Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
Hello BITOG Members:

First and foremost, we’d like to thank everyone for their interest, curiosity and excitement for our latest and greatest Pennzoil product offering. As many of you may have seen or heard, Pennzoil Platinum® and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology are officially joining the Pennzoil product line-up early this spring. (And as many of you have seen, the products are already starting to show up on the shelf in some locations.)

First, a little background: PurePlus Technology is a patented, revolutionary process that converts pure natural gas into the first-of-its-kind, high quality full synthetic base oil used in Pennzoil Platinum motor oils. PurePlus Base Oil formulated from natural gas is crystal clear and contains fewer of the impurities found in crude oil, the traditional base for many other conventional and synthetic motor oils.

Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology are a range of full synthetic motor oils designed to provide engines Complete Protection, without compromise. Complete Protection is defined as coverage on five key areas consumers deemed as most critical for motor oil performance: 1) engine cleanliness, 2) fuel economy, 3) conservation of horsepower, 4) wear protection, and 5) performance in extreme temperatures.

The benefits specific to piston cleanliness, fuel economy and wear protection are derived from the combination of Pennzoil additive chemistry and PurePlus Base Oil. The key difference between Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology and competitive PAO formulations will rest with the premium additive chemistry that Pennzoil adds to PurePlus Base Oil to provide superior performance.

Due to the abundance of speculation and chatter we’ve seen across BITOG and the unending passion you show for not only our products but also all lubrications, we wanted to give your community the opportunity to be some of the first to ask questions about this breakthrough technology!

Beginning today, with this post, we have opened a special thread for all of you to submit your questions for the Pennzoil Technical Team in advance of our official launch. The thread will be open for question submissions until 12:00 p.m. ET on Feb. 19, at which time we will send them back to our full team of scientists, engineers and brand representatives to provide answers to as many of the questions as we can a few weeks later on Mar. 6.

We are extremely excited for this opportunity and we have only a few requests:

1. Please use this thread ONLY to submit questions and please keep commentary or feedback on the product to the other areas of the site. Members of the team have noted that there have been questions posed in various threads, but please repost the question in this thread to help us make sure we address everything.
2. Please understand that there will be some questions that we will not be able to answer. We cannot divulge any proprietary information and can only speak from our areas of expertise.
3. Please understand that we will not and cannot comment or speculate on the products of our competitors.

Thank you all for the understanding and enthusiasm.

-The Pennzoil Team

Chris Hayek
Pennzoil Global Brand Manager

Suzanne Clerkin
Pennzoil Associate Brand Manager

Aimee Cronfel
North American Pennzoil Marketing Manager

Brian Lardi
Global Digital Marketing Manager – North America

Richard Dixon
Pennzoil Technology Manager

Rigo Santiago
Technical Information Center Team Lead

Shanna Simmons
Research Engineer, Technical Advisor

I have a question:

Currently, I'm using Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 in my BMW M5. I am alternating between it and Mobil 1 0w-40.

The Ultra Euro 5w-40 carries basically an identical list of OEM certs/approvals as M1 0w-40, but of course since it doesn't carry the 0w-xx designation, is giving up some degree of cold temperature performance to the Mobil product.

Now, I know Pennzoil does make an Ultra 0w-40, but it is the SRT-specific lubricant and doesn't carry the necessary Euro certs/approvals to be used in applications like my BMW.

Does Pennzoil have intentions of making a 0w-40 product to compete directly with Mobil's 0w-40 that will carry the same list of certs/approvals as their current 5w-40 product, but also sport the exceptionally low NOACK that appears to be the hallmark of these new oils?

2nd question, which sort of ties into my first one:

This quote:

Quote:
The benefits specific to piston cleanliness, fuel economy and wear protection are derived from the combination of Pennzoil additive chemistry and PurePlus Base Oil. The key difference between Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology and competitive PAO formulations will rest with the premium additive chemistry that Pennzoil adds to PurePlus Base Oil to provide superior performance.

Seems to indicate that Pennzoil's additive package (along with of course the GTL base) will be what sets it apart from its PAO-based competitors. Given that SOPUS and Mobil co-own Infineum, other than the base oil, what will set Pennzoil's Euro formulations apart from their main competitor, Mobil 1 0w-40, given this co-ownership situation?

