High Ester Synthetic Oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would standard Mobil One and Pennzoil Platinum be considered high ester synthetic oils ?
If not , what readily available synthetic oils would have a good / high quantity ester content ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Would standard Mobil One and Pennzoil Platinum be considered high ester synthetic oils ?
If not , what readily available synthetic oils would have a good / high quantity ester content ?

No. I doubt these oils have any ester content whatsoever.
High ester oils include redline and motul and with motul it's only certain lines.
G-oil had a very high ester content if you can find it anymore

It's a real shame that the technology would go backwards. I wish oil manufs would come out and tell us what the base oil is. I'd be willing to pay more for an ester based oil

Both of these oils probably have at least some ester basestock.
You want esters?
Google "Red Line".
Their oils use a significant proportion of Grp V basestocks.
G-Oil was (and almost still is) supposedly a bio-based oil, which would involve esters by definition.
There's also an Ohio company called Renewable Lubes (RLI).
They offer oils using a corn oil derived basestock.
I'm sure there are others as well.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'd be willing to pay more for an ester based oil

You can. Red Line and Motul will sell you some very expensive products.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'd be willing to pay more for an ester based oil

You can. Red Line and Motul will sell you some very expensive products.
wink.gif

Why can't I just get the good Mobil 1 from the 80's? Or the good German Castrol.

Mobil 1 does have some ester in it. So does Delvac 1. And I'm sure that applies to many name brand synthetics out there. A formulator's goal isn't to limit himself as much as possible to one base stock. As I've mentioned before, finding a primarily ester or PAO SN/GF-5 oil isn't terribly easy.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Both of these oils probably have at least some ester basestock.
You want esters?
Google "Red Line".
Their oils use a significant proportion of Grp V basestocks.
G-Oil was (and almost still is) supposedly a bio-based oil, which would involve esters by definition.
There's also an Ohio company called Renewable Lubes (RLI).
They offer oils using a corn oil derived basestock.
I'm sure there are others as well.

+1, and there are a limited of others, since you're going up the pyramid to get the best.

Redline and Motul 300V are the major ester oils. Most Redline oils can be bought for $10-11 per quart.
G-Oil was (is?) ester based.
Castrol R is castor based, so it's a natural ester.
Other race oils such as Torco SR5, and Valvoline NSL I wonder about.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Nissan just markets it as such, and charges the [in]appropriate price.

Being as they hold patents, I dont think they are faking it.

It is not an ester based synthetic oil. You can do the searches here and read the discussions.

I've read all the patents, all the papers, all when they first became public, and I've been through this many times here. It's an atrociously overpriced oil that cannot retain its viscosity over a 3750 mile OCI. That's how ester oils behave? Since when?

I've seen people say its over price, but I haven't seen anyone say that there is no ester in it.

I've only see one or two UOA's about it. Thats not really enough to do a proper judgement on.

Originally Posted By: Mach1Owner
I've seen people say its over price, but I haven't seen anyone say that there is no ester in it.

I've only see one or two UOA's about it. Thats not really enough to do a proper judgement on.

Quite correct.
You'll have to run it yourself and do your own UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back