PHILIPS 9011/HIR1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
VERY VERY nice light on HIGH. The old bulbs were on 60W, so just the 65W alone is nice. I have not driven the car, just installed and tried them behind the garage.

Now here's the bad news. Subaru had this not so great idea to use the high beams throttled back as the DRL's. Really stupid, IMHO, with a ginormous resistor to drop the voltage. The bulbs I took out already had some nice yellow stains inside. I'm afraid the bulb life will be squadouche with the stock bulbs which are Sylvania Halogen 9005 60W.

It will be really interesting to see how these 9011's look as DRL's. I wish I knew the resistor value and such so I could do some calculations.

They work fine in the high beams as DRLs. My BMW does the exact same with since I installed a Canadian DRL module. Still on the same two sets of HIRs and they're still great.

Originally Posted By: Dupree
they were generic marked but there is no doubt it is a toshiba HIR they have the special coating you can see in the right light and the funky globe, i think ill buy more before there gone since i run them in my cx9 as well

"Our testing has the HIR1(was 9011) running 10.8% brighter than the Toshiba with a differently designed and upgraded filament gas mixture which also maintains the lumen maintenance throughout 70% of its life hours."

"This brand-new Philips bulb incorporates a burner based on the latest version of high-tech H7 architecture. It has a high-precision filament coil, 5-axis focused and positioned within the burner by filament supports configured to leave a metal-free zone around the filament. The thermal image comparison you see on this page shows how the new design gives vastly improved control over unwanted reflections of the filament from the bulb wall and filament supports. This greatly improves beam focus and reduces shadows and glare light within the beam. The tubular bulb gives excellent control of stray light, and it's made of low-distortion quartz with a new infrared-reflective coating with maximized optical clarity. The fill gas has been newly formulated to give the HIR2/9012 bulb's characteristic extremely high light output with very long life.

This new Philips bulb has the highest luminance of any HIR2 (9012) ever made: 30 Mcd/m2. That's 25% better than the previous best-in-class Toshiba bulb. The improvement can be clearly seen in the thermal image comparison, and it gives the driver a significant increase in beam punch, boosting the ability to see what must be seen at night and in bad weather in time to avoid a collision. Light quality is bright white, with an excellent color temperature of 3450K.

Rated lifespan is 1400 hours (Tc). That's 40% longer than previous designs, making this not only the brightest and best but also the most cost-effective HIR2 (9012) bulb ever made."

Sounds like you got hosed buying the old Toshibas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_simon

They work fine in the high beams as DRLs. My BMW does the exact same with since I installed a Canadian DRL module. Still on the same two sets of HIRs and they're still great.

Like I said as well. Our Dodge Journey has the HIRs (phillips brand) install in both high and low beam and with the high beam as DRL we have seen no problem and they look good. Had them installed for almost 14 months and no problem with them, still very bright.

i wouldnt ever say I got hosed buying the Toshiba,it is a superior bulb, as for the claims i suppose once i see an independent test verifying they are indeed better and last longer ill buy into it, until then that sounds to me like a fancy way of saying we overdrive the filament to achieve the lumens, we've been getting the run around of filament design and special gas mixes in the bulbs for years, but in reality most just over drive the filament to achieve superior lumens, but it comes at a cost of life generally. Toshiba was the first to show that incandescent lighting can be high performance with long life, so while the new ones may pan out to be superior, im not ready to jump ship yet, nor will i ever feel i got ripped off, its a cutting edge bulb even to this day

i wouldnt ever say I got hosed buying the Toshiba,it is a superior bulb, as for the claims i suppose once i see an independent test verifying they are indeed better and last longer ill buy into it, until then that sounds to me like a fancy way of saying we overdrive the filament to achieve the lumens, we've been getting the run around of filament design and special gas mixes in the bulbs for years, but in reality most just over drive the filament to achieve superior lumens, but it comes at a cost of life generally. Toshiba was the first to show that incandescent lighting can be high performance with long life, so while the new ones may pan out to be superior, im not ready to jump ship yet, nor will i ever feel i got ripped off, its a cutting edge bulb even to this day

LOL as to the Toshiba bulb being superior. Philips uses a better gas mix but I guess that you didn't feel like reading. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?243470-New-Philips-HIR2-scrutinized

I never said it was superior to the Phillips in specific, superior in its context meant a fantastic bulb, I simply stated fact, the Toshiba HIR is an established performer and the Phillips has to prove itself with the years of service the Toshiba has in the HIR field,I have read the reports and data sheets on the Phillips with great interest, I understand the concept. But it is new and needs time to prove itself both in tests and years of use. I am sure it is a great bulb but if i can get the Toshiba design, I will gladly purchase them knowing it is a proven winner. I'm not going to engage in trolling I simply shared a place to find the original Toshiba bulbs whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

LOL as to the Toshiba bulb being superior. Philips uses a better gas mix but I guess that you didn't feel like reading. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?243470-New-Philips-HIR2-scrutinized

I think you may be right about the HIR2, well at least I mean that it's a pretty good bulb. But that is not what I started this thread about. I asked about the HIR1 and I still maintain there is very little real data bout the Philips HIR1. And Philips apparently is not talking and doesn't even show them on their site. And never even responded to my email. All quite odd in my book.

I have purchased some Delco Toshiba HIR1's so I will at least visually compare to the Philips.

