2014 F250 6.2L or Dodge 2500 6.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have anything to add about the frame strength between the two?

I read this -

"Changes for Ram 2500

As noted, the biggest changes to the 2014 Ram HDs are focused on the three-quarter-ton model, the Ram 2500 HD. All 2500s get the new, higher-strength steel frames the 3500 duallys got last year, but now they are offered on all single rear wheel versions. In fact, both a new 3500 single-rear-wheel and select 2500 models can now be optioned with a factory-offered fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailering package. This is especially interesting because all Ram 2500 will have a completely new front and rear suspension setup, eliminating the rear leaf springs in favor of heavy-duty tapered rear coil springs (a segment first). The frontend will get rid of old five-link in favor of the much stronger and more stable (and we’re talking massive lower control arms) new 3-link system."

Originally Posted By: supton
F150 and F250, are they using the same cabs, but with different chassis? Or are the cabs different too?

Different cabs after 1997.

I'd go with F250 myself, always have had good luck with Ford trucks. 6.2L seems to be a great, simple engine. I'm a bit biased though. The Ram's of today are so much better than the old ones, the interiors are pretty nice.

Personal preference of course, but if Ford's have treated you well I can understand it being hard to stray.

Man, I am really torn between the two.

My [censored] experience with my last Dodge 1500 was sour for sure. Looks like Ram has made significant improvements over the past 5 years though. I see that the Ram got MotorTrend's truck of the year for a second time in a row.

One of my fears is the first year truck version of the 6.4 and the new designed suspension. Although it looks stout, will there be any bugs to work out???

Originally Posted By: sw99
Man, I am really torn between the two.

My [censored] experience with my last Dodge 1500 was sour for sure. Looks like Ram has made significant improvements over the past 5 years though. I see that the Ram got MotorTrend's truck of the year for a second time in a row.

One of my fears is the first year truck version of the 6.4 and the new designed suspension. Although it looks stout, will there be any bugs to work out???

Let's just say this. Ram is from a company that has historically been the bottom of the barrel for quality and dependability.

JD Powers 2014 Dependability

Note this chart:
12c2f593e902b8db6cf63cb81ccf78b2x.jpg

Would you trust a first year model with a new engine and suspension from a company known to produce cars and trucks that are not dependable?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
My Brother has a 2012 SD w/ 6.2L and it is a nice truck. However, the interior is ugly, plain, and very cramped. Ford seems to have the smallest cab's. The Ram's have a much nicer interior and are far roomier.

Really it comes down to your taste as both will do the job and both will be just fine mechanically. My personal opinion is the Ram would be a nicer truck overall for your needs.

My 2006 Crew Cab Long Bed is huge inside so you must be talking about a smaller cab type. The Ford actually felt bigger inside than the Ram I saw.

Actually he has the Extended Cab( I think Ford calls it the Super Cab )with the long bed. Very cramped IMO. Not a lot of leg room up front IMO. He had a 2006 Reg Cab SD as well and it was the same thing. Cramped for space. To me the Ram trucks have a ton more interior room.

It is all about perspective. I am 6'3 and weigh 300lbs so room matters. The Ford truck interior are decidedly smaller than Dodge and GM.

My Brother has a 2012 SD w/ 6.2L and it is a nice truck. However, the interior is ugly, plain, and very cramped. Ford seems to have the smallest cab's. The Ram's have a much nicer interior and are far roomier.

Really it comes down to your taste as both will do the job and both will be just fine mechanically. My personal opinion is the Ram would be a nicer truck overall for your needs.

My 2006 Crew Cab Long Bed is huge inside so you must be talking about a smaller cab type. The Ford actually felt bigger inside than the Ram I saw.

Actually he has the Extended Cab( I think Ford calls it the Super Cab )with the long bed. Very cramped IMO. Not a lot of leg room up front IMO. He had a 2006 Reg Cab SD as well and it was the same thing. Cramped for space. To me the Ram trucks have a ton more interior room.

It is all about perspective. I am 6'3 and weigh 300lbs so room matters. The Ford truck interior are decidedly smaller than Dodge and GM.

