Cleaning compressor sump: What to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to clean, this is, remove the sludge form my air compressor pump. It has a large inspection plate that I can remove to access entire sump. I've done it this way before many bolt to remove and then remove old gasket material and make new gasket.

I would like to clean it by adding some cleaner (????) with oil. Then run it and drain contents and refill with oil. What could I safely use that would work.

I would spray with brake parts cleaner after you remove the plate. If your bottom plate has waffle patterns, it'll be more difficult to remove the wear metals but it can be done.

Spray with compressed air to remove parts cleaner and then refill with whatever suitable oil.

Acetone,xylene,toluene. Any of these will work. If you've got a wire brush you can scrub the mud off.
However prior to disassembly I suggest running some mmo/seafoam in the pump. Overfill it so the mmo/oil splashes up against the bottom of the piston. Open the tanks draincock so the compressor can run full blast with minimal resistance.
Once you've run the compressor for a half hour or so drain and let cool.
Then use one of the solvents listed and a wire brush to clean whatever's left.
After the mmo/seafoam flush I doubt there'll be much to hand clean.
Some compressors allow the use of m1 15w-50 in the pumps. That or some syn v-twin oil would maintain cleanliness.
If using a detergified engine oil in the compressor pump I strongly suggest looking through the sight glass for air bubbles and if you see some you have to use ND-30. It won't bubble but since its non detergent it won't clean either.

Drain and fill, run for a short period like 2 minutes , drain and refill, done.
- I think your making a simple change way to complicated..

Originally Posted By: ac_tc
Drain and fill, run for a short period like 2 minutes , drain and refill, done.
- I think your making a simple change way to complicated..

Depending on the deposits he has - that won't do much for him. If he did that first fill cut w/ 10-20% of a solvent like kerosene (cheapest and easiest to find compared to toluene or any of those) then he's on the right track.

If you want a long term easy solution - fill it with a diester fluid and spend the rest of your money on a few oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back