I think you may be right about the HIR2, well at least I mean that it's a pretty good bulb. But that is not what I started this thread about. I asked about the HIR1 and I still maintain there is very little real data bout the Philips HIR1. And Philips apparently is not talking and doesn't even show them on their site. And never even responded to my email. All quite odd in my book.

I have purchased some Delco Toshiba HIR1's so I will at least visually compare to the Philips.

You don't like reading either? Sheesh. Maybe you can look upwards a few posts and read about the specific differnces in performance between the Toshiba and Philips HIR1 bubls.

I never said it was superior to the Phillips in specific, superior in its context meant a fantastic bulb, I simply stated fact, the Toshiba HIR is an established performer and the Phillips has to prove itself with the years of service the Toshiba has in the HIR field,I have read the reports and data sheets on the Phillips with great interest, I understand the concept. But it is new and needs time to prove itself both in tests and years of use. I am sure it is a great bulb but if i can get the Toshiba design, I will gladly purchase them knowing it is a proven winner. I'm not going to engage in trolling I simply shared a place to find the original Toshiba bulbs whether you like it or not.

Um, the Philips have been available for 5 years. ROTFLMAO

You don't like reading either? Sheesh. Maybe you can look upwards a few posts and read about the specific differnces in performance between the Toshiba and Philips HIR1 bubls.

I think you just like to argue, because to most of us here, you certainly are not coming across as particularly informed or knowledgeable on the HIR1 questions. Yes you did provide one quote and the link everyone has seen/read (with plenty of HIR1 CHAT). And we can see the Philips 9011 bulb on Candlepower.com But I have not seen the level of testing between the two that I was expecting, or I would not have started this thread in the first place. Sheesh.

exactly, to earn a rep of any credibility being a jerk or condescending is the wrong approach. and like it or not there still isn't any real meaningful side by side comparison, I built a new HIR bulb filled with magic farts for the gas its 54% brighter then the Phillips HIR, see I can say stuff too. and while i'm sure the Phillips is a great light there are certain truths in lights, and special gas rarely allows more light, without some sort of compromise the idea behind the special gas is they can overdrive the same 65 watt filament without overheating it and killing it premature, does it work idk maybe but its old school light hot rodding technology there. Toshiba changing the shape of the bulb for the right reflections off the special coating to excite the light was some actual new thinking, so whether or not you think the Toshiba suck and Phillips are awesome isn't really pertinent unless you can provide some meaningful information besides a cut and paste of one conversation and the brochure, Pablo will be able to compare both I find it meaningful, and the fact I showed him were to find the old style shouldn't have gotten a derogatory comment from you, If I feel they are a good deal still what is it to you. I'm sorry if you dont like that but see your way to anther conversation where you can "help"

Last edited:
I ended up buying 4 of the Toshiba bulbs. Since I already have a company Amazon Prime account it's free second day shipping. They all shipped from different locations. Crazy but that tells me they are getting scarce.

Like I've said we replaced regular 9005, and 9006 with HIR1 and HIR2 by Philips and they are brighter than the bulbs they replaced. I'm not sure it it's due to them "hot-roding" them or not but from my personal experience they are brighter. Just have not compared them to the toshiba brand due to never having a pair

just an fyi, amazon has a seller selling toshiba style hir1 bulbs in an ac delco box, these have the old style toshiba bulb shape and coating. they are 23 each i will be installing them tomorrow in my subaru outback. I did check mine and the day time running lamps on mine are the low beams seems dumb of subaru to do high beams for drl since they generally have such a short life span

Now here is the downside. They don't fit my WRX, and it has nothing to do with the tab modification. The main problem so far is the OD of the plastic base right where it inserts in the receptacle. I am making progress, but it's a huge PITA. Anyone fight this battle before?

Originally Posted By: B25urgandy
Like I've said we replaced regular 9005, and 9006 with HIR1 and HIR2 by Philips and they are brighter than the bulbs they replaced. I'm not sure it it's due to them "hot-roding" them or not but from my personal experience they are brighter. Just have not compared them to the toshiba brand due to never having a pair

I've had both (still do) and I don't see any noticeable difference between them when behind the wheel. When professionally tested, the Philips shows a 10% advantage over the Toshibas.

I've had both (still do) and I don't see any noticeable difference between them when behind the wheel. When professionally tested, the Philips shows a 10% advantage over the Toshibas.

you've had the Phillips and the Toshibas? I've only had the Phillips and standard 9005/06 bulbs. I meant I can see a noticeable difference over the standard 9005/06 bulbs. But…that difference now that I think about it was from comparing 2 year old 9005/06 to brand new 9011 and 9012 HIRs. So it was an unfair comparison at the night I installed them.

Originally Posted By: B25urgandy

you've had the Phillips and the Toshibas? I've only had the Phillips and standard 9005/06 bulbs. I meant I can see a noticeable difference over the standard 9005/06 bulbs. But…that difference now that I think about it was from comparing 2 year old 9005/06 to brand new 9011 and 9012 HIRs. So it was an unfair comparison at the night I installed them.

Yes, I've had both and still have both. Both are a large upgrade from the stock bulbs and an even bigger upgrade when you run 15V to them like I do. Not a single burnt out bulb in all of these years either.

I have them in my Jeep. Very nice compared to original.. I just needed a dremel tool to trim up the bulb so it could fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back