Direct competitors to K&N?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any other "performance" air filter companies? I know there is S&B but they support a lot less cars, maybe 50-75. Sakura does a couple of cars, but only like 12.

I'm using the amsoil oil less air filter on my Mach engined mustang. I love the dry ones.
I never oiled the k&n's properly. I always used too much oil. I like the dry ones better. No mess no fuss just install. Blow out with air hose when dirty.

I think as far as covering as many bases, they have no overall competitor. They have competitors for individual parts. I think their advantage is the sheer size of the company and the wide range of products they cover. They seem to be the first on the market with intakes when new cars come out. Plus they seem to offer intakes for applications that no-one else offers.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Like... Full intake or drop in? Aem,bbk,injen, etc are full systems...

I mean filters, sorry should have been specific.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I think as far as covering as many bases, they have no overall competitor. They have competitors for individual parts. I think their advantage is the sheer size of the company and the wide range of products they cover. They seem to be the first on the market with intakes when new cars come out. Plus they seem to offer intakes for applications that no-one else offers.

I had a S&B filter on my Mustang, it got dirty a lot faster than the K&N did so I assume that meant it was filtering better.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Spectre, but they are actually owned by K&N now and are Chinese manufactured filters, as compared to K&N's US built filters.

You mean k&n's Korean built filters...

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Spectre, but they are actually owned by K&N now and are Chinese manufactured filters, as compared to K&N's US built filters.

You mean k&n's Korean built filters...

The K&N oil filters moved to Korea, but I don't know what effect that has on the air filters. If anyone is curious Just look at the newest boxes of K&N air filters at any auto parts stores and it should have country of origin on it. Just check the date code because they sit sometimes years. I will be looking myself next time I'm at the auto parts stores.

I think the air filters are made in the USA but that still doesn't mean they belong on passenger cars.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Airaid, aFe, Green, Amsoil all make drop-ins.

As well as; Holley, and the now defunct Fram Air Hogs.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: nleksan
AFE ProDryS

^^^This is what I use in the summer, but I might try the AirRaid DRY next, IF Vararam never comes out with a ram air system for the 4th gen LS1 f bodies (which will use a bespoke Green filter ONLY), as they have been promising for the last 15 years!!

I use an Amsoil EaA83 in the winter to catch all of that wonderful salt dust in the air around here.
frown.gif

I put a Spectre in a Ford F150 I had a few years ago and I liked it fine. I also did an intake mod (which made the fresh air opening before the filter larger) at the same time and it seemed like it had a little more power after that. I did it early on in owning it so I can't really say if it helped with fuel economy.

http://www.sbfilters.com/

From what I've read, and having previously used one, these guys make the best reusable high flow filters. They're testing results prove the highest efficiency while not sacrificing airflow; you can look through the cotton gauze and there are no pinholes.

The problem with all these companies is that no one makes as many models as K&N does.

I'd use a S&B if they made one for my car, but they don't.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.sbfilters.com/

From what I've read, and having previously used one, these guys make the best reusable high flow filters. They're testing results prove the highest efficiency while not sacrificing airflow; you can look through the cotton gauze and there are no pinholes.

Are these dry, or oiled only??

K&N don't filter anything smaller than leaves and twigs - might aswell put some chicken wire over the intake forall the good it'll do.

The company that makes fiters for F1, WRC, BTCC, World Superbikes, Le Mans and the 24hr Daytona Grand Am Champs is called ITG Air Filters - better flow than K&N, better filtration than a factory paper filter.

http://www.itgairfilters.com/

Originally Posted By: Olas
K&N don't filter anything smaller than leaves and twigs - might aswell put some chicken wire over the intake forall the good it'll do.

The company that makes fiters for F1, WRC, BTCC, World Superbikes, Le Mans and the 24hr Daytona Grand Am Champs is called ITG Air Filters - better flow than K&N, better filtration than a factory paper filter.

http://www.itgairfilters.com/

True, and I've always wanted to use one, but they will probably NEVER make too many apps for U.S. domestic nameplated vehicles.
frown.gif
(I did NOT see mine on there, nor the same as mine '97-'04 C5 Vette apps.)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

True, and I've always wanted to use one, but they will probably NEVER make too many apps for U.S. domestic nameplated vehicles.
frown.gif
(I did NOT see mine on there, nor the same as mine '97-'04 C5 Vette apps.)

As far as whats listed in their catalogue you're right, they dont list much American stuff..

*BUT*

They will manufacture custom 'one-off' filters in any size/shape/style you want - if you send them an Email explaining what you want along with a photo/drawing with the dimensions then they'll contact you with a price, and if you want to go ahead they manufacture and dispatch in 10-14 days
banana2.gif
(EDIT - Even better if you can send them an original filter to copy)

Another plus is they keep the dimensions of anything they make, so if they've made a filter for your application in the past they can knock another one out in a couple of days!

I tried everything on the market from Mahle, Mann, Hengst, Cooper/Crossland, Fram, K&N, Green Cotton, Pipercross, BMC, Injen(or some other JDM make??) before I found ITG, the white tissue test still comes out immaculate after I wipe the clean side of the airbox even after 3 years/18,000 miles where all the other brands showed some amount of dirt (some more than others) at every FCI..I'll never use anything else tbh, I've been converted!

(NOT on commission.)
(your results may vary)

HTH!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back