Nissan Filter vs others

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get 2 free changes, but after that am going to do my own changes. How does the Nissan OEM filter stack up vs other like M1, Ultra, RP?

The recent versions are different than the older versions. There's a thread about this somewhere...

As mentioned it could well depend on what version of the Nissan filter you get. The one the dealer used on my Altima years ago was a nitrile adbv fiber end cap filter made in China. It held up fine but as far as construction goes was nothing special.

The one I've seen posted here most recently, now has metal end caps and a silicone adbv. The construction looked much more durable and most commenting seemed to like it's construction better. That said, as with majority of oem filters, efficiency is a question mark.

I hear the newer Nissan filters are better constructed than the older ones. I'd like to try one out in my Infiniti one of these days.

The new Nissan oil filters are made in Mexico by Gonher. They will not give any information concerning efficiency or any other specs. I tried the Nissan shorty filter for my Altima and started getting a startup tick for a couple of seconds each morning. I thought it might be cold weather related so I replaced that new filter with the other new shorty Nissan filter I had. This too gave some startup ticking noise, although not as often or as long per episode.

I then went out and purchased a Fram Toughguard 6607 oil filter and have not had any noticeable startup tick as of yet. I do know the silicone ADBV on the Nissan filter is less rigid than that of the Toughguard. I am surprised by the outcome of this experience, but I have used the Toughguard 6607 before on my Altima and also my Frontier and have had very very little, if any, startup tick from the Toughguard. I did try the Fram Ultra 6607 once and did have some startup tick with that filter though. I do not understand that, since I understand the full synthetic oil filter is supposed to flow better than the semi-synthetic Toughguard.

I can understand some noise from 1 defective Nissan filter, but not 2 in a row. I have lost my confidence in OEM Nissan filters. That's for sure. I think I will stay with the Toughguard. Any thoughts out there?

In 2008 I bought a case of 10 Nissan/Infiniti oil filters from my Infiniti dealer. When I used them up, I switched to Union Sangyo C-218 filters, made in Malaysia, not China. A good local source is BAP-Geon if there's one in your area. Best internet source for the C-218 is www.oscaro.com at $3.75 each. Oscaro also carries the Hengst at $4.75 each. I've used Union Sangyo filters for 24 years with never a problem. Go with what you're comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back