'12 Jeep Wrangler, 3.6 pentastar, cold weather ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6L pentastar v-6...about 11,200 miles on the odometer; I am still using my 'free' oil changes thru my dealer; the oil they are using (most likely) is Pennzoil conventional 5w-30 & applicable MOPAR element filter; this winter has been colder (colder temps occurring more frequently) than previous years for my region (southcentral PA); my usual 'cold' start up is to let it idle long enough for the engine to drop to 1000 rpms or lower (unless there is lots of snow/ice removal to clean off the vehicle); my 'drive' distances can vary from 5-10 miles all the way up to 100 miles depending upon what my schedule is like; my current OCI just past 2500 miles...

how many more miles should I accumlate before I get a new oil change? concerns arise from fuel dilution, condensation, and whether the cold starts are causing increased metal-to-metal scuffing; thanks

Last edited:
Given your mileage, and if it were my Jeep, I would do at least 5,000 mile intervals.

To put it into perspective, my wife idles, short trips, and errands her car all over. Even in winter, the OLM extends to over 6,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Without an oil analysis (data), it's purely a guessing game.

Pretty much. All we have to go on is other's proven experience and UOA's.

Use the OLM warning. I have the same engine in the Grand Cherokee and it usually calls for an oil change between 6000-7500 miles for me.

Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
Use the OLM warning. I have the same engine in the Grand Cherokee and it usually calls for an oil change between 6000-7500 miles for me.

This <<< my light goes off around 3400 to 3600 miles.

The 2012's call for a max interval of 8,000 miles or 6 months for warranty. I'd follow the OLM without exceeding the max intervals.

When you do your own changes, be sure to get the correct filter for your year. They made some changes in them between 12-13-14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back