by jay929
Today at 03:25 PM
Bad fuel?
by wemay
Today at 03:16 PM
Mobil1 prices go up..
by lawman1909
Today at 03:13 PM
need help with grinding noise (pictures)
by friendly_jacek
Today at 02:48 PM
Newest Members
dee242, OilNovice, krunk, FSully1, Jtyler
51973 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (another Todd, AandPDan, aa1986, asand1, Analyzer, 01rangerxl, 8 invisible), 1653 Guests and 170 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51973 Members
64 Forums
222489 Topics
3521351 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3274935 - 02/08/14 02:53 PM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Pablo]
Vikas Offline

Loc: NorthEast
You can always manually turn on the headlights every time you drive. That will defeat the DRL without having to do anything else. Think of that as manual DRL :-)

#3275227 - 02/08/14 07:36 PM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Pablo]
Dupree Offline

Loc: Utah,Vernal (oil land)
they were generic marked but there is no doubt it is a toshiba HIR they have the special coating you can see in the right light and the funky globe, i think ill buy more before there gone since i run them in my cx9 as well
99 Ford Superduty
01 Subaru OutBack H6
08 Ford Explorer EB
08 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

#3275610 - 02/09/14 08:06 AM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Dupree]
Pablo Offline

Loc: Duvall WA - Pacific NW USA
Originally Posted By: Dupree
they were generic marked but there is no doubt it is a toshiba HIR they have the special coating you can see in the right light and the funky globe, i think ill buy more before there gone since i run them in my cx9 as well

So how do they look? I asked on Amazon and a guy said they have Toshiba brand on his. I bought two pairs. I assume they fit fine with the standard modification.

BTW Philips NEVER answered my email.

#3275677 - 02/09/14 09:14 AM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Pablo]
Dupree Offline

yeah they are straight up HIR they look like my toshiba branded ones at night. I have no doubt the new ones are good, but it was my understanding the coating is what allowed them to produce the lumens, so without it the newer ones, im just not sure how they are doing it without overdriving the filament
99 Ford Superduty
01 Subaru OutBack H6
08 Ford Explorer EB

#3277584 - 02/10/14 10:53 PM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Pablo]
B25urgandy Offline

Loc: West Michigan
We have the 9011 and 9012 (HIR1 & HIR2) in our 2010 Dodge Journey. They Journey uses the high beam on low power as the DRL as well. With this we have not experienced any issues other than it will have a shorter life (which would affect the standard bulb as well). The low beam compared to stock is absolutely noticeable, it isn't a "well I think I see the difference" it's an obvious "wow thats a lot brighter!" I do not have nay before or after pictures but you'll have to take my word on it. The only thing I had to do is trim the tabs a little bit, which I did using a craftsman multi cutter thingamabob. They also do not have any silver "caps" on the end of the bulb like standard bulbs have on them; which you can really tell with the brights on. The brights with these bulbs are crazy they really are. The Journey has reflector headlights and with these bulbs they are the best reflector type headlights I have ever had the chance to drive with at night. We also have 2 Astras with projectors with "old" bulbs and the DJ outshines them for now. That might change since the Astra takes a HIR bulb as well.
Edit:
BTW I got my HIR from candlepower store they are great to deal with, their products are 100% authentic and not [censored] knockoffs. I get my bulbs for all our cars/motorcycles from them. They also sell brighter halogen bulbs for turnsignals/brakes and 194s and such. That is if you aren't into the LED scene or your car is not LED friendly.

Edited by B25urgandy (02/10/14 10:55 PM)

#3277792 - 02/11/14 08:44 AM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Pablo]
simple_simon Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Originally Posted By: Pablo
VERY VERY nice light on HIGH. The old bulbs were on 60W, so just the 65W alone is nice. I have not driven the car, just installed and tried them behind the garage.

