Best oil for new 17.5 HP engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I found the manual on the website. It says SAE 30. Who knew

After a couple oil changes consider Amsoil ASE or ACD SAE 30.

Amsoil ASE SAE 30

Amsoil ACD SAE 30

So is 15w-40 a good sub for SAE 30?

It would probably work in the summer but the shoulder months the engine would be sluggish. Again a synthetic 15W-40 would be better than a non-syn 15W-40 (in cold)

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
I would run 10w30 which is what kohler recommends. Briggs recommends 5w30 synthetic. I have a kohler and ran rotella 10w30 for 20 hours.....came out black and thick.
I now run Amsoil Small Engine Oil which is designed for small engines. Comes out looking a lot better than the rotella I was using.

Sorry dude but your not going to tell how good an oil is based on a visual inspection.

So is 15w-40 a good sub for SAE 30?

Without going into a couple of paragraphs I'll condense.

K. I've got iirc 16 5.5 hp Honda powered air compressors,6 or 7 generators from 3500w to 6500w.
Every one of these machines run everyday. I've got 2 compressor motors with well over 10000 hours on them.
In warmer ambient temps I use rotella 15w-40 because I can buy 5 gallon pails which are required based on the volume of equipment.
I run everything on a 100 hour/2 week oil change interval.
Once I used a 0w-30 in a generator in the July 38c heat. In a single day the oil sump was low enough to trigger the low oil alert and shut off the generator.
I bought a pail of rotella on my way home from work that night.
Last week I tried qsud in the 5w-20 flavour since this winter has been brutally cold but I usually use 5w-30 super-tech,bought in 5 gallon pails.
In my experience fuel dilution is a real issue in every piece of equipment I own,so my 100 hour/second Saturday maintenance routine grew from the observation that more often than not the oil level got higher in a week,not less,so I dump it bi-weekly.
Compressors cost me 800 each. Due to fuel dilution I'm very confident wear increases in these small motors based on the simple splash lubrication system.
Oh,and 1/4 can liqui-moly mos2 every second oil change.

So yes. A 15w-40 hdeo is a suitable replacement for an sae 30,in most every application.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
I would run 10w30 which is what kohler recommends. Briggs recommends 5w30 synthetic. I have a kohler and ran rotella 10w30 for 20 hours.....came out black and thick.
I now run Amsoil Small Engine Oil which is designed for small engines. Comes out looking a lot better than the rotella I was using.

Sorry dude but your not going to tell how good an oil is based on a visual inspection.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not saying that a visual determines anything. It does however make me feel like the rotella t look like it thickened due to high heat......that's why I recommended running t6 in it if he insisted on using rotella.

I was merely stating my experience....is that not ok?

You're not going to tell me how good an oil is based on just saying its a suitable replacement either!!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Ill probly run T5

Good oil to run !!! I picked some up last year at Napa that came out to $11.99 after the $5.00 mail in rebate.

Cheers
Bo

Mobil 1 10w30 has proven itself as the perfect sae 30 small engine oil by many members. You can substitute your favorite brand here but it's really the only reason 10w30 synthetic gets the sales they do since 5w30 synthetic is superior in almost any PCMO application.

Directly from Briggs and Stratton. Their number one recommendation is 5W30 Synthetic followed by SAE30. I would myself go buy a 5 qrt jug of Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic High Mileage oil at Wal-Mart and then have several oil changes and top off oil available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

oil_viscosity_chart.jpg

Oil Recommendation

Synthetic 5W-30 -20 to 120° F (-30 to 40° C) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.

SAE 30 40° F and higher (5° C and higher) is good for all purpose use above 40° F, use below 40° F will cause hard starting.

10W-30 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher.

5W-30 40° F and below (5° C and below) is recommended for winter use, and works best in cold conditions.

Type of oil to use

Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher.

Do not use special additives.

Choose a viscosity according to the table above.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The engine probably only takes a QT or so, and thus cost is not really an issue.

The engine takes 48 ounces of oil, which is about a quart and a half.

I just got a new lawn tractor at lowes. Can I run 15w-40 in it? I have a huge supply. If not what is the best oil?

Volv04Life
What is the chance that you will be outside mowing when the temp is -30 or +30?? Really... All of this theoretical tooing anf froing is the downside of bitog, you already have an excellent oil for your briggs, it will be just fine.
grin2.gif

I've run just about everything in my old rider, including Aeroshell 15-50 aircraft oil, (it was free). If you want the very best oil get Amsoil 10w-30 Small Engine Oil, Rotella T6 5w-40, or M1 5w-40 turbo diesel. Otherwise use what you got. Do your first oil change at 5 hours, after that, every 25 to 50 hours. Service your air filter often, it is just as important as the oil. Enjoy your new toy.
smile.gif

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I just got a new lawn tractor at lowes. Can I run 15w-40 in it? I have a huge supply. If not what is the best oil?

Volv04Life
What is the chance that you will be outside mowing when the temp is -30 or +30?? Really... All of this theoretical tooing anf froing is the downside of bitog, you already have an excellent oil for your briggs, it will be just fine.
grin2.gif

I've run just about everything in my old rider, including Aeroshell 15-50 aircraft oil, (it was free). If you want the very best oil get Amsoil 10w-30 Small Engine Oil, Rotella T6 5w-40, or M1 5w-40 turbo diesel. Otherwise use what you got. Do your first oil change at 5 hours, after that, every 25 to 50 hours. Service your air filter often, it is just as important as the oil. Enjoy your new toy.
smile.gif

Wayne

I like this recommendation!!!

Kinda funny how they recommend syn 5w30 over entire temp range but they only recommend dino 5w30 for less than 45F or so. Wonder why that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back