04 Volvo V70 - Mobil1 High Mileage 10W30 - 9,194

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here my oil analysis for an OCI of 9,194 miles on Mobil1 High Mileage 10W-30.
Looks like I can push it even a bit further.
Around 7,000 with this oil I added 2oz of LC20. I'm not sure if I should use LC20 based on these results with this oil. Would like to hear your thoughts.

[coded]
2004 Volvo V70 2.4NA
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W/30
OIL USE INTERVAL: 9,194 Miles
Miles on car: 109,504

COMMENTS:
From what we can see, it looks like you shouldn't have any trouble extending your oil changes. Universal averages are based on a ~5,500-mile oil run, so your metals are way below average on a per-mile basis, and that's a good sign that the engine has no issues. We found some sodium, which isn't an additive in Mobil 1, but it could be residual from a past oil. It could also be antifreeze, but we don't see any other signs of that.
As for the LC20, it's probably not hurting, but we doubt there's much benefit, either.
Your TBN is good at 2.1, so try 11,000 miles next oil.

ALUMINUM: 3
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 8
COPPER: 3
LEAD: 0
TIN: 0
MOLYBDENUM: 64
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 4
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 1
POTASSIUM: 2
BORON: 19
SILICON: 4
SODIUM: 66
CALCIUM: 1031
MAGNESIUM: 521
PHOSPHORUS: 834
ZINC: 894
BARIUM: 0

PROPERTIES
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F: 59.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 9.96
Flashpoint in °F: 380
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: ?
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.3
TBN: 2.1
[/coded]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
tig1 - Your advice to the OP is most sensible

Its a TCI.

Tig Change Interval

Thanks guys.
I'm happy with this oil.

Would you recommend to change the oil filter half way the OCI of 10,000 at 5,000 miles ?
Oil filter is a Mann HU819X.

Originally Posted By: djmc
Thanks guys.
I'm happy with this oil.

Would you recommend to change the oil filter half way the OCI of 10,000 at 5,000 miles ?

Nice report, I'd leave the filter on for the 10K miles.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thanks guys.
I'm happy with this oil.

I wouldn't. Filters are cheap. Plus you get to remove a filters worth of old oil and replace it with new. I regularly go 10K mi/oil change on the sled but replace the filter at 5k.

Thanks for your report. I use the same oil.

Thanks guys.
I'm happy with this oil.

I'd probably leave the filter too unless it looks bad when you remove it this last time? Did that fill go the full time on the same filter?

The Mann filter is same as OEM and very high quality.

Last edited:
Welcome to reports club!
No need for LC20 , nor changing filter at 5k. Your engine is nice and clean most filters should do just fine.

Here we dont like additives, high quality oil that is SN rated will do better than mid range oil and additive.

Its simply a waste, Mobil1 is fine oil and just it it do its job!

Nice report.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Thanks guys.
I'm happy with this oil.

I wouldn't. Filters are cheap. Plus you get to remove a filters worth of old oil and replace it with new. I regularly go 10K mi/oil change on the sled but replace the filter at 5k.

Filters get better with use which is why I suggested leaving it. Most of the filters made today can handle 10K miles, especially a Mann filter. But if it makes you feel better changing it out, by all means do it.

I used only one Mann filter for this OCI of 9,194 miles.
For me it is always hard to tell how the filters looks like after I changed it out, because it is all black from the oil.
I did see tiny little 'hairs' on the outside, if that makes sense. Don't know how else to describe it. Looks like the yellow filter material the Mann filter has.

I still have the filter because my plan was to cut it in half to see what I can find on the inside on the filter.

I used only one Mann filter for this OCI of 9,194 miles.
For me it is always hard to tell how the filters looks like after I changed it out, because it is all black from the oil.
I did see tiny little 'hairs' on the outside, if that makes sense. Don't know how else to describe it. Looks like the yellow filter material the Mann filter has.

I still have the filter because my plan was to cut it in half to see what I can find on the inside on the filter.

If it isn't torn or crushed heavily, it was probably fine. Those Mann filters (at least these European OEM ones) are very strong in construction.

My '94 LS400 FCI(Filter Change Interval) is once a year up to 15-16k miles, my OCI with dino is 6-8k/6mo and 12-16/12mo with synthetic, so that I reuse filter with dino. I mostly bought low end or mid-range filters, from Fram Extra Guard to Purolator Classic to Motorcraft ...

As mentioned above, filter performs better with use and 10k OCI is nothing with a clean engine. The chipest filter can handle 6-8 grams of debris before it's in bypass mode all the times, if your engine generates more than that in 10k miles it's dying.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Thanks guys.
I'm happy with this oil.

Filters get better with use which is why I suggested leaving it. Most of the filters made today can handle 10K miles, especially a Mann filter. But if it makes you feel better changing it out, by all means do it.

I use Manns & Purolators. I was told several years ago by a mechanic that going more than 5K mi. was too much. I did cut one of mine open a few years ago after a flush to see what it had caught...not much. Perhaps my pictures are still up?

Lastly, there is also a benefit of dumping a filters worth of old oil and adding nearly a quart of new oil. I noticed this effect while reading several of the oil reports. If I remember correctly, my V70 holds about 6 quarts, including the oil cooler. So changing nearly a quart is about 17%.

Perhaps one could go to 15K, by changing the filter every 5K and toping up with new oil each 5k? Would make an interesting test.

Just because I have to happen a gallon of LC20 and FP Plus I will use both with the recommended doses and will see how my oil looks like after the next 10,000 miles.

no need to change the filter...I never get why people do that unless they have some massive sludge issues. I run 10K OCI's on my S70 and have cut open the mann filters and they look like new.

Originally Posted By: db500
no need to change the filter...I never get why people do that unless they have some massive sludge issues. I run 10K OCI's on my S70 and have cut open the mann filters and they look like new.

Me too.
Some folks believe the salesman though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back