winter wheels+tires for Cadillac ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my ATS with RWD last year knowing that I may need/want to put on a set of winter wheels+tires. Here in Southeast Michigan we've been having a doozy of a winter thus far, and while I've gotten along with the all-season tires, I think I'm going to get winter ones.

I visited the local tire shop that I've always had good luck with and got an estimate on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 in the same 225/45R17 size on these rims:

pulse_wheels_p20_blkgmf.jpg

I think they'll look good on my silver ATS. The only thing I'm not sure about is all the holes due to the wheel having both 5-110 and 5-115 bolt patterns.

And I think I'm going to spring for the extra $200 that it's going to be to get a set of TPMS sensors from the dealer. With tax and everything it'll be about $1400.

What do you guys think about the decision, choices, and cost?

Look at the lack of strength in the hub area due to the dual drilling pattern of this wheel. If it were my car, I would find a wheel style that has only the hole pattern for you car. JMO

Oldtommy

I'd ask the dealer how much a set of oe wheels and snows would cost. Iirc, back in 04, the set I bought from the saab dealer, with identical wheels to those on my car, was only around $899.

May want to go a little narrower and a larger sidewall. Tirerack recommends 215/50/17. Much better wheel selection that you can have mounted and Hunter balanced for free. Just bolt them on. All hardware included.

I spent some time this evening searching Craigslist and found a set of the following for a reasonable price:

00k0k_gDpiPs3dm6Z_600x450.jpg

They are 17 x 7.5 and have a 5 x 115 lug pattern which are the same specs as my factory wheels. They should fit fine, shouldn't they?

I can't comment on fit but if you look at that valve stem it looks like it has a sensor.

I'd jump on this!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd ask the dealer how much a set of oe wheels and snows would cost.

I talked to my dealer on Monday but they couldn't be competitive. So I asked him about the above-pictured Caddy wheels and he said they might not work because my ATS has pretty large Brembo calipers on the front. He was concerned about whether the inside diameter would provide enough clearance. So rather than chancing it, I just went with the setup the local tire shop had quoted me and had them put on today.

Yikes! Open pattern. Hope they don't fill with slush/ ice and throw off your balance.

Actually, the open pattern seems to do just the opposite and let the snow and ice "escape" rather than building up.

We got hit again in Southeast Michigan on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning this week. I'm really happy with the way these winter tires perform. I feel MUCH more confident in the handling of my RWD ATS now. Worth every penny of the $1400 I spent. My only regret is not having put them on in late November / early December BEFORE all the snow, ice, and extremely low temps decided to come for an extended stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back