'04 F550, 6.0L PSD, Delo 400 10w-30, high K, Na

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA I've done on the 2004 F550 with a 6.0L Powerstroke we bought as a service truck for use on our farm. Truck has been real great for us so far with few issues. As soon as we got the truck I changed the oil to Delo 400 10w-30 and added some Rev X additive. I also did EGR delete, flushed the cooling system and switched it to a red ELC coolant, added and coolant filter, and added a Fleetguard LF777 bypass filter. I have no idea the history of this truck. I called the Ford dealership it was originally purchased from with the VIN before we committed to purchasing it but they weren't able to give me much service history due to the fact they changed the way they store their files since then? The truck has about 169,000 miles total. I'm not sure the mileage on the oil but it has 187 hours. Changed the oil when we got the truck early last spring.

Fe 17
Cr 1.1
Mn .7
Ni .7
Al 4.4
Pb 4.2
Cu 1.3
Sn 2.1
Si 5.6
Na 39
K 861
B 1032
Mo 72
Mg 574
Ca 1521
P 943
Zn 1056
S 1945

Soot 0%
Oxid 60%
Nitr 58%
Sulf 61%

TBN 10.88
Visc 10.44

Seems real good except for the high Potassium and Sodium indicating might be a head gasket leak or something which these engines are known for. I did have the coolant go down on me some that I had to top it up but I also had an external leak on the radiator which I think I repaired. The Viscosity still seems good and wear metals are real low so do you think I should keep running and resample at a shorter interval to see if the coolant contamination continues to go up or just drain the oil and resample again next year?

Last edited:
Immediately after my initial post I did a google search on the Rev X additive and high potassium and I guess a lot of people have seen UOA results like that. Sounds like Rev X contains a lot of K, Na, Ca, and B. So, I'll just keep running the oil and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
Immediately after my initial post I did a google search on the Rev X additive and high potassium and I guess a lot of people have seen UOA results like that. Sounds like Rev X contains a lot of K, Na, Ca, and B. So, I'll just keep running the oil and see what happens.

I was kind of thinking along those lines. It seems like I have seen similar boron and potassium numbers in other uoa reports using Rev X or similar products. Even on "rinse" oci there's a fair amount still showing as residue, so to speak.

On a side note, have you considered Archoil 9100 in lieu of Rev X? I'm sold on the stuff and it's half the price.

Originally Posted By: sdan27

Just monitor the situation, but just about all the additives for the 6.0 have potassium in them... and quite a bit of it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back