Savage FCP-K in .308

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me likey!
cheers3.gif

Got it sighted in yesterday. Holy poo was it off. Like several feet at 150 yards.

It was insanely windy but I was able to bullseye the target and get decent groups (about 1") with it at 150 yards from prone when shooting between gusts. When shooting during the gusts, I'd get fliers that'd would be a few inches off from the group.

Gun has a surprising amount of "jump" (I'm hesitant to call it kick) given the weight and brake on it. And sweet Jesus is it LOUD.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it but will definitely be using the .223 a lot more than it (killed two squirrels with the .223 yesterday) because it is a lot more maneuverable, lighter, similar action, trigger, scope....etc. Just a better "fun" gun. The .308 is definitely the better long distance rifle though IMHO. I think with good ammo and less wind it would, if I do my part, group just as well at 300 yards as it does at 150 currently.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
What ammo did you use?

Federal 150 grain soft point.
When you get the scope dialed in you should try some Federal 168 grain match ammo and see how it groups.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What ammo did you use?

Federal 150 grain soft point.
When you get the scope dialed in you should try some Federal 168 grain match ammo and see how it groups.

Thanks for the tip, will see if the shop stocks it
smile.gif

All very interesting. Ditto on the 168 gr HPBT Nosler stuff. Have used both the Win & Fed varietis - all good. My M14 digests both & is consistently an inch & a half w/ iron. Yes, w/ iron. Incredible. Used the Win variety in a Rem 700 tri-fluted short barrel (18") that was smack-on one inch at 150 yards (Leupold 1-5 long relief). And that s---'s deadly on moose. Wouldn't think it but it grenade's the vitals.

John.

I have a 24 inch DPMS LR308, and it's my favorite all around gun. I'm a huge fan of the 308 in all it's forms.

The reason I mention this is that your gun (I believe) also has a 1 in 10 twist rate. This is not ideal for 150 grain 308 (milsurp and so on) but is absolutely perfect for Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain Boat Tail Hollow Point. That specific ammo in my 308 performs best.

The reasons are many. (by memory) First, it's metal jacket is thin and soft, the Sierra bullets are very well made, with extremely small deviation between bullets. The microscopic hollow point is not for expansion, but for aerodynamics. The area behind the hollow point is empty, biasing the weight of the lead back aft on the bullet a bit. Leading to better flight characteristics over long distances. The boat tail is another aerodynamic feature. The brass, powder and primer are match grade stuff.

I'm not going to make the claim that this is the ammo your gun will like best. But I will say it's very likely to be a good choice for long range target.

The farthest I've shot my 308 was 600 yards (in reality, I can't see small targets that far away) and I was able to hit an old car hood propped against a tree with ease. Given time, I can get all of my rounds on to a the paper target at that distance.

I know there are people that claim they can hit a quarter at 1000 yards. I don't listen to them. I've been shooting rifles for 40 years and know the reality of the situation. It takes skill, practice, understanding the daily conditions, and the right equipment. Even then, it takes time to work your way into accuracy. Trust me, hitting a car hood, first try, at 600 yards ain't bad at all.

Your gun will do this with ease. It's very likely to be sub MOA accurate.

Let us know how it works
smile.gif

OK, they didn't have the Federal match stuff, but they did have Hornady 155 grain match, so I grabbed 100 rounds tonight of it.

We'll see how this stuff shoots I guess?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have a 24 inch DPMS LR308, and it's my favorite all around gun. I'm a huge fan of the 308 in all it's forms.

The reason I mention this is that your gun (I believe) also has a 1 in 10 twist rate. This is not ideal for 150 grain 308 (milsurp and so on) but is absolutely perfect for Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain Boat Tail Hollow Point. That specific ammo in my 308 performs best.

The reasons are many. (by memory) First, it's metal jacket is thin and soft, the Sierra bullets are very well made, with extremely small deviation between bullets. The microscopic hollow point is not for expansion, but for aerodynamics. The area behind the hollow point is empty, biasing the weight of the lead back aft on the bullet a bit. Leading to better flight characteristics over long distances. The boat tail is another aerodynamic feature. The brass, powder and primer are match grade stuff.

