Why Waste Money on a UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending in a sample before the warranty (or extended warranty) runs out is well worth the $25. Have had several cases where oil analysis showed problems which were fixed under warranty at little/no cost--and would have been very costly a few months later.

Before purchase of a used car (if possible).

In new diesels to see if there is fuel dilution enough to cause premature drains.

In truck diesels to see if oil change interval can be extended--cost of test is considerably less than the cost of 16 quarts of good synthetic oil. Not so much in a 4-5 qt system.

After enough time on BITOG, I came to the same conclusion as the OP.

I'll only charge $5 to tell you "Looks good, try for #### miles next time"...

Originally Posted By: surfstar
After enough time on BITOG, I came to the same conclusion as the OP.

I'll only charge $5 to tell you "Looks good, try for #### miles next time"...

Heh.

I think the Op should have said "Why have a UOA on a standard oil service interval"

The answer ( i suppose ) is, "You shouldn't" but the 100k/new car/warranty Oil analyisis checks isn't actually a bad idea. i think

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I agree, I also think a UOA every now and then is a good idea to see how the engine is wearing as it ages, as well as check the condition of the oil itself.

The cheap used oil analysis we commonly see posted here are not in any way an accurate indicator of wear. They test the condition of the oil and whether it's still serviceable. That's it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
People waste money on lots of things. If it makes you happy, why not. It is BITOG after all. For some, it's a hobby of sort. In addition to establishing a safe OCI, a UOA can also help detect fuel dilution and coolant leak issues, among other things.

You'll also find people wasting money by dumping their oil every 3K miles.

I agree. Some may say it is a waste of money to go out to eat because it is cheaper to eat at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back