oil contamination

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if contamination of new oil in a sealed original container can be contaminated by storing the oil near your regular household cleaners? I store my oil in the house on a shelf above where my wife stores her cleaning products, any thoughts? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 2bike
I was wondering if contamination of new oil in a sealed original container can be contaminated by storing the oil near your regular household cleaners? I store my oil in the house on a shelf above where my wife stores her cleaning products, any thoughts? Thanks.

I'll answer your question with another question... can you get your wife pregnant just by standing next to her?

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: 2bike

I'll answer your question with another question... can you get your wife pregnant just by standing next to her?

this

That was the reasoning for the question, I just didn't want to compromise the oils quality by being stored around household cleaners etc. Some of that stuff is nasty and I had heard of volatiles being able to seep through plastic, not the liquid but the vapors.

Quote:
Some of that stuff is nasty and I had heard of volatiles being able to seep through plastic, not the liquid but the vapors.

The only volatiles will be your wife if your oil leaks on her cleaning chemicals.

Last edited:
"People on the net" say a plastic bottle of brake fluid can absorb water from the environment over several years. I don't really believe that.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
"People on the net" say a plastic bottle of brake fluid can absorb water from the environment over several years. I don't really believe that.

I've seen firsthand proof that water can pass through plastic. I write with fountain pens, and the sealed plastic ink cartridges will drop in level over time, leaving thicker ink inside. It's slow, but it happens.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Chemicals can seep through plastic, FWIW.

I agree. I have seen many examples over many decades of storing tons of cleaning products and auto supplies inside and out.

Some do it, some do not. Perhaps its the quality of the container?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I was at an HV transformer maintenance school years ago, and the guy from EPRI (IIRC) who was running the school told us something that has stuck with me ever since.

If there is an oil leak/weep on an item of equipment (e.g. brake fluid bottle), then due to diffusion law, air WILL be getting into the equipment

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Chemicals can seep through plastic, FWIW.

I agree. I have seen many examples over many decades of storing tons of cleaning products and auto supplies inside and out.

Some do it, some do not. Perhaps its the quality of the container?

Yep. I've seen it in my lifetime so far. It has to do with the quality of container, temperature, and exposure to UV.

Molecules can permeate plastics. The smaller the molecule, the more likely the permeation. Sometimes they add a barrier layer to packaging to prevent permeation. For example, potato chip bags often have a shiny, metallic appearance inside because they use metalized plastic (look up aluminum deposition, if you're curious) to prevent oxygen from permeating through the bag and making the potato chips rancid. I seem to remember reading about the newer plastic gas tanks on cars using multilayer plastic, where a barrier layer prevents (slows) VOCs from diffusing out, to meet emission standards.

That said, myself, I wouldn't worry about motor oil.

Since this is the "Science and Technology of Oils andLubrication Additives" forum, let me take a guess.

Any component of cleaning fluid which manages to escape its plastic bottle would be airborne or collect on the surface the container was sitting on. Never would it seep into another container.

The likelihood of some solvent leaking from a metal can, collecting on a shelf and possibly dissolving an adjacent plastic container is greater. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back