A followup question on clear bra yellowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why only the plastic bumper part got yellow?
I'm curious now. There was no difference in washing, waxing, etc.

DSCN2768_zpsd8bcc167.jpg

It's not only yellowing. It's deteriorating and flaking off. It must have been from an older roll. The dealer gets what, nearly $1000 bucks to do that?

Maybe this is caused by the differing paint formulas between a plastic adhering paint, and a metal adhering paint. If anyone knows different please feel free to correct me, but I can imagine the auto manufacturer uses two different paints/primers for metal and plastic pieces. Perhaps the plastic paint can leach chemicals and discolor these clear protectant films. I'm no auto-body guru, and I could be far out on this...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Isn't this one of those el-cheapo ebay kits?

Yap, it was. I forgot how much i paid, probably under $40. I guess it must have been defective film that went on the plastic bumper. Now, I remember I have a rear bumper protector too ("genuine" toyota) and it looks great. So, it's not plastic paint issue.

However, I did some searches on this topic and consensus is the films will yellow and deteriorate in sun sooner or later. Older 3M product was very notorious for that.

The lesson I learned is to remove the film at the earliest sign of deterioration and not waiting till it's too hard to do it.

I had the 3M stuff applied to the front of my wife's '03 MPV when we purchased it new...I didn't yellow, but it's all cracked now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back