UOA for my 02 Corolla 111,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went 9000 miles on Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic. I added one quart within the 9000 miles and I do mostly, 99%, stop and go and less than 5 miles on this engine, due to living in Hawaii. The write up comments says FJ cruiser, and I called them on this and they stated the write up was wrong, but hte rest of the data is correct. What do you guys think.
oilreports-page-0012.jpg

I noticed that Blackstone recommended you continue on with this oil yet they did not run a TBN test. How do they know the oil is still good! I would not recommend going beyond 9000 miles without knowing that. Sometimes their comments don't make since....

@mwball0, I know they recommended more mileage, even though a tbn wasnt run. Maybe their testing automatically does a TBN, and they knew the answer. I am going to go 10k on the next UOA and run a tbn too.

Originally Posted By: mwball0
I noticed that Blackstone recommended you continue on with this oil yet they did not run a TBN test. How do they know the oil is still good! I would not recommend going beyond 9000 miles without knowing that. Sometimes their comments don't make since....

TBN in my view is overated. There is too much importance given to it, but the vis is fine and no problems with outside contaminants. Go for 10K OCI.

Aloha, to a fellow Hawaii BITOG member!

How long was the oil in the engine? I wouldn't imagine running a long OCI with a lot of short trips. I usually follow severe service intervals.

@wirelessF. To be honest it was close to a year. I live on Pearl Harbor, so most of my traveling barely gets the water hot. I do a trip around the island once a month, which is about 130 miles plus or minus 20.

Originally Posted By: chevman4life
I thought Mobil 1 had more magnesium and less calcium from other UOAs. Just an observation.

That is the SN formula of Mobil1 that has more magnesium and less calcium.

Looks like the OP was using SM Mobil1. It worked well for him. Of course Hawai'l is an engine's dream environment, no "cold" starts to speak of and no 100+ weather either.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: chevman4life
I thought Mobil 1 had more magnesium and less calcium from other UOAs. Just an observation.

That is the SN formula of Mobil1 that has more magnesium and less calcium.

Looks like the OP was using SM Mobil1. It worked well for him. Of course Hawai'l is an engine's dream environment, no "cold" starts to speak of and no 100+ weather either.

No cold start in Hawaii, man it was like 69 degrees the other day and raining. LOL. Seriously the oil I use is 5w 30 mobil 1 with the green dexos label on it and is the SN.
Also, Hawaii has snow year round on 3 islands, believe it or not. Just not on the island I am on.

It used to use oil , but I did two treatments of AutoRx.
No, rarely do I put in any oil. All stop and go city traffic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve40th
It used to use oil , but I did two treatments of AutoRx.
No, rarely do I put in any oil. All stop and go city traffic.

There is a legit DIY on toyotanation to fix any consumption issues on 1ZZ-FE.

With the help of the person who wrote the DIY both my 1ZZ-FED & 2ZZ-GE don't have oil consumption issues like before.

1ZZ-FED burns 0.3 quart in 3k miles, it sees all sorts of driving conditions
2ZZ-GE burns nothing

The reason your consumption is so low is because your mostly city driving, the 1ZZ-FEs burn oil generally 55+ mph. Before the fix I drove 3000 miles in Chicago city traffic with no consumption at all and the moment I went on a highway trip the car burned oil like crazy, around 1 quartz in 300 mile trip.

Nice! Looks like your engine is happy. I know equipment in the virgin islands can have corrosion issues with all the salt spray in the air, is that even an issue in Hawaii?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back