Stihl MS170 Chain Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yucca
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Probably the best value out there right now in chain saws is the Poulan® Pro PP 5020 AV.

Do you have any action photos with your saw?

There are some videos on Arborist Site, its nothing special but does cut wood.
I like my 372xp but probably the next small saw I get will be a husky because of my good dealer, but I do respect Stihl for their dealers only business model. Husqvarna/electrolux/poulan make good pro saws, but I don't like the mixing of Poulan and the low end husky's and selling Husky's in the big box stores. Once its in a big box store it almost has to be a POS to be made cheap enough to be profitable. The only "selling feature" is the price at that point.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I like my 372xp but probably the next small saw I get will be a husky because of my good dealer, but I do respect Stihl for their dealers only business model. Husqvarna/electrolux/poulan make good pro saws, but I don't like the mixing of Poulan and the low end husky's and selling Husky's in the big box stores. Once its in a big box store it almost has to be a POS to be made cheap enough to be profitable. The only "selling feature" is the price at that point.

It is gonna be hard to beat the 372xp. No husky dealer in my area at all anymore. Sthil shops on every block just about. I don't think I can bring myself to do business with any of them. I need to get a 40-45cc class saw.
4_372_1.jpg

I'd like a light weight 40cc saw, to cut cedar posts, and to do some biking trails. For that stuff the 372 gets heavy pretty fast! Even a 346xp isn't actually all that light compared to the plastic saws, so I'm tempted to get a stihl one as I think they are a little better than husky/poulan.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
My first experience with a Stihl(chainsaw MS180)was the starting. Picked it up as a demo dirt cheap knew the dealer's old man so my first experience with a Stihl. My mistake was trying to start it like a Shindaiwa. Took me 3 hours to figure this out, almost threw it out in the dumpster(fustrated) why is a Stihl hard to start. The choke can't be used excessively(only pulled once) or it will flood the carb and wet the plugs. ...

I got fairly explicit starting instructions when I bought both the MS170 and the Kombimotor that I bought last year.

I've found the Kombimotor to start fine at 1/2 choke and found the same to be true of the MS170 thus far. (so far only one cold start)

Take care of it and it'll last a lifetime of basic, homeowner work. I just had an 029 Super gone thru by the local shop, they said it's in great shape.

Spent the afternoon with the MS 170 cutting up way bigger stuff than it is intended for...

Stihl Happy ...
laugh.gif

Duckryder... You don't find the 16" bar to be limiting? I'm looking to upgrade and love the idea of a a Stihl but am leaning toward a 20".

I'm no lumberjack and my current poulan is 16" which has served me well but just feel that when upgrading, I should go bigger

Originally Posted By: Finz
Duckryder... You don't find the 16" bar to be limiting? I'm looking to upgrade and love the idea of a a Stihl but am leaning toward a 20".

I'm no lumberjack and my current poulan is 16" which has served me well but just feel that when upgrading, I should go bigger

For a homeowner level saw, I see no compelling reason to go above 16".

Duckryder... You don't find the 16" bar to be limiting? ....

When you start to cut larger stuff I find the horsepower is a bigger deal than the bar length. It is a small saw and I'm talking about cutting up fallen/falling green trees. Not "limbs and small trees" as Stihl states is the purpose of this saw. Had I realized I would be needing to do so many medium sized trees I'd probably have gotten a slightly bigger saw... but I am not unhappy with this ones performance as it is outside its envelope and doing fine.

I found a Stihl 018c (180 in the new model numbering) at the dump.
Air filter and cover were missing and the bar and chain were trash.
Brought it home, put in a new plug and some fresh gas and it started up and purred like a kitten! I think I have $70-80 invested in the bar, chain, air filter and cover.
I have a Ms290 for bigger jobs, but the little 018 is lightweight and surprisingly powerful. I have had it close to 3 years and use it all the time for limbing trees and trimming my hunting trails.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Duckryder... You don't find the 16" bar to be limiting? ....

When you start to cut larger stuff I find the horsepower is a bigger deal than the bar length. It is a small saw and I'm talking about cutting up fallen/falling green trees. Not "limbs and small trees" as Stihl states is the purpose of this saw. Had I realized I would be needing to do so many medium sized trees I'd probably have gotten a slightly bigger saw... but I am not unhappy with this ones performance as it is outside its envelope and doing fine.

Good point about the hp

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
My mistake was trying to start it like a Shindaiwa. Took me 3 hours to figure this out, almost threw it out in the dumpster(fustrated) why is a Stihl hard to start. The choke can't be used excessively(only pulled once) or it will flood the carb and wet the plugs. Once wet forget it, starting is impossible. Need to pull the plugs out and air dry it. Always have a spare plug what I would do if it can't start you got a fresh one. Oh don't throw away the wet plugs more than anything they're probably alright, just wet plugs. It's a Stihl thing from my understanding.
This is extremely helpful, as that's exactly the way mine was behaving. I installed a new plug and it started right up, but I've had the issue again and now I know why. I'll try not using the choke for more than one pull next time and see if it helps.

I was just dismantling a large limb that fell across my fence, and had to restart my stihl 250 constantly if I ever let it idle more than 1/2 a second.

Im sure its just a matter of adjusting the carb to keep it from dieing in the cold weather, does anyone have a rule of thumb for that? No problems in the summer. Does it need the idle bumped or is jetting the proper path?

Do you have the shutter in the winter position to prevent carb icing? Pages 33 and 34 in your manual cover this.

Ed

+1 to the shutter in winter position. My MS250 is a bit picky about old gas. I use Premium, Marine Stabil, and 50:1 quality synthetic, but if the gas has been sitting more than 6 months or so, the 250 is rough on and off the idle and will die on idle. (half-choke will start and run again.... and repeat) Dump the old gas and fresh mix, off and running like new again. I've had it about 12 years and this has happened a few times.

I've never had issue with flooding using the choke. (would be nice if it had a bulb primer though) When cold, full choke for 2-3 pulls, or until it fires. then half choke for 1-3 pulls it starts.
When warm, no choke, 1 pull start. If it's been sitting a while, half choke, usually 1-2 pull to start.
(this is essentially per the manual and has always worked for me)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edhackett
Do you have the shutter in the winter position to prevent carb icing? Pages 33 and 34 in your manual cover this.

Ed

Doh!
33.gif

And G.Frost, thanks for the tips. Yes it had fresh gas, stihl motomix actually so I know it was good.

Last edited:
I Recently got an 18" bar for my 026 PRO and am loving it. The old bar was a 16" with possibly too small gauge chain on it. 16" is a bit short, and a 170 might struggle with a 20".

new18bar_zpsdabbdfa0.jpg

Originally Posted By: heyu
Anything Stihl or Echo is the way to go,
You pay a few dollars more but it is well worth it
I learned the hard way and wasted alot of money with the Craftsman garbage ( you get what you paid for )

Craftsman chain saws are now made by Husqvarna.

I have a Husqvarna 20" chain saw and feel its one of the top brands of chain saws, blowers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back