Will Platinum and Ultra Platinum be available in high-performance application grades? 5W50,15W50,and 20W50? And if so,will they be available in Walmart's competitively priced 5 quart jugs?

I would like a Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 or 5w-40 oil available at my local walmart. I drive 20 minutes to the Walmart in the next town over to get Ultra in the 5qt jugs. I would like to use a Euro spec oil in all my vehicles and sadly Pennzoil has no Euro options to compete with Mobil 1 0w-40 at Walmart where the prices are competitive.

Last edited:
Pennzoil,

First of all, thank you very much for engaging the BITOG community and giving us the opportunity to ask questions about these new products.

Here are my questions...
1) It is widely known on BITOG that the use of GTL or 'PurePlus' base oils can result in lubricant formulations with exceptionally low NOACK volatility. What are the benefits of low NOACK volatility with respect to motor oil?

2) Many of us would like to see a Pennzoil offering in 0W-30, but I understand that market factors, such as consumer demand, currently might make that unprofitable at this time. However, in re-introducing these new products, you state that you have taken extreme temperature performance into consideration. Can you comment on how your approach in formulating your new 5W-30 products makes them superior to your competitors 5W-30 offerings, with respect to extreme low temperature performance?

3) In regards to your marketing strategy, I respect and appreciate your desire to give your consumers many options - however, I fear that the two-tiered approach with Platinum and Ultra Platinum will force mass-market retailers, due to limited shelf space, to choose only Platinum - making your top-tier Ultra Platinum more difficult and expensive to obtain. As a discriminating consumer who wants the 'best' for his vehicles, I would like to know; what are you doing to encourage retailers to offer Ultra Platinum?

Pennzoil,

Thank you for your continuing advance in the area of passenger car motor oil technology. My question for you is what type(s) of testing have you done with regard specifically to your products' interaction with and ability to combat intake valve deposit formations in modern Direct Injection technolgy series of engines? And were improvements noted.

Will you market Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus in Canada? It appears after the launch of Pennzoil Ultra in Canada it was pulled from the marketplace within a year or so. Thanks!

Last edited:
What's the difference between Platinum and Ultra?

Will there be any products suitable for extended drain in excess of manufacturer recommendation once outside of warranty eg 15000 mile performance guaranteed like one of your competitors?

I've seen PP labeled as made with natural gas on the retail shelf.
I'd like to ask a question a little OT.
There was a lot of speculation here based upon a recent PQIA test of 5W-20 conventional oils that QSUD and PYB contain some GTL basestock.
QSUD and PYB blew the others away in NOACK volatility as well as cold specs.
Have GTL basestocks been blended into SOPUS products across the line?
If this is proprietary information, please disregard my question, although using some GTL base in the less expensive oils to boost their performance would be a powerful marketing point to those who understand and for those who understand to share with those who haven't a clue.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS

Will there be any products suitable for extended drain in excess of manufacturer recommendation once outside of warranty eg 15000 mile performance guaranteed like one of your competitors?

This. Is there any plan to market either of these as a high mile OCI oil? M1EP and Castrol Edge EP state that on the bottle. Never saw anything wrong with running the previous ultra at an extended interval. Also, will many places that phased out shelf space on Ultra over the past few months, will they likely be getting them? Just wondering since I have to drive 40 miles round trip to grab some Ultra. No issue, but there are many places closer.

Dear SOPUS
Will we be losing any Moly or Zinc?
Will 0w-20's and 0w-30's be present in the new formula?

Thank you for taking the time to grace our forum with your presence.

1. As already mentioned and asked, will there be a re-formulation of some of your other offerings, such as Quaker State Ultimate Durability to fall in-line with the change in your Pennzoil line of products?

2. Also, how will this affect the pricing structure of all of your products?

3. Will the additive package in your respective products be diminished or bolstered with the re-formulation? (not asking specifically which components would be affected, just whether there would be an improved or lessened pack)

4. Finally, will these re-formulated products be offered in 10w30?

Thank you in advance, from a beginner trying to understand the world of oil, for your answers and the time you give to us on this forum.

I've seen the MSDS for Ultra Platinum 0W-40, but will the 5W-40 also continue as an Ultra Platinum offering? Will both the 0W-40 and 5W-40 be available in several retail outlets instead of only one or two?

Thanks,
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back