003 Accord airbox lip crack..concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guys,

/Just changed the air filter in my accord, and noticed that the last time it was changed, someone took a chunk out of the outward facing lip that hangs over the lower portion of the air box.

You can see the side (seal) of the filter, but the two faces where the filter sits flush against to form the seal are intact. Just for mind I put a dab of gasket maker on the face of the seal above where the crack would be.

I actually took the whole box out, and it looks like it seals well top and bottom when its closed. the crack doesn't go above the mating surface, if that makes sense.
Its a tight fit, and looks like it got caught on the fender at some point.

any cause for concern? I guess this is common. See drawing....I was a bit bored.

[img=http://s3.postimg.org/lvu3n4n7j/Filter.jpg]

Last edited:
As long as no dirty air passes through you will be fine. You might sleep better if you can replace it with one from a junk yard, Amazon, or the like. Or do an UOA. If it comes back normal, run it and forget about it. Most people change their filters too soon anyway.

Yeah, I probably would!

by design though, this thing shouldn't be leaking anything. There are actually larger gaps in this lip where the two halves bolt together. In this entire area the sides of the filter are exposed.

I looked around and everyone seems to want $50 for a whole box. If it was leaking I'd be all over it....just seems like a lot for something I don't think is an issue.

That looks a lot like the design on my 96 Accord. If it is sealing OK I wouldn't worry about it. If it doesn't, then the upper and lower halves are probably available separately from an online dealer. I had to buy the lower half for my Accord due to one of the screws breaking off in the lower part. IIRC it wasn't very expensive.

Hi guys.

I actually haven't checked for air loss with the engine running. It is a chunk missing, BUT its just from the side, and it stops before the sealing flange. If this makes sense.

Inspect it closely, if it has a good seal, then don't worry about it. If the seal is not good, then you have cause for concern.

spray a little MAF cleaner in that crack while the engine is running. If it runs differently, you know you have a leak, and need to replace the airbox.

I had something similar happen to mine after changing a filter and putting the top back on. It is a tight squeeze getting the housing past the fender and the plastic "lip" on the side of the box is paper thin, so it deformed/tore and for piece of mind I replaced the top for ~$27. No change in silicon in my pre and post uoa's, so I think it was sealing well. IMO it is a poor design-everything needs to contort to get the box up and out of the way.

Thanks for the help. That's good to know!

I also like the idea of spraying MAF cleaner on the box. I'll do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back