Isnt the 15mm socket ubiquitous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Folks know that usually Im not a big fan of HF. Their battery tester and a few other things are good values/unique, but if I can get stuff from a US source, I try to.

But I was in a shopping center with an HF, and there were coupons for free stuff without purchase, so I went in. COO or not, anyone who likes tools and equipment has to love the place in terms of walking around, since they just have so much interesting stuff...

But since Ive been talking about impact and air tools, I decided to look at the impact sockets. They had a set of Taiwan-made 1/2" drive sockets for around $12.99. Must have been these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-12-in-drive-metric-impact-socket-set-67899.html

But looking them over, they dont come with a 15mm socket. Isnt that highly useful in terms of size? Seems to me that I can disassemble most of a Mercedes with a 13mm and 15mm ratchet. I can understand why no 18mm, but Id think that they would have taken out one of those other bigger ones off the list, as they strike me as less useful.

Is this a ploy to push you towards the "pro" set? It was nicely finished, much better than the 12.99 unit, which were all mismatched in terms of coloration/lustre, and had more sizes... For like $29.99 on sale.

I think there is an SK set Ill buy on Amazon, but wanted to have a look... I have US-made Craftsman impact sockets in 3/8, but I imagine they are no longer US made.

If it only makes sense to buy a few sockets, I may just buy them individually from McMaster, as I like their Proto stuff...

You're on to something. I miss the 15mm impact socket from another (non-HF) set when going at it on my saturn.

It's frustrating when a post xmas clearance on a socket or wrench set, which would be "great for the car", is missing a key size. I just got some wrenches where 14mm was there in stubby but missing in long size. It takes buying a loose one of the same brand, scrounging ebay, etc.

Reminds me of the "supermarket china" where the plates are 49 cents for the first month then suddenly the matching butter dish is $20...

I can't answer your question, but I read the second paragraph, then I looked at the poster, then I read the second paragraph again, then the poster. Yep, lot's of neat stuff to look at even if you don't care to purchase.
cheers3.gif

My biggest complaint about HF now, they've eliminated 6 point sockets in standard depth size. Only 12 points now. Luckily I picked up two sets of laser etched 6 point sockets, one 3/8" sae, one 1/2" metric which includes a 15mm socket, before they were closed out. I like them.

This is from one of the reviews on the product at HF. Note they don't include the 10mm and 18mm as well. It seems like most bolts on my Taurus are 10mm, (at least the ones I remove).

"This is a typical nothing fancy harbor freight tool that's inexpensive yet completely functional. The sockets come in a nice steel case. The sockets themselves seem fairly precise and well made, and have a decent matte BO finish. I haven't broken any yet nor have any shown any signs of "give" under high torque. My only complaint is the range of sizes included (and not). The socket set does not have 10mm, 15mm, or 18mm sockets. Yet it includes 11mm, 14mm, and 19mm sizes, which in most cases these can be substituted with 7/16", 9/16", and 3/4" standard sockets, respecitvely. I'd rather have the more "metric" sockets."

There are industry standards for bolt head sizes for thread size. You'd think metric wrenches and sockets would at least cover the most standard sizes.

But then the automakers "cheat" and use undersized heads for reasons of their own convenience.

So if these wrenches aren't meant for working in cars... what are they for?

32.gif
What's the 11/32" wrench for? I keep getting them and not needing them.

If it's not the Pittsburgh Professional line, forget it.

15mm is very common on GM.

11/32'' is very common on aircraft.

I was able to find craftsman 10 piece at sears for 10.
They were deep impact too, nothing is made in USA anymore... not even craftsman so buy whatever seems decent for cheap and buy two.

I buy stuff from sears (craftsman) and HF and never seen 15 not included.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
nothing is made in USA anymore... not even craftsman so buy whatever seems decent for cheap and buy two.

It depends on the tool; if it's a hand tool, chances are a USA version is readily available.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I would not characterize 15mm as common.

13mm is common -- basically a half inch.

I disagree. The 15mm is very common, especially on domestic vehicles.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I disagree. The 15mm is very common, especially on domestic vehicles.

13mm is all over my euro vehicles, but 15mm is there a good deal too... Thus my surprise!

Originally Posted By: sayjac

My biggest complaint about HF now, they've eliminated 6 point sockets in standard depth size. Only 12 points now. Luckily I picked up two sets of laser etched 6 point sockets, one 3/8" sae, one 1/2" metric which includes a 15mm socket, before they were closed out. I like them.

I guess 12 point sockets have their place for ease of placement and adjustment of the angle of the square drive vs. the fastener head and the breaker bar...

But they just scare me from a rounding standpoint, and to a lesser extent, strength. Not sure really why they are so popular. I think I would understand for a box end wrench, given its inability to ratchet back and forth, but for a ratchet with a socket, I sure miss the point of why go 12pt... Though I do have both...

Originally Posted By: Phishin
To the OP...you put HF and Mercedes in the same post. I think I found your problem.

LOL. Doubt MB is the only user of 15mm bolts/nuts.

Others have mentioned GM, etc.

Two of my cars use a 15mm for the oil drain plug. Can you get more common than that?

I have a few Craftsman socket sets and I know I've had to purchase 11mm and 16mm sockets to fill the set. Maybe others too. I thought this was a pretty common practice, not just at HF.

FWIW I think almost my entire BMW car is 10,13 and 17mm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
nothing is made in USA anymore... not even craftsman so buy whatever seems decent for cheap and buy two.

It depends on the tool; if it's a hand tool, chances are a USA version is readily available.

I bought 2 10pc ratchet/socket set for $10 a set today and they were USA

In my tool trolley, the most commonly used sockets/wrenches are 10mm,12mm,14mm,15mm,17 and 19mm. with 11 mm and 13 mm being the least used.

8mm is mostly used during brake jobs (nipples, etc.)

Q.

p.s. I use 1/2" instead of 13mm.

Most Asian vehicles generally use even numbered Metric. 10,12,14,16 does most the work.
You know how it goes though. The 1 you will soon need is the 1 they left out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back