Now here's the bad news. Subaru had this not so great idea to use the high beams throttled back as the DRL's. Really stupid, IMHO, with a ginormous resistor to drop the voltage. The bulbs I took out already had some nice yellow stains inside. I'm afraid the bulb life will be squadouche with the stock bulbs which are Sylvania Halogen 9005 60W.

It will be really interesting to see how these 9011's look as DRL's. I wish I knew the resistor value and such so I could do some calculations.

They work fine in the high beams as DRLs. My BMW does the exact same with since I installed a Canadian DRL module. Still on the same two sets of HIRs and they're still great.

#3277796 - 02/11/14 08:49 AM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Dupree]
simple_simon Offline

"Our testing has the HIR1(was 9011) running 10.8% brighter than the Toshiba with a differently designed and upgraded filament gas mixture which also maintains the lumen maintenance throughout 70% of its life hours."

"This brand-new Philips bulb incorporates a burner based on the latest version of high-tech H7 architecture. It has a high-precision filament coil, 5-axis focused and positioned within the burner by filament supports configured to leave a metal-free zone around the filament. The thermal image comparison you see on this page shows how the new design gives vastly improved control over unwanted reflections of the filament from the bulb wall and filament supports. This greatly improves beam focus and reduces shadows and glare light within the beam. The tubular bulb gives excellent control of stray light, and it's made of low-distortion quartz with a new infrared-reflective coating with maximized optical clarity. The fill gas has been newly formulated to give the HIR2/9012 bulb's characteristic extremely high light output with very long life.

This new Philips bulb has the highest luminance of any HIR2 (9012) ever made: 30 Mcd/m2. That's 25% better than the previous best-in-class Toshiba bulb. The improvement can be clearly seen in the thermal image comparison, and it gives the driver a significant increase in beam punch, boosting the ability to see what must be seen at night and in bad weather in time to avoid a collision. Light quality is bright white, with an excellent color temperature of 3450K.

Rated lifespan is 1400 hours (Tc). That's 40% longer than previous designs, making this not only the brightest and best but also the most cost-effective HIR2 (9012) bulb ever made."

Sounds like you got hosed buying the old Toshibas.

Edited by simple_simon (02/11/14 08:49 AM)

#3277958 - 02/11/14 11:36 AM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: simple_simon]
B25urgandy Offline

Loc: West Michigan
Originally Posted By: simple_simon

They work fine in the high beams as DRLs. My BMW does the exact same with since I installed a Canadian DRL module. Still on the same two sets of HIRs and they're still great.

Like I said as well. Our Dodge Journey has the HIRs (phillips brand) install in both high and low beam and with the high beam as DRL we have seen no problem and they look good. Had them installed for almost 14 months and no problem with them, still very bright.

#3277996 - 02/11/14 12:17 PM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Pablo]
Dupree Offline

i wouldnt ever say I got hosed buying the Toshiba,it is a superior bulb, as for the claims i suppose once i see an independent test verifying they are indeed better and last longer ill buy into it, until then that sounds to me like a fancy way of saying we overdrive the filament to achieve the lumens, we've been getting the run around of filament design and special gas mixes in the bulbs for years, but in reality most just over drive the filament to achieve superior lumens, but it comes at a cost of life generally. Toshiba was the first to show that incandescent lighting can be high performance with long life, so while the new ones may pan out to be superior, im not ready to jump ship yet, nor will i ever feel i got ripped off, its a cutting edge bulb even to this day
99 Ford Superduty
01 Subaru OutBack H6
08 Ford Explorer EB

#3278100 - 02/11/14 01:54 PM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Dupree]
simple_simon Offline

i wouldnt ever say I got hosed buying the Toshiba,it is a superior bulb, as for the claims i suppose once i see an independent test verifying they are indeed better and last longer ill buy into it, until then that sounds to me like a fancy way of saying we overdrive the filament to achieve the lumens, we've been getting the run around of filament design and special gas mixes in the bulbs for years, but in reality most just over drive the filament to achieve superior lumens, but it comes at a cost of life generally. Toshiba was the first to show that incandescent lighting can be high performance with long life, so while the new ones may pan out to be superior, im not ready to jump ship yet, nor will i ever feel i got ripped off, its a cutting edge bulb even to this day

