Best oil/filter combo for Jeep 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new Jeep owner and new to the board here as well. I'm just about to do my first oil change on the Wrangler 4.0L engine in my Rubicon.

I'd appreciate other's advice on the best oil and filter brand to use in this application. I live in the rocky mountains at about 4500 feet, where it's dusty and dry and we have a long cold winter with lots of snow.

I'm particularly interested in the synthetic vs. "regular" debates as well. Since I'm new and still reading the forums, please dumb it down if you can.

Suggestions?

I use a Pure one...mostly because it is a good filter and has a pretty metalic blue paint job.
grin.gif
The PL30001 or equivalent is a perfect oversized filter...

I would say the biggest issue for your application would be the dust. If you are often operating in dusty conditions, a short (~3K) oil change interval with dino might be preferable to a long one with synthetic.

I've used PureOne oil filters on my 4.0L with no issues. The only negative with that filter is the non-OEM location of the filter bypass valve. Napa Gold, Wix, Mobil1, K&N, and the last Mopar filter I looked at (8 months ago) all had the bypass on the threaded (OEM) end.

JMO FWIW

Thanks for the recommendations/advice. I see several of you recommend different wt oils from the owner's manual (10w30). Two questions:

1) Does this affect my warranty? Just want to know; I can probably live with it, and

2) Would you modify your recommendation given that I live in very cold winter climate?

Greaser,

Two questions:

1) The Iron went down; can we say definitively that it's the change in wt, or could it be because you also changed the oil formulation (different brand)?

1a) A corollary: I don't know anything about UOAs yet, does the drop in Iron mean something, or is it just an interesting fact?

2) The Magnesium went way up when you switched to D1. Same questions apply.

quote:

Originally posted by Rubimon:

Greaser,

Two questions:

1) The Iron went down; can we say definitively that it's the change in wt, or could it be because you also changed the oil formulation (different brand)?

1a) A corollary: I don't know anything about UOAs yet, does the drop in Iron mean something, or is it just an interesting fact?

2) The Magnesium went way up when you switched to D1. Same questions apply.

Delvac is a heavy duty engine oil (HDEO)that is used primarily in diesel applications but is a fleet oil used for gas also.It is sometimes hard to find and is also costly but is one of Mobil's finest oil formulations.Iron usually means cylinder/valvetrain wear...so a low iron count is better.Magnesium is and additive in the Delvac that is much higher in this oil than the regular Mobil.

Congrats on the Ruby! If I didn't have so much blood, sweat and tears invested into mine I would have one. Filter choices are subjective and everybody likes a certain brand. There has been no hard proof that any one filter is better than another just that Fram is crap due to their ****** construction. I would use a larger filter than stock like most of us do. Filters I like are Wix, Napa Golds same as Wix, Purolator Premimum Plus. HTH

Jeep sez 10W-30 for our 2001 Cherokee. Lots of folks claim 40W best, but I have my doubts . . .

On the other hand, Greaser got an excellent report and one couldn't go wrong in using such a fine oil as DELVAC.

As to filters, the only choice I make is BALDWIN B2-HPG. The Fleetguard is excellent and the DONALDSON Synteq-media is also. Both are about $15 in my area. The BALDWIN about $7 and much easier for me to get. I run 8k OCI's.

All three comprise the best longevity, performance and flow.

(I also posted a couple of UOA's under : 2001 Cherokee 242-6 when I was using Mobil One 0w-40 which turned out to be a thick 30W. Have actually written many posts about this Jeep in the different forums, some of which you may find of use).

Also recommend, highly, that you use FUEL POWER and maintain engine with A-Rx.

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
Jeep sez 10W-30 for our 2001 Cherokee. Lots of folks claim 40W best, but I have my doubts . . .

On the other hand, Greaser got an excellent report and one couldn't go wrong in using such a fine oil as DELVAC.

TanSedan, I will be very interested in your UOA of the RL 10W30. The best UOA's I've seen for the Jeep 4.0L are with D1 and I think it will be an interesting comparison between the RL and the D1.

I haven't been able to find the Baldwin B2-HPG where I live so I just run the Motocraft FL-1A.

That is an oversize filter for the I6.

Oil, I run M1 10W30.

My Jeep 4L engine saw nothing but 10w30 Mobil 1 and Purone oil & air filters. Sold it with 155,000 miles without any problems. I did 5,000 mile oil/filter changes. No leaks, no measurable oil consumption and running great at 156,000 miles.

thats cool that u have a rubi..... but i have a true classic....

a '46 cj-2a! and love it.... my jeep project for the past 3 yrs and i love tinkering on it...

not bad at all for what i paid for it and the work i have done on it...

your jeep can crawl wherever u point it!

Jeep on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back