Interesting official info from MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I believe it's intuitive to any mechanically inclined person that a pan full of oil will not rust thru. Do you have a hard time seeing that?

I notice that you list no Nissan's in your fleet. "A pan full of oil won't rust through" my shiny pink bottom!

I believe it's intuitive to any mechanically inclined person that a pan full of oil will not rust thru. Do you have a hard time seeing that?

They rot from the outside in, due to poor paint, road salt, being cheaply made, or all of the above. It seems pretty common for some of the older Ford's, at least according to a mechanic friend of mine. I've heard of some issues with GM as well although I never saw one. But then again if you live in the rust belt all bets are off I guess.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
And another thing, I've heard that habitual users of MMO have compromised oil pans. Perhaps the acid formation fear has been realized in this location?

Or perhaps MMO is literally penetrating the metal as they claim to do?

Yeah they do:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/oil-pan-rusted-out-t509065.html

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/rusted-leaky-oil-pan-81289/

http://www.nissanforums.com/l31-2002-2006/170835-oil-pan.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-...-pan-02-se.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/oil-pan-rust-646924/

http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-1998-03/10535-rusty-oil-pan.html

I could post more, but there really is no need.

Last edited:
I think it is common sense that the oil in the pan would help prevent rust. If there was poor quality paint on the outside of the pan and especially with states with a lot of humidity rust would probably start from the outside.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
The GT500 will *never* see 1923 era additives in 2013 oil formulation.

Good call. I can't imagine that you'd get any disagreement on that decision, well at least not from real experts.

Just watch out for those who don't understand the difference between cleanliness of working parts vs deposits in non working areas.

Ironically, the working parts need oil free of aftermarket additives, but some will focus on the cosmetic cleaning properties insistent that that is all that matters.

Yeah they do:

dude, Not from the inside.

Dude, you made a blanket statement that they don't rust through when full of oil.

I have a hard time see the words "inside".

Last edited:
The GT500 will *never* see 1923 era additives in 2013 oil formulation.

Good call. I can't imagine that you'd get any disagreement on that decision, well at least not from real experts.

Just watch out for those who don't understand the difference between cleanliness of working parts vs deposits in non working areas.

Ironically, the working parts need oil free of aftermarket additives, but some will focus on the cosmetic cleaning properties insistent that that is all that matters.

As for acting as a UCL:

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I have yet to see any STLE, SAE, or lab document that shows any scientific (thermodynamic, tribological, chemical, or mechnical) evidence to support the need for an upper cylinder lubricant.

I wouldn't presume to say otherwise.

Once again the additive police are here. TremorS your agenda is as obvious as your piousness.

But let's consider the numbers. With millions of vehicles in unique duty cycles driven by millions of unique folks with all sorts of unique combinations of new and old worn parts, differing fuels, hills, deserts, etc.

We are truly to believe that one oil works for all of them? And also that NOTHING can improve their operating condition? Just the math indicates that some will be outside the norm and may require an additive to compliment their operation.

Something tells me that ARX will soon be recommended...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Your imagination. I have never recommended it.

Once again the additive police are here. TremorS your agenda is as obvious as your piousness.

But let's consider the numbers. With millions of vehicles in unique duty cycles driven by millions of unique folks with all sorts of unique combinations of new and old worn parts, differing fuels, hills, deserts, etc.

We are truly to believe that one oil works for all of them? And also that NOTHING can improve their operating condition? Just the math indicates that some will be outside the norm and may require an additive to compliment their operation.

LOL you made me toggle..............

We are truly to believe that one oil works for all of them? And also that NOTHING can improve their operating condition? Just the math indicates that some will be outside the norm and may require an additive to compliment their operation

And the aftermarket additive companies have tested their additives for these millions of unique duty cycles and provide precise instructions for what to use when and in what quantity.

Let me see ..........

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
LOL you made me toggle..............

crackmeup2.gif

I thought you advocated additives for cleaning, not for the millions of different duty cycles out there.

They require it?

Which one for what requirement? Every oil brand/type/viscosity requires it or just some?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
They require it?
Which one for what requirement? Every oil brand/type/viscosity requires it or just some?

Easy, man, I said MAY require it. It's only a maybe, never definitely.

Kind of like looking for life among the stars. Even though you can't find any direct evidence, the sheer numbers suggest there is much we do not know...

To paraphrase Molakule:

"What from 1923 do you think the oil formulators should have included in fully formulated oils that MAY be required in the millions of different duty cycles?"

Toggle away.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
They require it?

Well yes. Advertising beats science ya know

Your imagination. I have never recommended it.

And I don't use it, so............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back