just curious...what is in new Slick 50 Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just out of curiosity...what is in Slick 50 Synthetic treatment? is it still ptfe (teflon) or have they switched to something else like moly or some type of new super polymer? the packaging is very vague...

I do not plan to use it...just curious; thanks

bottle+label+snake+oil+copy.jpg

I wouldn't use it to oil a squeaking household door hinge no place in my workshop for a drop of that.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
A VOA on that stuff would be interesting to see.

It would be, I doubt anyone would pay for one though.

It gives you an extra 8HP, why are we not all using this stuff? It unlocks 8 hidden HP that your engine, and its engineers never knew it had! Magical...

Originally Posted By: bvance554
It gives you an extra 8HP, why are we not all using this stuff? It unlocks 8 hidden HP that your engine, and its engineers never knew it had! Magical...

It also improves fuel economy so much you actually have to take fuel out of the car, it magically fills the tank with fuel as it runs.

I think we should get together on here and get a group buy maybe we can get a huge discount.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

That's not so magical. You can get an extra 5 hp just by using red spark plug cables. And, the cables last for months or years - not just a single oil change.

spectrographic analysis shows ingredients include ground-up banana peels, Crisco, and unicorn semen.

I have an 81 Caprice, V-6, Back in 2000 I blew out the oil sending unit, lost all my oil. Ticking like crazy. I drove 12 miles to my garage and didn't even overheat. Fixed the sending unit, refilled with oil and NO problems since, runs beautifully. I believe Slick 50 does work.

Slick 50 has a YouTube series where LarryMac tears down an engine (I don't think he does it himself) and talks about Slick 50. He says it has ZDDP and a friction modifier in it. Kind of sound like motor oil.

My ol' man was a firm believer in SLick 50 for years! I very much remember him taking me on a road trip to pick up a dirtbike as a kid and we were in his mid 80's Chevette. On the way home it blew a rear main seal and emptied the oil pan, it wasn't until we were almost home that the dummy light came on and he checked the oil to see it was empty. That car still ran great when he sold it!!! He gave all the credit to Slick 50...

Personally, I've used Slick 50 and had it actually do something positive...once, back in the mid 90s'. I had an '82 Daytona turbo, and if it sat for more than a couple of days, it would clatter for 30 seconds to a minute on start up. I poured in a bottle figuring "What's the worst that could happen?" Their marketing premise was that 80% of engine wear happened in the first ten seconds after start up, and that's where I was getting the engine noise.

I poured in a bottle at the next oil change, and really didn't think much more about it. About a month later, the car sat for a week while I was away on vacation, when I started it up, no clattering! Was it a "miracle cure".. was it capable of fixing a fried engine? Ummm... I seriously doubt it, but it DID stop an aging engine from clattering on start up after sitting for more than a couple of days. It never made the start up clatter again, for over two years, until I sold it. Other than stopping the start up clatter... no discernible effect at all. No increase in mileage, power, engine temp... nada.. With additives, if they even work at all, it would seem that the best thing to do is pick the one that (claims to ) target a specific problem.

Originally Posted By: Chucksta
Personally, I've used Slick 50 and had it actually do something positive...once, back in the mid 90s'. I had an '82 Daytona turbo, and if it sat for more than a couple of days, it would clatter for 30 seconds to a minute on start up. I poured in a bottle figuring "What's the worst that could happen?" Their marketing premise was that 80% of engine wear happened in the first ten seconds after start up, and that's where I was getting the engine noise.

I poured in a bottle at the next oil change, and really didn't think much more about it. About a month later, the car sat for a week while I was away on vacation, when I started it up, no clattering! Was it a "miracle cure".. was it capable of fixing a fried engine? Ummm... I seriously doubt it, but it DID stop an aging engine from clattering on start up after sitting for more than a couple of days. It never made the start up clatter again, for over two years, until I sold it. Other than stopping the start up clatter... no discernible effect at all. No increase in mileage, power, engine temp... nada.. With additives, if they even work at all, it would seem that the best thing to do is pick the one that (claims to ) target a specific problem.

The Teflon particles in slick 50 in the 90s were big enough to get filtered out by the oil filter,which then plugged your oil filter causing it to send unfiltered oil through the engine.
So basically you plugged the filter which may have helped exercise the by-pass valve helping it close so at start up it held oil to the top end,instead of it draining back into the pan.

Teflon is bad news in an engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back