Differences between TCW-3 and regular 2-stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering 2 things:

What is the difference between TCW-3 2-stroke oil, and 'regular' 2-stroke oil; and

Would there be any long-term harm in running 'regular' 2-stroke oil as a UCL, instead of TCW-3? Those who use 2-stroke as a UCL seem to push using a TCW-3 product, not 'regular' stuff.

Just curious....

tc-w3 is for watercooled application

tc is for air cooled, also has more ash

then you can get into jaso FD etc.

Last edited:
Briefly --

TC-W3: Marine (water-cooled), ashless detergents.
JASO/ISO: Land (air-cooled), ash-type detergents.

As for automotive UCL usage, TC-W3 is appropriate as the ashless formulation will curb deposit formation. Using a "regular" oil would be inappropriate, as the low temperatures would lead to nasty desposit accumulation.

There are of course exceptions, but that's the basics.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Are you guys using the TC-W3 mineral or synthetic formula?

For this particular purpose, it doesn't matter. Just use the cheapest 2-cycle oil that meets the TCW3 standard. For our intended use, it is the additive package that is the most important factor. I have had excellent results using the cheap WalMart oil that you can buy by the gallon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123

For this particular purpose, it doesn't matter.

Here's the product I've been using:
7eeWRA6.jpg

X5JadI5.jpg

Reading the label, it appears very similar to Evinrude XD50: http://shop.evinrude.com/product/343544/764354/_/XD_50_2-Cycle_Oil

Superior lubricity and combustion cleaner makes for a nice UCL...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^ I wonder if that is the Pennzoil stuff in an Evinrude bottle?

How do you figure that?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
^^^ I wonder if that is the Pennzoil stuff in an Evinrude bottle?

How do you figure that?

Just that there are not too many manufacturing a semi-synthetic TCW-3 oil, and I highly doubt that Evinrude-Johnson has an oil cracking plant anywhere.
But yes, it could be made by Conoco Phillips, or others.
wink.gif

For this particular purpose, it doesn't matter. Just use the cheapest 2-cycle oil that meets the TCW3 standard. For our intended use, it is the additive package that is the most important factor. I have had excellent results using the cheap WalMart oil that you can buy by the gallon.

I agree.
Tc-w3 is a spec. If the 2 stroke oil used meets this spec then its equal in performance to all others that meet the tc-w3 spec.
As an ucl using an expensive synthetic is absurd. Buy the cheapest available. It'll perform identically to any other tc-w3.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Tc-w3 is a spec. If the 2 stroke oil used meets this spec then its equal in performance to all others that meet the tc-w3 spec.

I hope you're just talking about TC-W3 within the confines of UCL usage.

i bought a gallon of ST TCW3 after reading Sarge's most excellent "been testing" thread. What a great maintenance procedure. I had the best DEQ results I have ever seen because of it. I just ran out of the Super Tech and just started using the Pennzoil TCW3 that I got for 49 cents a quart thanks to the 5 off 5 thing O'Reilly did last spring.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I hope you're just talking about TC-W3 within the confines of UCL usage.

Yes. Only as it pertains to using it as an upper cylinder lube.

I agree.
As an ucl using an expensive synthetic is absurd. Buy the cheapest available. It'll perform identically to any other tc-w3.

So do you think that even the Pennzoil semi-synth stuff is "too good", and a waste of money?? (SERIOUS question, NO sarcasm/animosity inferred or implied.
wink.gif
)

I agree.

So do you think that even the Pennzoil semi-synth stuff is "too good", and a waste of money?? (SERIOUS question, NO sarcasm/animosity inferred or implied.
wink.gif
)

It isn't "too good", just a waste of money
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back