1994 Camry Sitting For A Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
V-6 motor. Battery dead. Anything I should do before I jump start it? Car is in Southern Cal so weather hasn't been a factor.

Add a bottle of dry gas to absorb any moisture from phase separated fuel. After you fill up maybe a can of chemtool b-12.

Weather is always a factor. I lived in SoCal for 13 years. I was given a car that sat more than it was driven. I had nothing but problems, mostly from dry rot.

Check ALL the fluids. Check the air box for nests. Check the entire under carriage for nests; don't want something to catch fire.

Before starting, pull the FP relay (or similar) so you can crank w/o starting. If you can, see if you can turn it over by hand first.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Add a bottle of dry gas to absorb any moisture from phase separated fuel. After you fill up maybe a can of chemtool b-12.

Post 2 and 3 are good - post 4 - forget it.

It should be fine.

Back the spark plugs out, use a turkey baster to put 1/2 tablespoon oil in each cylinder. Replace plugs...

Check belts, hoses for cracks.

Change oil and filter.

Make sure battery has not cracked or is leaking.

Check air filter and intake for dirt / intruders... (wasps, mice, etc)

Last edited:
Go buy a new battery. Charge the new battery first. Install battery.Check the oil. Hit the key. Let it idle for 5 minutes. Drive it to the nearest gas station and fill it up with gas. Then drive it to the nearest car wash and get the deluxe wash. Drive it home. Change the oil & filter. Enjoy.

Skip all the chemical additives...maybe give it some gumout in the gas after a week or two. Absolutely NO NEED to rotate the engine or do anything but start it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Bad gas + good gas = bad gas.

Which is why I would go drive it until nearly empty, then fill up.

+1 on drigas, there could be condensation after all that time.

Last edited:
I'd do what doog says also oil changer has good advice re: nests in airbox and under the intake mani - you can put mint or something to scare the critters away - they can be in the HVAC too - Id check the cabin filter. If you are paranoid about phase separated fuel damaging F.I. you'll have to drain it - You cant "fix" it with drygas, the water/alcohol will stay on the bottom of the tank.

Dri-gas is a waste of time. the ethanol will absorb all water. The chance that you would have phase separation in Southern Cal is very minimal.

I have purchased 3 vehicles that sat for longer. One sat in a barn in Ohio for 6 years. It fired right up with a new battery and once I warmed up the flat spotted tires it ran like a dream. I changed the oil with 15w40 delo and drove it for 6 months before doing anything else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Bad gas + good gas = bad gas.

The solution to pollution is dilution.......
crackmeup2.gif
Fill it up then keep filling it up when it hits 1/2 a tank. After 4-5 tanks you are home free.

But if you are worried about it then get a fluid extractor and pump out the tank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
V-6 motor. Battery dead. Anything I should do before I jump start it? Car is in Southern Cal so weather hasn't been a factor.

To specifically answer your question, No. Check that there's some oil on the dipstick and crank the dumb thing.

I wouldn't mess around with any "control module". The chance of cracking a tab on the connector or something isn't worth the benefit.

And of course the fuel is bad. It's going to have to suffer through that first tank.

don't bother jump-starting the battery, for you will kill the otherwise good alternator by having it to work extra hard attempting to recharge the dead battery.

Borrow/buy a cheap replacement from elsewhere and swap the battery if I were in your position.

Also: personally, I don't dig the drigas thingy for most 87octane gasoline are pretty much E10 already, and will absorb some water/moisture in your old gas.

I'd add a bottle of techron in the gas tank before topping up with fresh gas, just in case that the old/stale gas might varnish up the injector orifice(pintle area) quickly.

Lastly, because it's located in so-cal area, assuming that relative humidity is low or consistently low to begin with and the vehicle is left in a cool/dry environment, gas in the tank should not be all that bad...so simply topping it up with fresh gas should be fine.

Q.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Back the spark plugs out, use a turkey baster to put 1/2 tablespoon oil in each cylinder. Replace plugs...

Change oil and filter.

Wash turkey baster with Dawn, dry, put back in kitchen drawer.

Should be good by next Thanksgiving
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

Change oil and filter.

Wash turkey baster with Dawn, dry, put back in kitchen drawer.

Nine times out of ten turkey ends up being too dry and tasting like [censored] anyway. Maybe a little auto lubricant would spice it up a bit.

If you want a juicy turkey, just set it on the exhaust manifold (wrapped in aluminum foil) while you drive to Grandma's house....

I just did the same thing with a Saturn that had been sitting for a year and a half. I put in a new battery it fired right up. Drove to nearest gas station and filled it up, and changed the oil the next day. No other problems so far and have been driving it for 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back