2014 F250 6.2L or Dodge 2500 6.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entertaining the thought of a 2014 gasser. Ford guy here but the new Ram seems to be getting stellar reviews. No frills, just necessities on the next truck purchase. CCLB will be the style. Ford will be the XL with modest upgrades. Dodge would be the Tradesman in the same format. Looks like they are both close to 35K similarly equipped.

Thoughts?

I personally hate gasser HDs. I feel like if youre gonna go big.... GO BIG if you get me. But i personally would go for the Superduty. Its funny though because im a Ram/Cumins guy.

Last edited:
Just cant keep fooling myself that I truly need a diesel. Maybe 10-15 horse trailer pulls a year at around 8K for weight. Occasional hay loads here and there. Other than that, it will see regular truck use here and there. It will most likely see probably 5-6K a year for mileage. Most of what I need it for involves shorter trips that are not diesel friendly.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i like the ford also but the dodge is nice too... Ford seems to last the longest in my opinion

I love the looks of both. I have had great luck with Fords (4 previous F150's over the years). My only experience with dodge was a 2001 1500 lemon. Nothing but problems from the start.

The Ford holds a slight edge for me at the moment since I have a brand new Bilstien BTS leveling kit in my garage (Was going to install on my 06').

For a second I thought Dodge, since you can still get a manual transmission...but it only comes with the diesel.

Otherwise I haven't looked at a Dodge since they reduced the headroom and put my head on the ceiling....just bought an F150 recently.

Both trucks will likely serve you well...the best way to decide for yourself is to drive both and compare payload/towing/gearsets for what you will be doing with the truck.

edit: now I see missed your post..and see the reason for gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
For a second I thought Dodge, since you can still get a manual transmission...but it only comes with the diesel.

Otherwise I haven't looked at a Dodge since they reduced the headroom and put my head on the ceiling....just bought an F150 recently.

Both trucks will likely serve you well...the best way to decide for yourself is to drive both and compare payload/towing/gearsets for what you will be doing with the truck.

I love my ZF6 manual in my truck now for sure. I too would love another manual but no go these days. Seems like the Ford automatic has the better auto tranny.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Originally Posted By: Kuato

I love my ZF6 manual in my truck now for sure. I too would love another manual but no go these days. Seems like the Ford automatic has the better auto tranny.

The beefy 6 speed they put in the Super Duty is a really solid good one from my research. I would have gotten a SD but the headroom is much less than the 150....so got the 150 with heavy payload package (5/8 ton? LOL) which might be an option for you...but will jack up the price 10k if you need the 6.2.

Last edited:
You can buy a lot of gas for the $10 to $12 grand you'll pay for the diesel option.

Will a beefed up heavy duty half-ton fill the bill or must you get the 3/4 ton for the towing?

Ford. Why? Cause it will last longer and be of a better quality than a Ram. The most recent JD Powers dependability survey has Ford way ahead of all the Chrysler brands who are (as usual) at the bottom.

The only reason to buy a Ram is if you are convinced you need the (not really superior) Cummins. And even then I'd look harder at Ford and GM.

Any of the modern big 3 3/4 ton and up gassers will server you fine. What is your plan for it?

I have been towing with gas trucks for the past 9 years. An old 89 1 ton GMC BBC and my current 02 2500HD. It lugs my 7500 lbs trailer around just fine.

They have to rev on the bigger hills but that is what they are designed to do. Both of the trucks you mention make about 100 more HP and 100 ft/lbs of torque more than my truck.

Dodge has the 6-speed transmission...I recall Ford still uses the 5R110 in gassers.

If you care about rear seat space, the Mega Cab is the only choice.

After how they reamed the poor saps stuck with their last THREE diesels, I would not give one cent to Ford.

Superduty has 6 speed, Ford is building their own diesel now and it is hilding up well. The 7.3 6.0 and 6.4 were Navistar engines.
6.0 is actually a pretty good engine, throw an egr delete kit on it, keep it serviced and a good fuel additive and it works.
Most people that have problems with the diesels use them for grocery getters.
The 6.2 seems to be holding up well, cheaper to maintain too.

As much as I like the diesel in my truck, I agree it wouldn't make economic sense for your usage pattern. Not enough weight to tow, not enough miles per year to pay for the extra $10k cost of the diesel. Especially since diesel fuel now costs 20% more than gasoline.

But are you sure you need the 400+ HP gas engines?
It seems like the 300 HP engine options would work fine for the amount of weight you're towing. Then you save on initial cost and operating cost.

My Brother has a 2012 SD w/ 6.2L and it is a nice truck. However, the interior is ugly, plain, and very cramped. Ford seems to have the smallest cab's. The Ram's have a much nicer interior and are far roomier.

Really it comes down to your taste as both will do the job and both will be just fine mechanically. My personal opinion is the Ram would be a nicer truck overall for your needs.

With the advent of more stringent emissions, you could also be faced with emissions parts replacement that cost almost as much as a low mileage used gas engine. A minor repair on a diesel engine is equal to a major repair on a gasser. I own both and use the gasser for around town and as much as I can on the farm. The diesel is for long hilly hauls.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Superduty has 6 speed, Ford is building their own diesel now and it is hilding up well.

Except for the hand-grenade fuel system, which will never cost less than $10,000 to fix and will not be warrantied!

Quote:
The 7.3 6.0 and 6.4 were Navistar engines.

They were Navistar designs modified by Ford! (You know: things like cranking up the power to beyond the design limits!)

Quote:
6.0 is actually a pretty good engine, throw an egr delete kit on it, keep it serviced and a good fuel additive and it works.

Yeah, it's OK after you spend thousands to re-engineer it! Paging Mr. Barnum...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Dodge has the 6-speed transmission...I recall Ford still uses the 5R110 in gassers.

If you care about rear seat space, the Mega Cab is the only choice.

After how they reamed the poor saps stuck with their last THREE diesels, I would not give one cent to Ford.

Ford uses the 6R140 six speed in the newer SD trucks. A crew cab is plenty for my use.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Ford. Why? Cause it will last longer and be of a better quality than a Ram. The most recent JD Powers dependability survey has Ford way ahead of all the Chrysler brands who are (as usual) at the bottom.

The only reason to buy a Ram is if you are convinced you need the (not really superior) Cummins. And even then I'd look harder at Ford and GM.

Not even considering a diesel here but thanks.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
My Brother has a 2012 SD w/ 6.2L and it is a nice truck. However, the interior is ugly, plain, and very cramped. Ford seems to have the smallest cab's. The Ram's have a much nicer interior and are far roomier.

Really it comes down to your taste as both will do the job and both will be just fine mechanically. My personal opinion is the Ram would be a nicer truck overall for your needs.

My 2006 Crew Cab Long Bed is huge inside so you must be talking about a smaller cab type. The Ford actually felt bigger inside than the Ram I saw.

F150 and F250, are they using the same cabs, but with different chassis? Or are the cabs different too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back