Missiles Headed For The U.S....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice Missile Law that is. Just heard this on the radio today.

The law says drivers "shall remove any accumulated ice or snow from such motor vehicle, including the hood, trunk and roof of such motor vehicle, so that any ice or snow accumulated on such vehicle does not pose a threat to persons or property while the vehicle is being operated on any street or highway of this state." Those who fail to do so can be fined $75. If snow or ice flying from vehicles results in injury or property damage, drivers of non-commercial vehicles can be fined $200 to $1,000. The penalties for commercial drivers are $500 to $1,250.

Only about 10-15 drivers have been cited by state police under the new law, says Lt. Paul Vance, a spokesman for Connecticut State Police. Police are working to educate motorists about the law. Signs are posted at car washes and landfills around the state reminding drivers of the new law.

Several other states have similar laws:

•In New Jersey, drivers can be fined $25-$75 for failing to remove accumulated ice and $200-$1,000 if the ice flies off and causes injury or property damage.

•In Pennsylvania, drivers can be fined $200-$1,000 if snow or ice flies from their vehicle and strikes another vehicle or pedestrian, causing death or serious bodily injury.

•Washington allows police to stop drivers for traveling with accumulated ice on their vehicles, but the offense does not carry a fine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/18/connecticuts-ice-missile-law/4581121/

Man just remove it, I know it may seem hard but there a logic and safety concern behind the whole thing. If it's a car try to use a squeegy and not any kind of brush so you don't scratch your paint.

My issue with these laws is that doing it to my car runs the potential of damaging my finish, meanwhile trucks never seem to clean so they spew snow and bigger ice chunks all the time from higher up.

I clean it off my car because it is the required thing to do, but as long as the trucks throw ice in the winter and dumptrucks drop pebbles in the summer, I'm not happy.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My issue with these laws is that doing it to my car runs the potential of damaging my finish, meanwhile trucks never seem to clean so they spew snow and bigger ice chunks all the time from higher up.

I clean it off my car because it is the required thing to do, but as long as the trucks throw ice in the winter and dumptrucks drop pebbles in the summer, I'm not happy.

i agree with you, but i'm not happy with "one small hole in a foot of snow on my car" crowd or "mohawk in a foot of snow on top of my car" crowd.
at 30-55 mph and a bit of lateral wind will have a small snowstorm in front of me....
also some SUV dumping "boulders" from behind the wheel ....

These get passed because a small number of people don't use a shred of good judgement during bad weather.

In CT there is also a "headlights on when wipers in use" law. 1630 hours, driving snow and spray from cars, 200 ft visibility and grey and white vehicles barrelling along with no running or headlights....

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
In CT there is also a "headlights on when wipers in use" law. 1630 hours, driving snow and spray from cars, 200 ft visibility and grey and white vehicles barrelling along with no running or headlights....

you are lucky...
you should see them at night time....
...talk about Halloween all-year-round....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Good point....I got nailed a few weeks ago by a truck.

This happened in NJ a few years ago. Still doesn't stop people from unloading their ammunition from their cars.

It doesn't have to be 100% spotless, but there shouldn't be 6 inches of snow or ice on your car that fly off at highway speed
frown.gif

What they really need to do is stop those salt spreaders from releasing the salt from so high. I drove by 2 salt sprayers on my the opposite side of me that were flying down the road and shot my drivers side front to back with salt rocks. Can't see any damage yet but i still have a boat load of salt on my Venza.

Last edited:
Just never use a broom to clean your car that has been used to sweep up dirt off of a floor.

The sand particles embed into the nylon bristles and it will scratch your car's finish, and even scratch your windshield.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
These get passed because a small number of people don't use a shred of good judgement during bad weather.

One of my biggest pet peeves! I usually give the offenders a few flashes of my high beams,just enough to get their attention,not blind out of spite or for punishment.

As an aside,I did this to an older lady who merged onto the highway in front of me with no lights on while it was raining and well past dusk. No response, so I passed and thought no more of her...

The giant white Escalade that filled in behind her REALLY took offense.I watched for a few miles (traffic was a little congested) as he continued to flash his high beam and turn his own lights off ans on over and over and over again,all to no avail. More than likely she thought we were harrassing her for going exactly the speed limit (the Escalade was riding a little close,but not what I'd call tail-gating)

BACK ON TOPIC:

I always brush our cars off,but I refuse to scrape and chisel at my hood and roof in order to remove a layer of hard-packed ice/snow. However,if it warms up later in the day, I'll break up the chunks of ice and slide them off the car.

This came up last year about commercial motor vehicles. How do you clean snow off of a trailer that is 13'6" tall? Climbing that high without a harness is against OSHA regulations. There's no scraper long enough. Some companies have devices to clear snow off of trailers, but that won't help an over the road truck at a truck stop.

I agree that car owners need to do a better job, but considering most people are selfish and can't see anything beyond their nose, I don't see this improving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
This came up last year about commercial motor vehicles. How do you clean snow off of a trailer that is 13'6" tall? Climbing that high without a harness is against OSHA regulations. There's no scraper long enough. Some companies have devices to clear snow off of trailers, but that won't help an over the road truck at a truck stop.

I don't know but if a driver can't handle his rig safely he should step aside and let someone else in.

Then there's this:
laugh.gif

That's a cop-out. Again: the box is 13'6" high. Climbing up is not permitted. (It means instant termination from most companies.) Walking on the box is not possible. How, exactly, am I supposed to clear my roof?

Ask the company why it won't comply with the law and/or why it feels content to promote unsafe vehicle conditions. If they won't let you clean it off then they are allowing you to drive a vehicle which may be unsafe to others.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That's a cop-out. Again: the box is 13'6" high. Climbing up is not permitted. (It means instant termination from most companies.) Walking on the box is not possible. How, exactly, am I supposed to clear my roof?

Sounds like you need to review your equipment and procedures with your employer. I am surprised in that there hasn't been a few deaths and lawsuits to get your industry to do something already...

Not all of New England is dense. I've seen lots of trucks with snow on them; and lots of vehicles drop icechunks (you know, from the wheel wells) but I hear of few complaints on the news. Lots of complaints from people, few actual things on the news. Thus, most companies "feel" no real pressure to do different than any other company. "It'll blow off after a couple miles, what do we care?"

Of course, given how daft most drivers are they probably wouldn't know if a chunk of snow/ice hit their car anyhow.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

My first thought is...

What supercedes the other? Public law, or company policy?

Then balance that against consequence. Clearly losing your job hurts more than the fine, unless you cause an accident.

Maybe taking this to your employer and getting clarification would be in your best interests. I'd ask the question "who's goign to pay the fine if I get a ticket?"

does that mean the snow in my truck bed. cause it does kick up at speed. but dont think it blocks any ones vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back