Boat battery...school me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never too early to start thinking all-things-boating!!! I got a 3.0LX Merc. Had a full size walmart battery in the battery housing that worked great for years. I'd take it out in the winter and put on trickle charge, no problems. Last year I towed it to a lake 3 hours away. After getting back, winterizing it, took battery out and trickle it again. About a week later, electrolyte starts pouring out of the filling hours and that stuff ran all over my shelf. Cleaned it up but the battery was toast. Wondered what happened? Any way, need a new one. I've read into articles talking about never using a "car" battery....get a deep charge, get a marine battery, etc. etc. Never really thought much about that, but wondered if that towing and bouncing around broke the old battery and maybe the marine batteries are built stronger. I just don't know. Appreciate any advice before I buy another one. This is a one battery set up, don't have a duo system.

They're expensive,but I'd buy an AGM battery. You can mount them in any orientation,they don't leak,they don't off-gas when charging. I think they're perfect for a boat.

Sears has their Die-Hard Platinum which is a re-labled Odyssey. I had a Platinum as a winch battery in my Jeep. It performed beautifully.

Yeah I think the bouncing did it in. Thicker plates are good. Wonder if a "4x4" (marketed) battery might come in cheaper than an all out boat battery, if money is important.

If you won't be trolling you don't need the semi-deep cycle.

If you need to vent hydrogen gas make sure that works the way it's supposed to, and not into the bilge.

Marine batteries are deep cycle and designed to take a physical pounding. The case & plates are thicker. They are also designed to be continuously charged and discharged without damage. Automotive batteries just don't stand up to the punishment.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
They're expensive,but I'd buy an AGM battery. You can mount them in any orientation,they don't leak,they don't off-gas when charging. I think they're perfect for a boat.

Sears has their Die-Hard Platinum which is a re-labled Odyssey. I had a Platinum as a winch battery in my Jeep. It performed beautifully.

You can get marine gel or agm batteries. The automotive one you describe won't last. The case will crack because it is too thin.

If you shorted a cell you'd be dividing the charging voltage across five cells instead of six and this would lead to the bubbling you noted.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

You can get marine gel or agm batteries. The automotive one you describe won't last. The case will crack because it is too thin.

Odyssey doesn't seem to think so.

Yeah, no trolling. Appreciate the advice. I figured something happened with all that bouncing. I mean, this road was rough. There were a few times I swear the whole dang trailer was airborn. Heading there again this July for a week. Think I'll take the new battery out and put it in the back of the truck just in case.

A couple of points. You said "trickle charger" was it really a trickle charger or a more modern float charger or a battery maintainer? A trickle charger is good to use for a day, but it never stops so it cannot be left connected. Get a Battery Minder for the winter. Its a battery maintainer (same thing as float charger). You can leave it connected for eternity.

Your boat should get a marine battery, typically with wing nut connectors. What does the manual call for as far as battery goes in CCA? Can you fit in a larger footprint battery.

Do you anchor the boat and use the stereo or refrig for a few hours without the engine running?

If you can fit a deep cycle battery in the compartment that has the needed CCA to start the engine, that is the best solution.

Otherwise a marine starting battery of the needed CCA.

One key thing to keep in mind is more CCA in same footprint typically means weaker plates. In a larger footprint its fine.

Last edited:
Trickle chargers aren't really idea for something like that. Usually can cause overcharging of a Deep Cycle battey. I've been using a Shumacher maintainer on both my marine batteries and vehicle optimas for some time now without any issues at all. This is after ruining a couple with storage using both trickle as well as float chargers.

I'm at work...but it's one I got from walmart. You set the amperage...either 1 or 2, and it charges until it gets a green light, and then it will start clicking. I'm assuming that clicking noise is turning the charger part off and on? Not overnight kind of prolong use, but the stereo for a couple of hours maybe. No refridgerator....it's a 18 footer, pretty basic. Don't park out at night and run the anchor lights either.

Schmoe,

Stop using that cheap charger.

A Battery Tender Plus ($47) and EverStart MAXX Marine ($85), both available at Walmart, make for a great long-life combination.

Originally Posted By: Donald

If you can fit a deep cycle battery in the compartment that has the needed CCA to start the engine, that is the best solution.

I know a lot about boat batteries. At our lake house, we have the following boats:

1.) 36' 1986 Tiara (3 batteries)
2.) 18' 1968 Starcraft (2 batteries)
3.) 21' 2011 Ranger (4 batteries)
4.) 22' 2013 Tuffy (4 batteries)

I'm only 37 years old, but I've owned boats for over 20 years. All these boats use the same battery: Deka Intimidators. Here is a line up of all their batteries.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0194.pdf

A lot of boat/marine stores carry them. We use the 31 size in EVERYTHING. Plenty of power to start Big Block 454's in November on the Great Lakes....and incredible longevity for running our 36 Volt trolling motors. Great Battery.

If you don't want to spend the money for the AGM batteries, get their flooded battery...the "Marine Master". Model number DC31DT. They aren't that expensive. Like $80-$90. Best value and performance for a flooded battery, hands down.

This is all based on spending $1000's and $1000's of dollars on batteries for many years. I won't buy anything but Deka's. The battery factory where they are made is called East Penn. East Penn also makes Bass Pro Shop AGM batteries, which you can usually find a better deal on then other "brands" of East Penn batteries....if you end up going AGM. If you go flooded, get the Deka flooded anywhere that carries them. Should be about $100 out the door for the 31 size.

Last edited:
Dude, NICE lake house with those boats!!! Appreciate that. Looking at the AGM's but wow.....are they expensive or what??!!?!?!. I'll check out the Deka's.

That's what I did, but from a Interstate dealer here in town. Got the biggest group 24 I could get, 800 CCA, for about 114 bucks. Those equivalent AGM's were crazy expensive.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
That's what I did, but from a Interstate dealer here in town. Got the biggest group 24 I could get, 800 CCA, for about 114 bucks. Those equivalent AGM's were crazy expensive.

Why didn't get the Deka flooded batteries? Couldn't find a Deka dealer near you? Or the Interstate were just that much cheaper?

Originally Posted By: Doog
Marine batteries are deep cycle and designed to take a physical pounding. The case & plates are thicker. They are also designed to be continuously charged and discharged without damage. Automotive batteries just don't stand up to the punishment.

Marine starting batteries are not deep cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back