Neo Synthetic 10W30 Voa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very thin 30 weight oil loaded with excessive zddp . Never heard of this oil , is a racing oil or break in perhaps? What is the API rating if any? If this is for a common car or daily driver I would surely skip it and move on to another oil.

This is their street oil. No real API but the bottle states exceed SM/CF.
I'm thinking about putting this in my weekend car, a Subaru STi with forged internals making a little of 500 whp with methanol injection.

How can they say that it's closer to a 5W-30 than a 10W-30 by the KV100 ???

They could say that it fell outside the bounds of 30 and was actually a 20...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
What is NEO brand oil? Never heard of it

It is a small, specialized, 'boutique' synthetic based oil company (one of the first boutique oils way back), known mainly for their supplying a VERY VERY expensive, high temp, CV joint/bearing grease to some Formula 1 teams.

Their oils are somewhat out dated, and have been surpassed by fellow Calis Red Line (as far as add packs/base stocks/VI/etc. go), which is what I would use in the op's time attack

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

It is a small, specialized, 'boutique' synthetic based oil company (one of the first boutique oils way back), known mainly for their supplying a VERY VERY expensive, high temp, CV joint/bearing grease to some Formula 1 teams.

Their oils are somewhat out dated, and have been surpassed by fellow Calis Red Line (as far as add packs/base stocks/VI/etc. go), which is what I would use in the op's time attack

Yeah either the redline or amsoil zrod is what I'm going with. I'll use the 1qt of neo oil I have to top off my daily driver.

Last edited:
I don't know how true this is, but I've read in a history of synthetic oils article that 'Neo' oil is the old 'Eon' oil company re-named.

Eon was one of the first syn oil companies around, and they made a diester 10W-40 in the early 1970's that was made by Emery, and was basically the same as early Amsoil and other diester 10W-40's.

They don't specifically claim it anymore, but for the longest time they claimed their oils were still majority diester basestock, making tem one of the only companies to still do this.

For a long time as well, they used lead nap as anti-wear additive in their oil; we've seen UOA's and VOA's that confirm this. Seems they have stopped doing this, but their oils are still big-time old-school: this stuff looks like it comes right out of the 1970's, especially is it still used diester basestock.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I don't know how true this is, but I've read in a history of synthetic oils article that 'Neo' oil is the old 'Eon' oil company re-named.

Eon was one of the first syn oil companies around, and they made a diester 10W-40 in the early 1970's that was made by Emery, and was basically the same as early Amsoil and other diester 10W-40's.

My recollection correlates with yours. EON was headquartered in Houston and was a trade name for Pacer Lubricants. They later changed it to Ultron. E-11 was a 10W-40 diester. Later they added a 5W-30. They also sold an SAE 30 for diesels, D-20, a 10W-50 motorcycle oil, G-1050, a two-cycle synthetic, T-2, an ATF, and some greases and lubes.

This would around the same time Amsoil was Amzoil.

I have never been able to document any connection at all between these folks and the NEO outfit in California, and just assumed that whoever said there was a connection was simply passing on misinformation.

Samples of NEO that I have seen over the years have had some strange additives for a motor oil such as, my recollection is the same as yours, lead. That led me to conclude that trying it out in any engine I valued was foolhardy.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Thin for a 30-weight? Yeah, it's a 20-weight.

Yes it is probably their 5w-20, better to email Neo asking to verify the batch number for the quart the OP has with him, with perhaps the wrong label !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back