Anti seize or threadlocker (for vibrations)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

After having had serious trouble removing some nuts on my car, I need to find a solution on how to easily remove the nuts next time. Most of the fasteners are located in areas where it isn't warm/hot (i.e. not close to the engine). I see two solutions:

1. Threadlocker, such as Loctite blue.
2. Anti seize, such as Loctite copper or aluminum paste. Or even Marine grade paste for salty conditions.

I would prefer to use an anti seize product, but I am worried that the nuts might rattle loose due to engine and road vibrations. The reason for my worries are, that the friction factor has been reduced (due to the paste) and in theory an anti seized fastener should easier unwind itself. But what happens in the practical world?

a) Is a threadlocker the truly preferred product in vibrating equipment?
b) Are loosening of anti seized fasteners no problem if they have been torqued correctly?

Anyone with experience that anti seize truly can be used on vibrating equipment? Is it just a matter of the correct torque setting?

Lucas

I like anti-seize for this but, others may feel different!
If you're having trouble removing these nuts then, I don't see why anit-seize wouldn't help. Thread locker will hold the nuts in place during viberations but, may need heat to loosen them.

2 totally different chemicals and 2 completely different reasons to use them. In high vibration areas always use threadlocker but in areas subject to high heat, area where dissimilar metals are used or areas exposed to rust/salt use a good anti-seize compound.

i.e. anti-seize on your lug nuts and many applications call for it on the spark plugs with alum heads. I also use it on control arm and suspension bolts.

In my experience, it's not vibrations that do the loosening, but movement at the joint. Depending on the exact application, you may not need a thread locker.

Factors contributing to loosening:

Material thickness
Rigidity of material being clamped
Amount of material compression (can be a gaskets or even pulling two pieces together- see below)
Flex or movement (goes along with rigidity)
Dirt, grease/oil, paint on surfaces and threads

So basically the thicker and stiffer the material being fastened and the less likely it will move (or flex) the less likely a fastener will loosen. I've seen just a nut and bolt set up(no flat washers, lock washers or no thread locker) hold fast no matter what. On something that sees a lot of flex or movement, I've seen where no amount of thread locker, lock washers, or self locking nuts will hold.

Movement at the point of clamping, not vibration is usually the big killer, though vibration can certainly have a hand in it...

I'd suggest using anti-sieze and then adding a lock washer or use a nyloc nut to keep them from vibrating apart. This is what I do on my suspension parts here in the salt belt of the USA.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
2 totally different chemicals and 2 completely different reasons to use them. In high vibration areas always use threadlocker but in areas subject to high heat, area where dissimilar metals are used or areas exposed to rust/salt use a good anti-seize compound.

i.e. anti-seize on your lug nuts and many applications call for it on the spark plugs with alum heads. I also use it on control arm and suspension bolts.

What if you are so unfortunate that you have both vibrations and heat??

Lucas

You could also look for fasteners with a mechanical lock design (like a crimp or stover nut) and use anti-seize along with it.

The use of anti-seize can help ensure that you're gettning correct fastener tension. Full bolt tension is important in resisting vibration loosening.

Stiffness of the material under the bolt/nut is also important, but there you're getting more into joint design. I'd consult an engineering textbook if you really want to get into that.

One would think that stuff designed for anti-seize would have a higher torque rating to account for vibration.

I was also under the impression that threadlocker acted somewhat like an antiseize...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back