At what point does cold idling outweigh mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a TBI Chevy. These are known for fuel dilution as it is. On top of that my work commute is less than two miles but I still idle my truck every weekday morning for 10 minutes to get some heat out of it for myself. Average morning has been 2-6 degrees so thats almost an hour idling in the cold (running extra rich) right there alone and the engine never actually get to full operating temp on my way to or from work.

I don't drive this vehicle much. Current PYB fill is at 5.5 months and just over 1000 miles. Besides my short work commute I almost never take it on the highway and its other trips are about 20 minutes long in mixed backroads and stop and go city traffic.

My point is, it's very low mileage but its some super harsh short tripping. I'm leaning toward running 6 month OCIs now regardless of mileage. Last OCI was 10 months and 3200 miles on VWB and the used oil felt like water. I've done quite a few oil changes and never felt oil that thin. Made me think twice.

So what do you guys think? Ridiculous to drain at just over 1000 miles or completely rational to drain potentally fuel and moisture contaminated dino twice a year?

I'd be more concerned about the moisture and condensation in the oil than the fuel wash.

A 10 minute warm up on a cold day right before a short trip is smart thinking.

You done good.

Letting it idle for 10 minutes so you have heat for less than a 2 mile drive is a waste. Tough it out or get an electric heater.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

I don't drive this vehicle much. Current PYB fill is at 5.5 months and just over 1000 miles. Besides my short work commute I almost never take it on the highway and its other trips are about 20 minutes long in mixed backroads and stop and go city traffic.

My point is, it's very low mileage but its some super harsh short tripping. I'm leaning toward running 6 month OCIs now regardless of mileage. Last OCI was 10 months and 3200 miles on VWB and the used oil felt like water. I've done quite a few oil changes and never felt oil that thin. Made me think twice.

So what do you guys think? Ridiculous to drain at just over 1000 miles or completely rational to drain potentally fuel and moisture contaminated dino twice a year?

I had Valvoline do that to me once too. That is why I will never again use Valvoline. No other oil ever broke down like that on me.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Letting it idle for 10 minutes so you have heat for less than a 2 mile drive is a waste. Tough it out or get an electric heater.

It's hard to operate the controls when your shaking.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Exactly! I will not be purchasing an electric heater and I will continue to idle my truck on very cold mornings. Its also a safety issue because without that bit of heat my defrosted doesn't work and I can't see because the inside of the windshield keeps getting foggy even after I wipe it manually with my hand or a small rag.

Originally Posted By: johnachak

I had Valvoline do that to me once too. That is why I will never again use Valvoline. No other oil ever broke down like that on me.

Yeah I wasn't impressed. I switched to PYB and I had no idea about boron content of PYB running quieter, until I researched it right after I ran my truck after the oil change and it sounded noticeably quieter at idle. And I like that. So now I don't see a reason to choose Valvoline over any other brand.

Why not an electric heater? A block heater would speed up the heat inside significantly, both your car, window cleaning and your own warmth.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Why not an electric heater? A block heater would speed up the heat inside significantly, both your car, window cleaning and your own warmth.

I live in a complex with no garage and my parking space isn't right outside my door. I cannot use a block heater.

I'll never understand the, "Car is more important than the person" mentality. Let the engine tough it out.

Follow the severe service OCI. No point in changing your lifestyle to accommodate your engine, especially in this cold snap we've had.

I agree, especially if the OP is going out to start, then back in the apartment, then back out to the car in the cold. Could have been at work by then, warm and toasty, and not polluting the atmosphere for 10 minutes. Also I agree change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage.

Agree with what you're doing. For example, if I start up my F-150, wait for the RPM's to drop a little, and take off...it takes seemingly forever for the water temperature to fully come up.

However, with just a few minutes of idling, things happen in a much more speedy manner, and I have excellent heat within a short distance.

Of course, if you want to go full-BiTOG, we can start talking about oil analysis and high TBN oils!
wink.gif

Since we're just offering options...
Why not just drive a bit longer route to work to warm up the engine at normal running rather than idling?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Said like a true southerner!! I'm no wuss and I spend a lot of my free time in very cols places (winter mountaineering, ice climbing, etc...) but something about very cold mornings and an ice cold steering wheel get to my core!

My grandfather would always be wrapped up in all his winter clothes for driving; I refuse! 5-10 minutes makes a big difference when it's single digits.

One thing I didn't think about when posting early -- have you given any thought to replacing the thermostat?

Stant SuperStat #45359 (195°F/OE Temp) is only $4.27 on RockAuto. If it gets you up to temperature quicker, the small cost/time investment would be well worth the outlay.

This is a tough situation. Cold idling would indeed be bad for the oil... more blowby as the rings don't expand and seal like they are designed to do under some load and a rich mixture to boot.

If there are things you can do to add load, lights, heater fan (even though it will be blowing cold) etc. will help it warm up faster.

I think there ars such things as fuel fired engine pre-heaters, probably mostly for big rigs, but I don't know where to get one or how practical they would be for you.

I'd use thin, cheap oil and dump it when the weather warms up.

Does the OP leave the car running, unattended on a public highway? Isn't that illegal, if not highly dangerous?

(And an insurance void if its stolen)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back