Cucumbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lovely bride hates cucumbers, so I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to making stuff with them. Lately I've been enjoying cukes in a dill/yogurt sauce, a la tzatziki. So if any of you have good cucumber recipes, I'm all ears.

Cucumber Sandwiches are awesome! Recipe here:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cucumber-sandwiches-i/

Sprinkle some dill weed on top.
smile.gif

improved tzatzichi sauce (received compliments from indian friends....)
good thick yoghurt
add 1-2-3 spoonfuls of thick sour cream
grate the cucumbers
salt and grounded peper
dill
2-3 crushed/finely chopped garlic cloves
stir
enjoy!

You guys need to note that the real Tzatziki sauce is made with the cukes grated and then squeezed in cheesecloth until most of the juice is gone.

It's still great even with the juice, just runny as all get out...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You guys need to note that the real Tzatziki sauce is made with the cukes grated and then squeezed in cheesecloth until most of the juice is gone.

as always , you're right...
that's why my comments about "thick yoghurt" and the added sour cream.
if you keep this cold, is a pretty thick sauce/dip

bon apetite, my BITOG friends

Originally Posted By: pandus13

as always , you're right...
that's why my comments about "thick yoghurt" and the added sour cream.
if you keep this cold, is a pretty thick sauce/dip

bon apetite, my BITOG friends

When I was a kid I worked in a Greek restaurant for summers, all I could eat was part of the deal!

Good eatin' to ya'll...

One way of dealing with that is to split it lengthwise, then using a spoon, scrape out the watery seeds. Then chop what's left.

Or you can salt them and let them wilt for a bit.

Cucumbers, feta cheese, red onion rings, baby dill, olive oil and some balsamic or plumb vinegar some salt and some pepper
smile.gif

70csbq.jpg

I love garden fresh cucumber & tomato salad with some onion, garlic clove, splash of red wine vinager(or balsamic), drizzle of EVOO, basil, salt & pepper. Everything, season to taste!

Marinate in the frige a few hours before dinner.

Sometimes, this is all I'll eat if I'm not too hungry. Great with fresh French or Italian bread to dunk in the juice...M'mmmmm!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Andy636
Cucumbers, feta cheese, red onion rings, baby dill, olive oil and some balsamic or plumb vinegar some salt and some pepper
smile.gif

70csbq.jpg

That looks freaking awesome.

I tried this recipe recently and it was delicious. Sounds odd reducing vinegar (???), but it worked. You can always add your own favorite dressing.

Cucumber Salad with Olives, Oregano & Almonds - Cook's Illustrated.

4 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced very thin.
1/3c white wine vinegar
1 Tbl lemon juice
2 tsp EVOO
1-1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper (I added more)
1/2c pitted, kalamata olives, chopped coarse
1 shallot, sliced very thin.
1/2c chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp minced fresh oregano
3 Tbl sliced almonds, toasted and chopped coarse

• Evenly spread cucumber slices on paper towel lined baking sheet & refrigerate.
  • Bring vinegar to a simmer over med-low heat until reduced to 2 Tbl. Transfer to bowl and allow to cool. Stir in lemon juice, oil, sugar, salt & pepper.
  • When ready to serve, add cucumbers, olives, shallot, parsley, and oregano and toss with dressing. Let stand for 5 min, retoss; sprinkle with almonds and enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Andy636
smile.gif

70csbq.jpg

Some of my favorite flavors. Will have to make this as soon as the garden has some nice cucumbers.

Found this drink receipe:

In a cocktail shaker, muddle 5 thin slices of cucumber, 1-1/2 Tblspns sugar syrup and 10 mint leaves. Add 2 Tblspns fresh lime juice and 1/4c of gin or vodka. Shake with ice. Strain over rocks in a tall glass. Top with club soda. Garnish with cucumber spear.

I didn't have mint nor soda so I used ginger ale instead. A bit too hot here to find mint this time of year unfortunately. Still, the cucumber adds a nice taste. I used gin.

Yep, that's how I do it when I can be arsed...a bit of salt helps the process too.

My contribution, slice the cukes (either the big green ones, lebanese, or apple), and place in a shallow dish, sprinkle with salt/pepper, more cuke, salt pepper. Make sure theres not too much air.

Cover in vinegar, and let sit for a couple hours before having it with your BBQ/salad.

If using the green ones, score the skins longitudinally with a fork for artistic effect.

Those cucumber sandwiches look great! Easy to make, great appetizer. Would go well with the cucumber drink I posted.

BTW, the 'mini-bread' would be perfect for kid-sized sandwiches. Very easy for them to hold and they could change their mind and make a few different ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back