comapring the big 3 trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found a couple chevys with 305 v8 I'm going to look at. Year range 89-94 any issues with the 305 that its other siblings didn't have?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I looked at an 89 f150 302 auto shifter on the floor. The guy who bought it was an older guy and ended up having it converted from stick to an auto, motor sounded decent everything worked. Needs back glass lock tires soon and minor exhaust work. And alignment.all minor stuff but the 302 felt gutless. At 55 it had no passi g gear.......maybe transmission kick down needs adjusted......
didnt pull the trigger on it. He said he would take 1100.

Or an HO swap
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I looked at an 89 f150 302 auto shifter on the floor. The guy who bought it was an older guy and ended up having it converted from stick to an auto, motor sounded decent everything worked. Needs back glass lock tires soon and minor exhaust work. And alignment.all minor stuff but the 302 felt gutless. At 55 it had no passi g gear.......maybe transmission kick down needs adjusted......

Or an HO swap
wink.gif

it was god awful slow. Maybe the 360 has spoiled me but it was soooo sooo slow. Felt like it wouldnt pull much other than itself.

Or an HO swap
wink.gif

it was god awful slow. Maybe the 360 has spoiled me but it was soooo sooo slow. Felt like it wouldnt pull much other than itself.

I wonder if he didn't do the swap with a truck transmission so it had all the wrong ratios? The 302 was used in Mustangs so it did have plenty of power.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Or an HO swap
wink.gif

I wonder if he didn't do the swap with a truck transmission so it had all the wrong ratios? The 302 was used in Mustangs so it did have plenty of power.

not sure I think it was an aod it was a 4speed. It was a dog though. Take off was ok ish but once it hit 4th it woukdnt come out there was 0 passing gear.

Or an HO swap
wink.gif

Shouldn't be like that. The 302 in the trucks wasn't as ballsy as the HO, but it shouldn't be a raging turd either.

not sure I think it was an aod it was a 4speed. It was a dog though. Take off was ok ish but once it hit 4th it woukdnt come out there was 0 passing gear.

OK, well if you go back to look at it again, take a look at the CV cable. This sets shift points, kick-down....etc. It tells the transmission where the throttle is.

There's an upgraded brass bushing (at least for the cars) that is supposed to replace the nylon stock one, which wears and gives the cable a lot of slack.

The cable should be adjusted so that it is as far out as it can go at WOT. If it isn't, you've found your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back