Saturn S series struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to replace a saturn sc set of struts. My choices are
Monroe sensa trac $43 front $45 rear
Ac delco premuium $54 front $60 rear
Ac delco oes $102 front $100 rear
sachs super touring $67 Front $71 rear

These are rock auto prices, not including shipping. I have replaced struts before on several cars including saturn. The last set i put on a saturn was last year. Gabriel closeouts from rock auto , and they have all failed. In 1999 i used kyb gr2 strutson an sl2, i was never happy with them at all. ( felt just like the worn out struts) So not interested in KYB.
Who has experience with which struts are the best for the money on a light weight car like a saturn. ( 2400lbs).
I'm looking for good ride quality.
Thanks!

P.S. I'm replacing the strut bearings and control arms, wheel bearings as well.

Last edited:
Well I put KYBs on mine and was happy with them.
blush.gif

Have you looked at Advance auto with coupon codes?

You'll never get great ride quality; not enough suspension travel.

Be sure to get an alignment after; the new struts will have elongated knuckle holes for camber.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Well I put KYBs on mine and was happy with them.
blush.gif

Have you looked at Advance auto with coupon codes?

You'll never get great ride quality; not enough suspension travel.

Be sure to get an alignment after; the new struts will have elongated knuckle holes for camber.

Have you ever used sensa tracs? Its possible that the kyb's are better than they were in 1999. It will get a full alignment afterwards.

Btw, eljefino, what is the best replacement clutch for this car ( 01 sc1) I see several brands.

At those prices I would probably go with the Ac Delco. Even though they are just a reboxed version of someone elses strut... They will most likely be good.

Go with the monroe gas matics at advance $26 each with 35% off code.

Lifetime warranty.

I think those were OE equipment.

The best replacement clutch is a LUK for a 91-99 with the appropriate 91-99 flywheel. Sachs is also a contender. I got the Advance auto store brand a few years ago but it was marked LUK on the parts themselves.

If you can wait until next month, Monroe will be having a rebate promotion. They usually do every March and September.

Monroe even has quick struts available for your car.

@krismoriah72, the gas-matic doesn't have a warranty, only the upper level sensa-trac and reflex.

Sachs is also a great choice, even though they don't have a quick strut.

The OE struts are probably Monroe.

Monroe Gas-Matic Strut
Part No: 81925
Warranty: LIMITED LIFETIME REPLACEMENT $29.67

Thats with the discount code and what it shows in cart at checkout.

not arguing either way.

IMO if you are go to with Monroe, either go with the higher end Sensa-trac or OESpectrum. Don't bother with the low end gas-matic.

Afterall: what good is it to you when the gas-matic decided to go south after a few month's of service (even if they come with lifetime warranty?). You know: it's the RE-and-RE that costs the most time and money, and Monroe will not compensate you for that, you know.

Q.

spasm in his first post says that he is going to do the work himself. he said that he put a set of gabriels that lasted a year, so that narrows it down to monroe and kyb, which he says he doesnt like KYB..so that narrows it down to monroe.

He is obviously shopping for the best deal, so i pointed him to the gas matics, which would be what his car came with 10 years ago.

gasmatics vs sensatrac? same gas but different valving. One is not better than the other except if you want a stiffer or softer ride on different road conditions.

KYB isnt the same as they were a couple of years ago, they went from the GR2 line to the Excel line which seems to be softer and more balanced which would be an OE type strut vs the GR2 which was stiff and was more towards performance driving.
http://www.amazon.com/KYB-234055-Excel-G-Replacement-Strut/dp/B000C40RNE

So to help the original poster, i too do my own struts and mechanic work and the savings can be passed on to better parts. I just put struts on my mothers car, her original struts lasted 14 years (90,000 miles) I got gabriels for the back $22 each, and monroes for the front $23 each. Will either of them last 14 years? who knows? but todays bottom of the line struts are as good if not better than factory 14 yrs ago and the car handles and drives like new now.

I was not knocking gabriel struts, the ones i purchased were closeouts and were really cheap, like $28 bucks cheap from rock auto. I think they were either returns or just really low end specs. I don't need quick struts as i have no problem compressing springs and installing new strut bearings.

Several people here say that the kybs are good. perhaps they have changed since 1999. I also can't remember if i replaced the strut bearings on that car in 99, its possible i did'nt and that was the problem with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
spasm in his first post says that he is going to do the work himself. he said that he put but todays bottom of the line struts are as good if not better than factory 14 yrs ago and the car handles and drives like new now.

LOL! Obviously, you haven't tried struts such as Leacree and some low-end gabriels lately...

I had enough of these low-end garbage (as returns, and premature failures, etc.) that frankly, they don't worth everybody's time (be they the car owner or the mechs who service them).

Bottomline: you still get what you pay for, now matter how you dice it.

My 2 cent's worth.

Q.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Go with the monroe gas matics at advance $26 each with 35% off code.

Lifetime warranty.

I think those were OE equipment.

Advance auto won't honor the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back