07 caravan key scenario Fob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parents bought an 07 Caravan with 1 key fob. I'm reading that you need 2 or more for programing a new one. So looks like I need 1 more fob.

Is this a key fob and an extra key shown below? I could use the grey key as a hide a key for them? Or is the extra grey key shown below not usable as an extra hide a key.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140864978626?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

C

The gray key looks to be a transponder key from earlier model Dodge vehicles. It should also be able to be programmed and used as a key to start the van. If you want a key to hide to just open the doors, look for one with a black rounded head on it.

I tried that (had 2 working fobs) for my Dodge Challenger (2010) and it didn't work. Ace Hardware sells keyfobs, but I don't know about for Chrysler. I ended up having the dealer program the key, and a couple months later the fob malfunctioned. So about $125 down the drain. My advice is to just buy the fob at the dealer and suck up the little extra money paid out. BTW the ebay fob looked identical to the Dodge fob, but maybe the internals were different or maybe I just got a bad one or one that didn't pass QC.

Last edited:
Have a 2001 Jeep so may or may not be the same.

1) I bought a key like the gray one on EBAY and had it cut locally and used my two working keys to program the system for the new key. No problem a few years latter.

2) I had only one key FOB and bought another at the dealer, they programmed it at no cost.

Make sure you go to a locksmith to get the keys cut. There are a lot of machines out there that are out of adjustment. I had my first key cut at a hardware store. It did not work in the ignition. A $12 lesson. My second key was cut at a locksmith. I showed him the non working key and he laughed at how out of adjustment the cutting machine must have been.

Don't you need a key with a chip in it before the vehicle will start? Does the black key you are talking about chipped?

Yes I only go to a locksmith for making auto keys now. It's not worth the hassle otherwise.
Originally Posted By: 97f150
The gray key looks to be a transponder key from earlier model Dodge vehicles. It should also be able to be programmed and used as a key to start the van. If you want a key to hide to just open the doors, look for one with a black rounded head on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back