Best commuter car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best commuter car for someone doing 100 miles a day in a 4-season rural area with only moderate traffic?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: M1Accord
What is the best commuter car for someone doing 100 miles a day in a 4-season rural area with only moderate traffic?

If it were me, I'd drive something fun. You're going to be sitting in it for 500 hours every year. If I ever have to go back to commuting, I'm going to drive the Vette and Trans Am as much as I can. Life is too short to spend it in an econo box or otherwise boring car.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

If it were me, I'd drive something fun. You're going to be sitting in it for 500 hours every year. If I ever have to go back to commuting, I'm going to drive the Vette and Trans Am as much as I can. Life is too short to spend it in an econo box or otherwise boring car.

While I understand your point, you need to take gas and repairs into consideration. Some people just want to get places without spending a fortune. Maybe my life is boring but I only discuss how little gas, time and maintenance I spend on my corolla.

Honda Accord w/ Mobil 1

a base Venza can be had brand new for under $10k. So cheap it is almost disposable at your mileage after 5 or 6 years with almost zero maintenance. So if you want cheap that is the way to go.

If you are looking for fun, then a new Corvette sure would be fun...especially in the country.

I guess there are a few options in between the two I listed.

Quote:

a base Venza can be had brand new for under $10k.

Lol, Versa; They aren't under 10K any more, but affordable none the less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
corolla.

For me, it would have to be something more sporty/engaging. I'd fall asleep behind the wheel on that long commute if I had to do it in a Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: expat
corolla.

+1

+2

+3

I'm not fan of these cars for mixed use personally, but a rolling couch is what you want, so this or a Camry is a good bet.

If weather is a big deal, then I'd consider Subaru, but since they are losing their mt offerings in some models, I'd avoid. No way I'd want a cvt for all that driving.

It depends upon your tolerance level.
If you find a Yaris/Fit/Versa sufficiently comfortable for this long slog any of these would give you nearly 40 mpg in actual use. I suspect that the Yaris or Fit might hold up better than the Versa.
If you need or want a more comfortable car, an Accord would be ideal and would still yield low thirties mileage in your type of driving.
A Prius would cost more while yielding much better fuel economy as would be the case with a VW diesel. Do the math.
We have a member here who's had very good results with his turbo Cruze in what sounds like similar use.
I'd probably avoid a Subaru for this kind of use. While I like the breed and we have two of them at the moment, their fuel economy is mediocre. You'd love a Subie on those few really bad days each winter and you'll pay for it in reduced fuel economy every day you drive.
A set of winter tires for any FWD car would probably be a good idea, though, given rural driving in winter.
While I don't consider them a necessity in this area with the cars that we have, we've had them in the past and they really do work.

Cruze Eco with the manual transmission. I did similar mileage for two years in mine, and it was a trooper. Still is on my commute of merely 50 miles a day now. Even in this cold weather I'm still getting about 40-41 mpg in suburban/urban expressway driving. That shoots up to about 45-46 mpg in the summer, with occasional days of 50 mpg.

Pros are decent passing power, good on gas, and a manual that's quite livable in traffic. The seats are also good for long-distance driving, at least for me. Parts are also quite cheap, and GM has worked out many of the early-production issues. Cons are the resale value is poor.

Last edited:
I do the exact same drive daily + 30 miles added on.
I have always wanted something with room that rides and handles nicely.
My current ride is an Accord. It does it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back