1985 Ford LTF Crown Victoria 5.0L
Filter: Motorcraft FL1A

1985 Ford Ranger 2.3L
Filter: Motorcraft FL1A

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S 3.3L
Filter: AC Delco PF47

1995 Toyota Camry 2.2L
Filter: Fram PH4967

I'm going to switch all the vehicles to Supertech oils/filters since I heard they're the best bang for the buck

I need the corresponding ST filter sizes for the filter above (Motorcraft FL1A, AC Delco PF47, Fram PH4967)

Also, I've searched everywhere, but I can find a part # list for ST filters. Why isn't there one? Makes hard to find out what filter you need
mad.gif

Wal-mart should have a book or computer with part numbers. If not it's probably lost or stolen.

Your cars would be:

1985 Ford LTF Crown Victoria 5.0L
Filter: Supertech ST8

1985 Ford Ranger 2.3L
Filter: Supertech ST8

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S 3.3L
Filter: Supertech ST3387

1995 Toyota Camry 2.2L
Filter: Supertech ST4967
you might be able to use a ST3614, ST16, ST3600 or even a ST8.

I would stick with the motorcraft on the Ford apps though.

Thanks for the part #s

Also, why Motorcraft over ST?

I'm also partial to Motorcraft, but if the ST is comparable in performance and is cheaper, then why not use it instead?

For a Ford Application it requires a bypass valve. On the Supertech the valve is on the non threaded end meaning oil has to flow past the dirty side of the filter to go through the bypass. On the motorcraft, the bypass is on the threaded end meaning the oil can cirulate without passing the filter media. Some have also speculated that the bypass isn't as good.

Also the motorcraft has a silicone ADBV and gasket. Well worth the extra $1 IMO.

-T

None of the FL-1A filters I've ever used did.

From what I've seen, the only Motorcraft filters with the silicone anti-drainback valve have an "S" in the part number, ie FL-820S, FL-400S, etc.

Prior to the mid-90s the FL-820 did NOT have a silicone anti-drainback valve. I believe that they changed that to address startup noise with the 2.5L V6 as used in the Mercury Mystique/Ford Contour. A TSB issued about the problem in mid-96 mentioned that the FL-820 had been replaced with the FL-820S and that this filter should be used to reduce startup noise.

I do not know when the FL-400 became available with an anti-drainback valve as the FL-400S, I would guess around the same time.

I suspect that Ford decided not to bother with an anti-drainback valve on the FL-1A because by the mid-90s they had pretty much replaced it with the FL-820S. For example, newer 5.0L V8 engines take the FL-820S, not the FL-1A.

Good info. I guess I was imagining things, or just mixing up my filters.
tongue.gif
I'm a GM guy, so I only use the Motorcraft filters when working on friends or family members' cars. Is the mating gasket silicone on the FL-1A?

Either way I'd probably still use the Motorcraft.

So bottom line, it's safe to use the SuperTech filter, right?

Only difference is in the price. SuperTech filters are cheaper than their Motorcraft counterparts
smile.gif

They are both safe to use, but there is a difference. I would choose the Motorcraft because of the bypass valve and a little better construction.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Is the mating gasket silicone on the FL-1A?

Either way I'd probably still use the Motorcraft.

I believe that it is. I've never had one get stuck to the filter mount.

My only concern with the Motorcraft filters is that they didn't get such a good rating on filtration ability on the Grease Oil Filter Study.

Therefore I think it might be worthwhile to upgrade to the Purolator Pure One, or, if having the bypass in the threaded end is what you want, the Wix filters.

EDIT: The FL-1A has a nitrile rubber anti-drainback valve, as did the FL-400 and FL-820 (no S in part number). I just realized that my previous post gave the impression that they had no anti-drainback valve at all, which is NOT the case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back