2014 Ford's headroom is 40.7 and the Ram is 40.3 / Legroom is Ford 41.1, Ram 41.0 / Shoulder room Ford 68.0, Ram 66.0

The Ford looks to be slightly bigger in every aspect. Also, the Ford CCLB wheelbase is 172" and the Ram is 169".

you are spending a bazillion dollars already on a HD pickup. A diesel is frankly not much more relative to the price. You would be a small fraction of HD pickup owners (except for crazy chevy owners and their 6.0's) who also do not go the diesel route. you rebel you.

I camp often and talk to the folks about their trucks.
Everyone has a reason why they like what they have.

For what you are doing any 3/4 ton or up truck from the Big 3 will work just fine.

You should buy the one you feel most comfortable towing with. In my case a Diesel was not an option as I really don't need it.

My truck gets about 3000 miles a year put on it.

99 percent of that is towing. I have never had to replace an EGR cooler, fix an overheating Duramax, or Replace a transmission. I do however have to slow down on the bigger hills(not as slow as Big rigs, motor homes, or even larger trailers being towed) so I have to leave 20 mins early or show up to the campsite 20 minutes later and I am comfortable with that.

It is an 02 and just rolled 35,000 miles. I can't speak to Ford or Dodge, but GM HD sales are about 50/50 Diesel vs Gasser.

Test drive both and see who wants to sell you a truck more. All of the big three 3/4 tons are pretty good and have their good and bad points.

I like the 2015 3/4 Chevy but the front end looks like [censored], to gaudy.

Last edited:
I would go for the Ford between those two. If the gas engine will get the job you need it for done then you will be money ahead over the diesel. The newer diesels get lousier mileage than years past with the newer emission equipment. Where I live I have to pay .50 more per gallon for diesel which is why the truck sits in the driveway until I need it for something.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I would go for the Ford between those two....

After a reread, +1, Ford FTW.

Either would be great, but I'd pick the Ram. For short trips, and low mileage, you don't want a diesel. You are correct in your thinking. The 1500 can tow >10K when properly equipped, but they aren't much less. I'd pick the 2500 as well.

2014 Ford's headroom is 40.7 and the Ram is 40.3 / Legroom is Ford 41.1, Ram 41.0 / Shoulder room Ford 68.0, Ram 66.0

The Ford looks to be slightly bigger in every aspect. Also, the Ford CCLB wheelbase is 172" and the Ram is 169".

You have to take into account how the trim fits and how far the dash sticks out and such. It can effect your useable room. I am not going to keep arguing it. IMO the Ram has more room. If you think the Ford does fine. My Brother's last 2 SD's( 2006 and current 2012 )were/are very cramped inside. I am comfy in a Ram with plenty of room. Not sure what else to tell you?

Good choice on a gas engine for your duty cycle. No need to drop all your coins on an upgrade that won't pay for itself.

Test drive trucks from all of your desired manufacturers. All of the big 3 make good trucks in this size range. Also take into account your dealer support.

Nothing wrong with just going with a ford if that's what feels right.

Test drive both. Keep a open mind figure 5 year maintenance costs. Then weigh the pro and cons of each truck which will be hard because both are very close to each other and decide after you haggle with each dealer on purchase cost.

GOOD LUCK!

Near as I can tell this is a TERRIFIC problem! Good luck with the hunt.

I would be concerned with the verifiable service history of the model you want as well as the stealership's rep for service. This can make a bad truck seem good if they work hard for you.

Warranty is a big deal these days. Read the fine print, one make in particular has a really BIG warranty...

You have to take into account how the trim fits and how far the dash sticks out and such. It can effect your useable room. I am not going to keep arguing it. IMO the Ram has more room. If you think the Ford does fine. My Brother's last 2 SD's( 2006 and current 2012 )were/are very cramped inside. I am comfy in a Ram with plenty of room. Not sure what else to tell you?

A Super Duty is cramped? Every 2011+ Supercrew SD I've been in has had plenty of leg room. The older Super Dutys, even though they still had fairly massive cabs had limited front seat travel (I'm 6'3" too), which is likely what you are noticing. Later model SDs have much more front seat travel.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

A Super Duty is cramped? Every 2011+ Supercrew SD I've been in has had plenty of leg room. The older Super Dutys, even though they still had fairly massive cabs had limited front seat travel (I'm 6'3" too), which is likely what you are noticing. Later model SDs have much more front seat travel.

yes, cramped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back