motor honey???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone out there use or love motor honey???

I used it once when I acquired a new vehicle and I did a massive engine flush, I figured it would combat the thin flush stuff... I liked it, I guess.

I kept some in a 2oz syringe for my lathe and machine bearing lube, and randomly after a few months of sitting in the tube, it (dryed up) and looked like set SILICON!

That freaked me out, but I guess it may happen if it is waxy or Teflon based or whatnot...

Whats everyones opinions??? Is it a trusted product of the bitog ???

When I was first entering auto maintenance and engine building the guy I learned a lot from taught me to use it on new cam installs and valve tips/rocker arms & pivots. He always talked about its "cling" to metal. Been almost 40 years now and I still use it in specific areas during engine assembly but have never run it with oil in my engines. Lots of other high tech assembly formulas available now to replace old school methods. Use latex gloves if you put a glob in your hand, it's a bear to clean off skin.

Originally Posted By: JC1
My Motor Honey is called Mobil 1. LOL

I've seen the product on the shelves, but was never temped to try it.

It's an old product. About 50 years ago, a friend used it to stop excessive oil consumption on a junker vehicle he was selling. It really thickened the oil. The car sold - clearly a benefit. Other benefits were less clear.

If you really want or need heavier oil, why not just buy heavier oil? If lubrication doesn't matter, you could put 75w-90 in your crankcase. That should generate some serious oil pressure, right up to the point the engine self destructs.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: JC1
My Motor Honey is called Mobil 1. LOL

I've seen the product on the shelves, but was never temped to try it.

It's an old product. About 50 years ago, a friend used it to stop excessive oil consumption on a junker vehicle he was selling. It really thickened the oil. The car sold - clearly a benefit. Other benefits were less clear.

If you really want or need heavier oil, why not just buy heavier oil? If lubrication doesn't matter, you could put 75w-90 in your crankcase. That should generate some serious oil pressure, right up to the point the engine self destructs.

Gear oil viscosity is != motor oil viscosity. 75W-90 is like a heavy XW-40,with a 100* visc of ~15cSt. Wrong add pack, so your joke about the engine self-destructing isn't too far off.

I always cringe when I see some one mixing a bottle of this stuff in with 4+ quarts of high-quality motor oil in the hobby shop. It's always the young guys, too.

I use it in a 50+ year old, 3 hp roto-tiller. It really works...

Not sure if it would work for anything else though...

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
just to clarify, did it end up like squishy silicone caulk, or like a gritty sand?

Take a tube of silicon and put it in a tuna can, let it cure, and squish it... that's the texture it became....

A perfect idea, is that [censored] putty u see in the toy section for kids... I was extremely confused why it became that, I wonder if the rubber boot to the syringe set a chemical reaction off

Motor Honey was competition for STP, when STP was the #1 oil additive in the world back in the 60's and 70's. That's as far back as I can remember at least. It helped oil burners and cars with knocking engines that people were trying to unload. They stood the test of time apparently because the product is still around.

Years ago a friend's great grandfather told us that the reason his ancient tractor was still running is because he adds a quart of honey to it every oil change. I said 'you mean that motor honey stuff?' He said NO. Honey!

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Years ago a friend's great grandfather told us that the reason his ancient tractor was still running is because he adds a quart of honey to it every oil change. I said 'you mean that motor honey stuff?' He said NO. Honey!
They don't make em like they used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back