Impressed with the Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil on the Uplander today, ended up going with QSUD 5w30 and a TG again. I cut open the TG to see how it held up as it was the first time I had used one...I was very impressed. The pleats were all even, endcaps were very much in place, the ADBV was very pliable, all in all it did a great job! Pics will be posted soon, just wanted to share my experience.

Lots of buzz surrounding the TG here lately. I sought one out at my last OCI but Walmart didn't have any left in my size so I tried the ACDelco but I'll be getting a TG soon. As far as cost and availability combined with performance go it seems top notch. Fiber end caps don't scare me anymore.

Can't wait to see the pics, glad you had a good experience.

Last edited:
i just used one today with maxlife. this is my second straight one seems good so far, with a 7500 oci for me

The Tough Guard is my favorite high efficiency or longer OCI filter period. Greg I honestly think you'll like the TG better than the Ultra on your Honda, give it a shot and save some coin too!

Greg, i am glad you are capable of seeing how good the TG filters are, unlike many of the fram bashers who are not capable of learning.

Look forward to the pictures, hopefully you can work on extending your changes in the future, the TG should be good for 7,500 miles easy.

I don't get all the love for the TG. It's an overpriced OCOD that isn't going on one of my engines!

I've used the Ultra when there were on a buy one get one free special, but I still can't get myself to use Fram's lower end filters.

No e-cores for me either!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't get all the love for the TG. It's an overpriced OCOD that isn't going on one of my engines!

I've used the Ultra when there were on a buy one get one free special, but I still can't get myself to use Fram's lower end filters.

No e-cores for me either!

The TG has much better media and a silicone ADBV though. The end caps are largely a non-issue and lately its been the beloved Purolators that are having a common torn media pattern.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

The TG has much better media and a silicone ADBV though. The end caps are largely a non-issue and lately its been the beloved Purolators that are having a common torn media pattern.

We all know what it is, I just don't like how Fram constructs their lower end filters. I think there are better filters out there for the money.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

We all know what it is, I just don't like how Fram constructs their lower end filters. I think there are better filters out there for the money.

I do not agree that there is a better filter for the $6 or so i can get a TG for. I have 2 Ultras on deck next but if i was not going to buy another synthetic filter i would be getting a TG.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
... if i was not going to buy another synthetic filter i would be getting a TG.

To clarify, the TG is a synthetic blend media, not 100% synthetic.

I have used them, and have been impressed. They are light in weight yet the outer shell is rigid and would seem to resist dents well. I have run them up to 8000 miles; no issues. I am sure they will do 10K in a car like mine.

I would like to add that they are cheap if had on sales. About two years ago some guy sold off 10 of them that would have fit my car @ about four dollars each shipped. If I did not have too many other filters in the Stash, I would have bought all of them.

I don't get all the love for the TG.....

There seems to be several factors at work recently here, but pointless to go into detail. Suffice to say there's more than meets the eye going on. What I don't get as I've noted before, is a separate thread starter with post use dissection appearance details frequently lacking filter change interval information, followed shortly by another thread starter on same topic with pics repeating the same information.

As for the TG, at ~$6 everyday WM price it keeps other quality silicone adbv filters in the discussion for the same or less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back