Purolator PL14610 with tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was off my wife's 2004 Accord V6 with 90k miles. I always keep the OCI at 4K miles due to lots of short trips ( less than 4 miles in below freezing temps). Filter was ran for 4K miles ( 6 months) with PYB 520. I was contemplating on skipping an oil filter change for the first time. The oil filter on this car is easily accessible so I said I might as well change it. Glad i did cause this is what I found when I opened it. The tear was only on one pleat but on both ends.

[/URL[URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/roblizares/media/DSC06236_zps8accb0ca.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/roblizares/media/DSC06242_zps0e75d1b5.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/roblizares/media/DSC06243_zps134b0b66.jpg.html]

Last edited:
Well thats no bueno. Whats going on with the Classics lately? This seems to be getting more common.

Maybe its because you went 1000 miles over Purolator's 3000 mile FCI recommendation
shocked.gif

Makes me worry about my Motorlator filters...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pictures, but that is an L14610, not a PL14610. The L series is the white can Classic like you have. The PL series is the yellow can PureONE filter. The PSL series is the blue can Synthetic filter.

What, a Purolator that tore its media? This cant be right
wink.gif
Again I say, Ill stick with FRAM.

thanks I already emailed them. I wonder what they'll do...I have opened close to 50 oil filters both Fram and purolator and this is the first time I've came across one thats defective..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stang5
thanks I already emailed them. I wonder what they'll do...

They will do nothing for you ... been down that road before. Once the filter is opened by the user they won't warranty the filter.

BUT, at least letting Purolator know that the media was torn should help their engineers scratch their heads and try to resolve this recurring failure.

My theory is that:
1) The media is stiff/brittle and tears too easily - Classic media seems more brittle than PureOne media, and,

2) The pleats need to be spaced tighter together near the seam so they don't fold over due to oil flow. The pleat tears we've seen have always been at the pleat next to the seam.

Suggest also sending them a link to this discussion thread.

Yep we've seen that exact issue before, same place and everything. What's the deal with Puro's lately it seems to be getting ever more common?

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

I'll have to cut my L14612 open and check it out as I'm due for an OC in three weeks.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Well thats no bueno. Whats going on with the Classics lately? This seems to be getting more common.

Maybe its because you went 1000 miles over Purolator's 3000 mile FCI recommendation
shocked.gif

Does this mean Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator?

I have an 820s that Im going to put on my dads 6.2 this evening. Maybe i should have stuck with M1 or WIX?

Looks to me that you cut the media with your hacksaw or whatever cutter you used.Too clean of a tear. Sometin's fishy.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Looks to me that you cut the media with your hacksaw or whatever cutter you used.Too clean of a tear. Sometin's fishy.

The tear occurred on both ends of the same pleat.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Does this mean Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator?

I have an 820s that Im going to put on my dads 6.2 this evening. Maybe i should have stuck with M1 or WIX? [/quote] Yes Motorcraft is made by Purolator, and no you needn't worry.

I will still use Motorcraft and Puro with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back