Rotella T5 vs Amsoil OE 10w30 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Have a 6.7 powerstroke and trying to decide what 10w30 to go with. I have been running rotella t6 with no problem just want to see if I can gain any MPG with the 10w30. If it was your choice which one would you go with? Don't mind spending more on Amsoil if its worth it. Thanks!

They are nearly the same. The diffrences are mute. T-5 is a semi where oe is full syn. The cold flow may be slightly better but that's probbly splitting hairs. The oe is claimed to be good enough for the oem oci. Where t-5 will go the same distance as well.

With that being said the cost is a little more with amsoil. I personally would go with t-5. It has a better price.

It's your money, choose what let's you sleep better.

-

What about all this talk about engine cleanliness and less sludge build up with synthetic? Plan on having this truck a long time.Is that true or is that more dependent on proper OCIs? Sounds like T5 is the way to go plus it is cheap!

I've used both and prefer the Amsoil. Been using it since last sept and run it 5-6k miles. Great uoa on last oil analysis. Have no complaints. Great full synthetic diesel oil for decent price!

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
I've used both and prefer the Amsoil. Been using it since last sept and run it 5-6k miles. Great uoa on last oil analysis. Have no complaints. Great full synthetic diesel oil for decent price!

Did you get a UOA on the T5? I am guessing for such short OCIs, either would work close to if not exactly the same. I hate to say it, but its time to jump off the Amsoil Koolaid. I did and never looked back. The other is less in cost just for the simple fact one can pick it up locally rather than order it and pay premium prices. Do a UOA on both. Numbers do not lie.

T5 is hard to beat on the cost and the dino version can be bought at a cheaper price. I found the Valvoline Premium Blue 10w30 on sale at Napa last year for $11.99 gallon.
Both are good oils just depends on your wallet and what your maintenance plan is.

Good Luck
cheers3.gif

B

Originally Posted By: simplistic
If you don't plain on extending the oci then t-5 would be cheaper. Better yet dino rotella 10w30.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Danny26
What about all this talk about engine cleanliness and less sludge build up with synthetic? Plan on having this truck a long time.Is that true or is that more dependent on proper OCIs? Sounds like T5 is the way to go plus it is cheap!

Cleanliness will be a non issue at 5000 mile drains. Any hdeo will do that interval with ease, unless there's an engine problem.
In a properly tuned,maintained and properly running engine a conventional hdeo,whether its devlac,rotella,delo or even supertech is more than capable of the 5000 mile drain your after.
If you're going to run a synthetic then the only way to get any return is to extend the interval,otherwise why even bother.
I'd buy a 5 gallon pail of supertech hdeo and call er done.
Cheap,easy,and more than capable of keeping your engine clean.

Run the T5, is my thinking. I use two jugs of T5 & hedge any bets w/ another jug of T6 in my Cummins 5.9 litre. Reduced pumping losses account for a few mpg on the highway. That's nice.

John.

The OCI duration is going to negate any difference (if any even existed at all) between the two. I recommend extending the OCI to get some value out of your selection, but I suspect you're set on 5k miles. So be it. At that OCI, a good dino would do every bit as well. But they are not as prominent in the market place, yet.

I don't know what you'd pay for the OE Amsoil; there are some vendors here that can get you a good deal, but you'd still have to pay for shipping. It is, in reality, hard to beat the combination of T5 at W/M for the shelf price of $16 and ease of attainment. Or, if you are near a farm supply store, the Mystik semi 10w-30 is a nice option. JD has a nice dino lube; we've seen roadrunner1 turn in excellent UOAs on his PSD with 10w-30. If you're near a Deere dealer, you might consider that. But Deere isn't known for bargains, typically.

The product you choose is not going to have any ability to affect lifecycle or cleanliness in a 5k mile OCI; any HDEO can easily cover this and much more. So you might as well buy the cheaper of any option you choose. I relaize that we are encouraged (brainwashed?) to believe there is a difference, but the reality is there isn't, and the data proves that every single day. UOAs and PCs and such show that short-to-moderation OCIs hold no advantage for a syn whatsoever.

Last edited:
For the record the Amsoil is $20 gallon and not at all hard to source. One prominent member here, ordered from me Friday night, gets his oil Tuesday AM. Another orders Monday AM, same deal Tuesday delivery, does not need to drive out to source. I'm not forcing anything on anyone and I generally have been avoiding such threads lately, but when people say Amsoil is tough to source, I have to scratch my head.

Thanks for all the info guys! Much appreciated! Really like my truck and just want to take care of it!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
For the record the Amsoil is $20 gallon and not at all hard to source. One prominent member here, ordered from me Friday night, gets his oil Tuesday AM. Another orders Monday AM, same deal Tuesday delivery, does not need to drive out to source. I'm not forcing anything on anyone and I generally have been avoiding such threads lately, but when people say Amsoil is tough to source, I have to scratch my head.

Well Pablo, when you can drive and get the oil you need versus waiting 1 or even 3 days to get it, I would say the other is easier to get and will provide the same amount of protection. Truth can't be denied. Um, and Rotella T5 is 16 a gallon, no shipping. Definitely cheaper. Again, truth.... Amsoil isn't tough to source, but certainly not as easy to get. Friday night all the way to Tuesday? That's 4 days and a weekend that could have been used to change the oil. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I can drive to my local WM in 15 minutes and get the oil I need and be back at my house draining the old oil in under 45 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also noticed that the walmart near me has started carring Motorcraft 10w30 diesel oil in 5 quart jugs. I think it was around 17 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back