Oil Filter cutting? what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
those ridgids go only up to 1"1/8 I think, I use bigger pipe cutters for small diameter filters, and sawzall for bigger filters.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
^I have one of those. How do you cut open an oil filter with it?

You need one of these to use those cutters;
crackmeup2.gif

2s0n0q9.jpg

Ok, ok, seriously, I use a Dremel. My son in FL. has my Ridgid pipe cutters that cut 2-1/8" OD to 4-1/2" OD pipe.
I was just having a little bit of fun with BITOG members.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I use this one:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80532/10002/-1
Many people here have that one, and they will all say it doesn't do small-ish diameter filters. The two wheel mounted in the end are too small & too far apart. If they would re-design it slightly is would work on smaller diameter filters better.

How small? The oil filter for my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 is 2.65" in diameter and it cut it open just fine.

Mine won't quite do a Classic L14610, which is 2.70" diameter.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=L14610

Maybe they changed the design slightly - how long ago did you buy yours. Mine is maybe 3 years old now.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Ok, ok, seriously, I use a Dremel. My son in FL. has my Ridgid pipe cutters that cut 2-1/8" OD to 4-1/2" OD pipe.
smile.gif

You got me! I thought maybe there was some secret method. I recently inherited a Dremel tool set and tried cutting open of my used Skyactiv filters. Based upon how long it took to make a single penetrating cut I think it could take thirty minutes to open up a filter. Which attachment do you use? I tried a 1/32" cutting wheel.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
smile.gif

You got me! I thought maybe there was some secret method. I recently inherited a Dremel tool set and tried cutting open of my used Skyactiv filters. Based upon how long it took to make a single penetrating cut I think it could take thirty minutes to open up a filter. Which attachment do you use? I tried a 1/32" cutting wheel.

That's what I use. I usually use 2 wheels and about 30 minutes to cut open a filter. Taking this much time does not bother me. I have nothing else to do.
But, I tried cutting open a FRAM XG43 with my Dremel but the can is too thick. I have a Dewalt 4.5" grinder and a Bosch 4.5"X .040" cutting wheel I will use on it.
thumbsup2.gif

I use this one:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80532/10002/-1
Many people here have that one, and they will all say it doesn't do small-ish diameter filters. The two wheel mounted in the end are too small & too far apart. If they would re-design it slightly is would work on smaller diameter filters better.

How small? The oil filter for my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 is 2.65" in diameter and it cut it open just fine.

Perhaps the JEGS model has narrowed the distance between the guide wheels, but for the Summit anything ~3" or less doesn't hit the wheels and basically rubs the the cross bar, many show worn black paint in the center area. It will cut but not with a smooth action. The pic below show an example on a now discontinued AAP Total Grip 7317 which would the same diameter as the PL/L 14610.

OT, The AAP TG was a really good value Puro variant and a Bitog favorite, especially on bogo and closeout. Had a nice stash of them that I used up. First dissected filter I ever posted was an AAP TG posted in this thread was a Total Grip, and another in this thread.

srcutter.jpg

Okay, nevermind that wont work. Its solid there and where that section bolts to the bar. I tried a FL400 again and I do see that it rubs on the center section pretty good. They obviously were not thinking of filters smaller than a PH5/8/2.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Okay, nevermind that wont work. Its solid there and where that section bolts to the bar. I tried a FL400 again and I do see that it rubs on the center section pretty good. They obviously were not thinking of filters smaller than a PH5/8/2.

And that's why I gave with relatively inexpensive HF exhaust cutter a shot. It has four cutting wheels and with some technique experience it does a reasonably good job.

I'm curious to know if the linked Jegs model has improved on the Summit design by moving the guide wheels closer together.

I got mine from Summit racing a while ago, it was $45, basic looking, but it works.
I have problems cutting into Wix & purolator filters tho..
it eats thru fram & bosch's like nobody's business.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I use on of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Longacre-Oil-Filte...l+filter+cutter

This one doesn't work on very small diameter filters either.

I'm pretty sure it can be modified to work with small diameter filters by swapping out the bearings with ones with a larger OD.

It doesn't cut smaller filters even if you move the two posts the bearings are on inward toward the cutter?

I use on of these:

This one doesn't work on very small diameter filters either.....

Based on it's appearance I've long thought the Longacre was the creme dela creme of filter cutters. But if it doesn't work on smaller diameter filters I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. Just me.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
.... I think the best bet would be a cast pipe cutter with the cutting wheels

This may or may not be applicable, but a poster or two tried to use the Harbor Freight pipe cutter with little success. They ended up crushing the can(s) more than cutting it open.

I use on of these:

I'm pretty sure it can be modified to work with small diameter filters by swapping out the bearings with ones with a larger OD.

It doesn't cut smaller filters even if you move the two posts the bearings are on inward toward the cutter?

Must be a new model. I didn't notice the extra holes. Mine doesn't have them.

Last edited:
I use on of these:

Must be a new model. I didn't notice the extra holes. Mine doesn't have them.

Get out a drill and bit that's the same size as the current holes and put in another set of holes like on the newer model for the roller bearings. Seems like it would be very easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back