'08 Tacoma T6/0w-30 AFE and filter pics 5,000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Tacoma 4.0 4x4
80,000 on the truck, 5,000 on the oil

It's about half Rotella T6 and half Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE. There might have been a bit more M1 than T6. I can't recall for sure. That's what I had leftover in partial jugs. I ran it for 5,000 miles with an oversized Purolator Classic L20195 (pics also attached). It had some very cold starts during this time. The filter seemed to be in good condition. The ADBV was very supple and the bypass had plenty of spring to it.

It's been refilled with PYB 5w-30 and another L20195. I'm content with 5,000 mile OCIs and convinced myself that I don't need anything fancier than that right now.

9qwl5c.jpg

kbzrtg.jpg

347zq4m.jpg

29c9qx1.jpg

jzcxkw.jpg

These engines wear incredibly well, as this UOA shows.

5k miles even on PYB is under-utilizing the lube. I would consider 2x that distance, and then UOA at 10k miles and see how things are. You could quite likely even go to 15k miles, but I would not do that without an intermittent UOA check first to assure that other issues (fuel, dirt, coolant) are not an issue.

If 5k miles is your self-imposed hard limit, then I'd say go get the least expensive SM or SN you can find; any house brand would suffice.

Perhaps, although I'm happy buying PYB and a Purolator Classic at WM. It costs less than $20 and is a good match for me. The OLM goes off every 5k anyhow, so I'm happy to go about it that way.

Silicon level of 9 looks good to me. Which brand/model air filter?

I keep considering using diesel oil, but I'm afraid I might kill the cat.

Last edited:
The engine air filter was a Purolator Classic A35578.

In your climate, I'd probably run PYB or Rotella T5 10w-30 and an L20195 for 5,000 miles. I just happened to like changing it when the OLM went off every 5k. You'll only harm the cats if you're burning significant amounts of oil.

It was a nice truck. I miss it greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back