Why they Invented Duck Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Don't let your wife see this one!
shocked2.gif

Duck Tape

A man was driving along the freeway, when suddenly, a Highway Patrol officer came up behind him, with lights blazing and siren blaring. The man pulled to the shoulder, and the officer ran up to his car. "What's wrong, officer?" said the man, perplexed.

"Your wife fell out of the car about two miles back!" shouts the officer.

"Oh, thank goodness," says the man, putting his hand on the officers arm. "I thought I was going deaf."

Trivia: the original name was actually "duck tape", not "duct tape". The original was an adhesive fabric tape made for the army using cotton duck, a specific fabric weave. (Duck is one of the simplest canvas weaves.) While it was later used for ducts, it's mediocre for that purpose.

Most "duct tape" is made with an even simpler weave than duck, and sometimes the fibers are just laid on a plastic outer film rather than being woven.

Originally Posted By: djb
Trivia: the original name was actually "duck tape", not "duct tape". The original was an adhesive fabric tape made for the army using cotton duck, a specific fabric weave. (Duck is one of the simplest canvas weaves.) While it was later used for ducts, it's mediocre for that purpose.

Most "duct tape" is made with an even simpler weave than duck, and sometimes the fibers are just laid on a plastic outer film rather than being woven.

Interesting.

For HVAC ducting, there is a dedicated tape just for that purpose. It is an adhesive backed foil and is very effective for sealing air leaks.

Right, no good for ducts because the adhesive fails miserably in high heat and extreme cold. My attic is 120 degrees plus in the summer. Foil tape or "pookie" (duct sealant) are the preferred products.

I do carry a homemade duct tape wallet. Yes, I may be a teenage girl at heart. It has exactly the configuration I wanted and I made it out of Gorilla Tape. It has held up about as well as any leather wallet I have owned.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
A man was driving along the freeway, when suddenly, a Highway Patrol officer came up behind him, with lights blazing and siren blaring. The man pulled to the shoulder, and the officer ran up to his car. "What's wrong, officer?" said the man, perplexed.

"Your wife fell out of the car about two miles back!" shouts the officer.

"Oh, thank goodness," says the man, putting his hand on the officers arm. "I thought I was going deaf."

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back