Interesting video -Explosion at Tesoro's Refinery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work a few miles away from that refinery. I have noticed employment ads over the years. They could not pay me enough to work around that environment.

Never really knew what happened exactly there. Thanks for the video.

I had a buddy who lived across the street from the Fertilizer plant in West Texas a few years ago.
Similar environment. Everything was rusting out and appeared to need replacement, noticeable from across the street in run down apartments.

Lots of infrastructure in the USA that needs to be replaced.
Oil and Gas make up a small portion of that infrastructure.

I personally find it reprehensible that corporate heads are not held responsible for preventable accidents of this kind. If that is not criminal negligence, what is ? You can't tell me that they didn't know the dangers involved in operating substandard equipment. They knew and chose to ignore it, largely because their lives were not at risk and they knew they would face no punishment for their decisions.

Seven people dead in the pursuit of higher corporate profits and higher pay for those out of harms way.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's amazing how some of the richest companies in the world have a desire to operate on the cheap.

Richest people in the world had slaves when they were legal...

Years ago I worked for an Environmental Engineering company in Houston and one of our contracts was with a company which made MTBE. Every 3 months I would go around with a sniffer looking for leaks at the valves. Every valve needed testing, tagging, repaired if necessary along with recording any emissions (ppm).

One afternoon I was on top of a propane unit and noticed that the breeze from the Houston Ship Channel had changed directions. That was odd because it never happened unless it was going to storm. I then noticed the needle on my sniffer peg out. Long story short about 20ft behind me a coupling had come loose and was leaking propane. Talk about a pucker moment.My sniffer actually required a small pilot light to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back