How is Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going by AAP tomorrow to pick up some front rotors with the online discount code and the only thing they show on the website is th Permatex green packet of lube in store. How does this stuff compare to 3M 8945?

3m Stuff
http://amzn.com/B000RI101S

Permatex green stuff
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/...atex_7730004-p#

I really want to get the 3M stuff as i hear its good but the price is a little steep with shipping, i don't really want to spend too much.

The 3M brake lube us just regular cooper anti-seize which you used in the pads where it touches the caliper bracket.

You will need silicone paste for the glide pins or slide pins. Brake grease will dry out and cause problems.

Is it for lubricating the ears on the pads. Or is it for lubricating the gliding pins and rubber bushings?

I have seen people here discuss several types of grease for the pins and rubber bushings. They all seems a bit expensive to me. And my personal experience is that the best lubricant you can use for the pins is ordinary silicone plumbers grease. It is verry cheap, it harmless to rubber and the temprange is typical -40c to +200c. We don,t use anything else for pins at work.

Last edited:
I too have used & like the Permatex GREEN but, I like the BLACK even better. I buy both in the 8 oz plastic jars w/brush. Yes, you can use on the backs of the pad and a anit-squeal, on the slider pins and on the ears of the pads.
Permatex also has an Ultra in the 8 oz jar that is sort'a purple-ish in color and look to me like cup cake frosting
smile.gif

3M has another brake caliper lube that is used like the Permatex. It's supposed to be even better! The 3M looks more like a clear/yellow-ish lube(not anti-seeze-like).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Sil-glyde works very well and most parts stores carry it.

I hear lots about the Sil-Glyed though, I've never seen it. I want to try it expecially for my climate.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I hear lots about the Sil-Glyed though, I've never seen it. I want to try it expecially for my climate.

You can get it at NAPA auto parts stores. It's shaped like a tube of toothpaste.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ronbo

You can get it at NAPA auto parts stores. It's shaped like a tube of toothpaste.

Oh, that's right! Someone(maybe yourself) mentioned this to me the other day. I forgot!

EDIT:
Found it!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3266863/Re:_Updates_on_brake_lube_prod#Post3266863

Last edited:
Is it for caliper lube or for the slide pins? I thought those were two different applications. Sil-glyde seems to be well suited for slide pins but I am not sure if that is the right stuff for the caliper lube.

Last edited:
The pads are Wearever Platinum ceramic and came with hardware and a white Wearever branded packet that is unlabeled and possibly Grey lube. The box contents list just says "lube" which I take it is for the back shims on the pad so I only need slide pin lube.

Will the Grey ceramic permatex packets be best here?

I got new tires today and tried to haggle the manager into putting them on while he was down there but he quoted me 1.5 hours labor @ $85 an hour, so I will be waiting until the snow melts and it's above freezing.

Reviews on Amazon say the Permatex blue label and green label brake lubes do swell some types of rubber. Not good. And its difficult to tell the exact rubber compound the caliper rubber parts are made of.

So Permatex is out in my book. Back to sil-glide?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Reviews on Amazon say the Permatex blue label and green label brake lubes do swell some types of rubber. Not good. And its difficult to tell the exact rubber compound the caliper rubber parts are made of.

Maybe but, I have never had that issue with Prematex in may of our vehicles/many years!
smile.gif

Maybe but, I have never had that issue with Prematex in may of our vehicles/many years!
smile.gif

Clearly some people have had issues with rubber swelling.

smile.gif

I still want to buy some Sil-Glyde/Glide, IDK the spelling
smile.gif

I have to get my good buddy and take a trip over to NAPA(he loves NAPA) and buy products that the other chain stores don't carry...like PGL coolant and other parts/fluids that I just don't see at most places.

Thanks Donald!
smile.gif

CB

Clearly some people have had issues with rubber swelling.

I may get a small tube of Permatex to lube the ears and where they slide. But not any rubber parts.

Something didn't post in my last reply!
smile.gif

I stated(which didn't post) that, I will be traveling to NAPA with my buddy for some items that we don't normaly find at the local chain parts stores(AAP, AZ, PB's).

I want to buy some Sil-Glyde/Glide(don't know the spelling) and other items that the chain stores don't carry. We'll shop around the store for a while too as it's alway a "Home Town" & friendly atmosphere.

We don't get to NAPA often but when we do, it's an morning trip and then for Lunch/Coffee at their local diner. The 2 NAPA stores aren't as convieniently located as the chain stores. One in the city and another in one of the surounding villages. And, NAPA closes early on SATURDAY. IIRC, by 2 p.m.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back