I'm not going to make the claim that this is the ammo your gun will like best. But I will say it's very likely to be a good choice for long range target.

The farthest I've shot my 308 was 600 yards (in reality, I can't see small targets that far away) and I was able to hit an old car hood propped against a tree with ease. Given time, I can get all of my rounds on to a the paper target at that distance.

I know there are people that claim they can hit a quarter at 1000 yards. I don't listen to them. I've been shooting rifles for 40 years and know the reality of the situation. It takes skill, practice, understanding the daily conditions, and the right equipment. Even then, it takes time to work your way into accuracy. Trust me, hitting a car hood, first try, at 600 yards ain't bad at all.

Your gun will do this with ease. It's very likely to be sub MOA accurate.

Thank you for your insight, I'll try and source that ammo, I don't recall seeing it but they can probably bring it in.
cheers3.gif

Update:

Took out the .308 again today to run the Hornady 155gr Match Ammo (polymer coated steel casing) through it. I'm relatively happy with the results but not the ammo. It doesn't feed well and gets stuck in the clip. I do not have that problem with the brass. I also grabbed a picture of the 150 yard target from last time for comparison.

150 yard target (last outing) shot with Federal lead-tipped 150gr bullets on a very windy day. The 3x close shots were shot between gusts, the bottom-right one was shot during a gust.

150yards.jpg

This is a 100 yard target, shot today with the 155gr Hornady Match. I moved the scope (it was a bit out of alignment on the mounts) so there are groups all over the paper while I was trying to sight it in. The groups are pretty consistent IMHO, especially considering this is only my 2nd time shooting the gun.

The bottom-right shots are from my buddy's 300 win mag, which he was just breaking-in.

100yards.jpg

This was a 220 yard shot with the scope set for 300 yards. It has a bit more drop than the scope is dialed for. First three shots were low (didn't snap a pic) and were about 2" MOA.

220yards.jpg

Looks pretty good over-all. So what would you say the accuracy was based on those shooting results?

1 MOA is a 1" group @ 100 yards, 2" group @ 200 yards, etc.
2 MOA is a 2" group @ 100 yards, 4" group @ 200 yards, etc.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks pretty good over-all. So what would you say the accuracy was based on those shooting results?

1 MOA is a 1" group @ 100 yards, 2" group @ 200 yards, etc.
2 MOA is a 2" group @ 100 yards, 4" group @ 200 yards, etc.

The gun is more capable than I am at this point. The groups (I wish I had used a quarter or something on the 100 yard target) are about 1/2" (as you can see, most of the holes in the groups were touching/overlapping when I did my part). For example, if you follow the lines, on the #9 coming in from the left, picture the size of a .308 bullet and those three in a cluster were one group. The four below just to the right of that set were also one group. I was bringing the scope up one click when I shot that, hence the upward angle of the holes. Top right corner, the three holes that are all just one big hole? Also a group.

So based on that, I'd say it, using this ammo, when I can do my part, shoots about 1/2" at 100 yards. It would definitely be under 2" at 200 yards, as the group I did at 220 yards was ~2" and that was due to me, not the gun.

The that place you bought the rifle, are they able to get the Federal Gold Medal match ammo in? I bet you would get a bit better groups with that over the Hornady ammo.

The that place you bought the rifle, are they able to get the Federal Gold Medal match ammo in? I bet you would get a bit better groups with that over the Hornady ammo.

There's certainly no harm in asking, which I have not done yet (I believe these are the same ones Cujet recommended, no?)

Yep, its the same stuff
smile.gif
Excellent quality but pricy, worth it though.

Seems to be overwhelming consensus that it is what I should be shooting, based on this thread, LOL!!!
grin.gif

BTW, they (the gun shop) are going to see if they are able to get an M99, I asked about it on Friday. Won't be something I pick up in the next little bit, but as noted in my other thread, it is on my "must own" list.

The local range I went to early last week said we are OK to shoot it there too, which I thought was pretty cool
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back