New 2014 Honda civic LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 honda civic,has 47 mile's on it right now.. I have 2 free oil change's from my honda dealer. I have 3 cases of 0-w20 Napa full synthetic oil & 4 napa gold 7356 oil filter's. So should I use my free oil change's, or go to the napa syn oil on my first change... How about the break in and the first oil change...

Go with the dealer oil changes. Also important is to keep the FF oil in the civic for the full duration of the first OCI.
Honda uses a high moly FF that is very effective at breaking in the engine.
Maybe once/if you've tried the dealer oil changes switch up and try high VI TGMO or MGMO for an OCI.
They are great oils that can really improve your driving experience.
Congrats on the new Honda..

Leave the FF in until 15% MM. Then use the free Honda oil changes, then use up the Napa 0w20 with some shorter OCI (Ive seen some UOA of this stuff and it doesnt produce the greatest wear numbers). After that I would go with TGMO 0w20 / M1 0w20 / PP 0w20 for the life of the car.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Toyota Genuine Motor Oil
napa oil & filter 5000 oil change.. you can't beat there spring sale

Use the free oil changes! Why is this even a question? A joke? Especially when you have sub par NAPA Syn waiting.....

Nah, Napa Syn is fine, but definitely not better than the Honda brand oil.

Yea, silly to not use the free oil changes... What's 80 miles when you get 38-42 MPG... So it costs you $8 and a little time.

Any 0w20 will be just fine in that Civic.

Originally Posted By: 02bluez
what is TGMO 0w20

The best oil ever! Joking aside, its been my favorite oil in the Accord to date. It runs nice and quiet on it and it has even quieted piston slap somewhat. Its nice and light on start up and plenty thick when hot. Its now my go too oil for the Accord, planning on UOA it to see how its held up in the winter with the short trips it sees.

Yes, use the dealer free OCI's
smile.gif

I live 80 miles away from my selling dealer too! When it came time for my free OCI's, my wife and I planned a trip to the dealer and made a day of it in that city...lunch/dinner, shopping etc. It was nice!
smile.gif

Actually,
welcome2.gif
back to BITOG. Registered in 2003 and finally posting a question. That's some restraint.

Tough call on using the freebies if you have to drive 80 miles to get them. It's hindsight, but you should have asked for the oil and filters when you picked up the car and used them when you serviced the car yourself.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Actually,
welcome2.gif
back to BITOG. Registered in 2003 and finally posting a question. That's some restraint.

Tough call on using the freebies if you have to drive 80 miles to get them. It's hindsight, but you should have asked for the oil and filters when you picked up the car and used them when you serviced the car yourself.
I've been here the whole time I try to learn from other people's mistakes and Success..

Originally Posted By: MikeySoft
Take the free oil change.
smile.gif

Honda recommends keeping the factory oil until the MM has 15% left oil life as stated by an above post.

After your free changes, Lots of good oil as stated above. I'm using Mazda 0w20 GF 5 with molly (MGMO) in my 2013 Honda. I picked it because of the high moly and a Mazda dealer is close to me. There are other reasons why this is a good oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...oly#Post3249042

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...dem#Post2781625

+1 my brother has an 06 since new, same powertrain as yours.

Any 0w20 oil should be fine as it is a synthetic oil, after the FF change use the MaintenanceMinder until the oil change sign stays on your dashboard(0-5%? I think), these motors are not hard on oil so whatever Honda says I will follow, the motor has been in use in the US since 06

No way in [censored] I would buy a brand new Honda and use NAPA SYN oil.

I know I'm going to hear a bunch of static over this but I have had bad experiences with that oil. I changed to that in my daughters car a Kia Optima, It started eating oil like crazy, I changed back to PP and it went back to normal.

I have a new 2012 Honda with 10k miles on it, I will only use Honda full Syn for the life of the vehicle. I change it maybe twice a year, why cheap out on a new car. My opinion only and of course you'll do what your comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back