LOL as to the Toshiba bulb being superior. Philips uses a better gas mix but I guess that you didn't feel like reading. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?243470-New-Philips-HIR2-scrutinized

#3278341 - 02/11/14 04:51 PM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Pablo]
Dupree Offline

I never said it was superior to the Phillips in specific, superior in its context meant a fantastic bulb, I simply stated fact, the Toshiba HIR is an established performer and the Phillips has to prove itself with the years of service the Toshiba has in the HIR field,I have read the reports and data sheets on the Phillips with great interest, I understand the concept. But it is new and needs time to prove itself both in tests and years of use. I am sure it is a great bulb but if i can get the Toshiba design, I will gladly purchase them knowing it is a proven winner. I'm not going to engage in trolling I simply shared a place to find the original Toshiba bulbs whether you like it or not.

Edited by Dupree (02/11/14 05:00 PM)
99 Ford Superduty
01 Subaru OutBack H6
08 Ford Explorer EB

#3278486 - 02/11/14 07:07 PM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: simple_simon]
Pablo Offline

LOL as to the Toshiba bulb being superior. Philips uses a better gas mix but I guess that you didn't feel like reading. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?243470-New-Philips-HIR2-scrutinized

I think you may be right about the HIR2, well at least I mean that it's a pretty good bulb. But that is not what I started this thread about. I asked about the HIR1 and I still maintain there is very little real data bout the Philips HIR1. And Philips apparently is not talking and doesn't even show them on their site. And never even responded to my email. All quite odd in my book.

I have purchased some Delco Toshiba HIR1's so I will at least visually compare to the Philips.

#3280235 - 02/13/14 03:10 AM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Pablo]
simple_simon Offline

I think you may be right about the HIR2, well at least I mean that it's a pretty good bulb. But that is not what I started this thread about. I asked about the HIR1 and I still maintain there is very little real data bout the Philips HIR1. And Philips apparently is not talking and doesn't even show them on their site. And never even responded to my email. All quite odd in my book.

I have purchased some Delco Toshiba HIR1's so I will at least visually compare to the Philips.

You don't like reading either? Sheesh. Maybe you can look upwards a few posts and read about the specific differnces in performance between the Toshiba and Philips HIR1 bubls.

#3280236 - 02/13/14 03:11 AM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: Dupree]
simple_simon Offline

I never said it was superior to the Phillips in specific, superior in its context meant a fantastic bulb, I simply stated fact, the Toshiba HIR is an established performer and the Phillips has to prove itself with the years of service the Toshiba has in the HIR field,I have read the reports and data sheets on the Phillips with great interest, I understand the concept. But it is new and needs time to prove itself both in tests and years of use. I am sure it is a great bulb but if i can get the Toshiba design, I will gladly purchase them knowing it is a proven winner. I'm not going to engage in trolling I simply shared a place to find the original Toshiba bulbs whether you like it or not.

Um, the Philips have been available for 5 years. ROTFLMAO

#3280286 - 02/13/14 05:55 AM Re: PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 [Re: simple_simon]
Pablo Offline

You don't like reading either? Sheesh. Maybe you can look upwards a few posts and read about the specific differnces in performance between the Toshiba and Philips HIR1 bubls.

I think you just like to argue, because to most of us here, you certainly are not coming across as particularly informed or knowledgeable on the HIR1 questions. Yes you did provide one quote and the link everyone has seen/read (with plenty of HIR1 CHAT). And we can see the Philips 9011 bulb on Candlepower.com But I have not seen the level of testing between the two that I was expecting, or I would not have started this thread in the first place. Sheesh.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >