Group 7 Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone use or knows the quality of these filters? I don't see these filters discussed much here on the forum. Could it be due to their low price of less than $2 a filter? Opinions appreciated.

I would venture the lack of discussion is due to lack of availability. I've never heard of them before. Also, I think if you look around, most aren't opposed to cheap filters as long as they're well built.

Do you have any idea who makes these filters?

I think they are made by purolator. Definately not a common filter in my area.

-T

I also believe they are made by Purolator and they are usually sold to mechanics/garages and not to the general public. I would bet that they are the same filter as Powerflo or Proline and therefore are a pretty good inexpensive filter.

After some digging, I've been able to confirm that Group 7 filters are made by ArvinMeritor, the parent company of Purolator. It also seems clear that they are indeed sold mainly to garages and oil change houses as others have stated. Neither the ArvinMeritor nor the Purolator site have any mention of Group 7 filters. It would be very interesting to see one cut open and to get some efficiency/flow specs.

I used to run Group 7 filters all the time when I had a garage doing my oil changes. He assured me they were good filters, but I still didn't like the cheapo look of "Group 7" on the can and went back to doing my own changes. Nice to know I had good filtration at the time.

My local independent auto parts store sells the "Group 7" oil filters and Fram oil filters. The "Group 7" do appear to be Purolator made. They use to sell Motorcraft but they droppped them. So when the need arises I buy the "Group 7" oil filter instead of a Fram.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Ironic that ArvinMeritor makes both Motorcraft and Mopar oil filters.

Mopar usually buys from whoever gives them they best deal in bulk. Right now I believe that leader is Fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back