Foam cannons

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on a good foam cannon that hooks up to the pressure washer? Once you apply the foam do you still us a mit to wash the vehicle or do you just rinse off the foam?

Everything I've read (I seriously considered one) suggests they really don't do much for you. Best is always two-bucket method with grit guards, a quality wash, and a good fire hose nozzle.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Everything I've read (I seriously considered one) suggests they really don't do much for you. Best is always two-bucket method with grit guards, a quality wash, and a good fire hose nozzle.

That's been my impression too. They were the hot new item for a while, but people realized they didn't do anything.

I do think a foam gun is a nice idea, because if it gets the optimum ratio of water to soap, and spreads it well, you're getting the surfactants and cleaning agents on without working them on via a sponge. No matter how clean the sponge is, the initial touchdown spot will not have dispersed the dirt, and it can grind in...

I like the idea of foam because of that...

That said, I don't get the purpose of a pressure washer for anyone who has reasonable water pressure in their home. What am I missing?

For the pro shop that doesn't want to add any marring to the Maserati paint then the foam cannon is the way.....but as a pre-soak. A two bucket wash still follows.

For the average Joe it's a big foamy toy to play with. If you're prepping a car for a show or contest judging it makes sense. If not it's a big foamy toy.

I like foam cannons. With the right soap, I believe a soak/rinse can remove some bonded stuff before a regular wash. On lightly soiled vehicle you can rinse, foam, and then start the regular wash. Given soaps can be fairly inexpensive, it does not add that much to the cost. You can mix in an APC or use something like Auto Finesse Snow Foam to bump up the cleaning.

This is something you need to try yourself to determine if you think it is useful for your wash routine. There are strong believers and strong disbelievers. It does look impressive in any event.

Last edited:
My experience is it doesn't have much more benefit than a simple soap dispenser attached to a hose.

http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0836560-Multi-Use-Hose-End-Sprayer/dp/B0000BYDNR

$10 and attaches to your hose. Though it doesn't create mountains of foam, foam isn't what does the work. It's the soap soaking onto the dirt. A decent soap soaking will loosen a lot of dirt which will flow down the side of the car, pure foam actually just suspends these and the dirt doesn't go anywhere.

p8220063pq2.jpg

Then I just take my soap saturated wash mitt and scrub the paint as normal. Then set the Dial and Spray to rinse and I'm done. No bucket needed even.

Different results coming out of a PRESSURE WASHER versus hose....
Pressure Washer is where it's key...

I've been using it all winter, almost weekly - if the weather permits, and I know a little standing water frozen on the street is okay. Right now, I have a mound of snow that will cause a pool, so no washing this week.

Heavy Foam, Dwell and 2X rinse is keeping the car somewhat nice and non-salty. I AM however doing a final rinse with a CR Spotless and I am not towel drying the car , as pure pressurewashing does not leave the paint clean enough without a mitt IMO.

The pressure washers after they go through the foam cannons lose their pressure and simply make a dense foam that sits on top of the paint.

It doesn't have the scrubbing power of high pressure water anymore. That's why those foam canons really are just a glorified soap applicator.

It's different if you have a high pressure soap dispenser that premixes soap into the pressure stream. But the foam canons take all the pressure away.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Different results coming out of a PRESSURE WASHER versus hose....
Pressure Washer is where it's key...

How so?

OT: are you the chef Wong who owns the Village Gourmet?

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
My experience is it doesn't have much more benefit than a simple soap dispenser attached to a hose.

http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0836560-Multi-Use-Hose-End-Sprayer/dp/B0000BYDNR

$10 and attaches to your hose. Though it doesn't create mountains of foam, foam isn't what does the work. It's the soap soaking onto the dirt. A decent soap soaking will loosen a lot of dirt which will flow down the side of the car, pure foam actually just suspends these and the dirt doesn't go anywhere.

That's what I use to apply salt away in the winter.

I've often wondered if it makes sense to use this with ONR as a pre wash, and then just use a regular bucket approach with soap after. The ONR suspends and removed the big stuff, and the soap just does the rest...

I think foam guns have a purpose, but a very limited one:

1) if you have heavy dirt, you can foam the vehicle with APC + car wash soap or Iron-X snow soap to add lubrication to the wash. You would still use a traditional 2BM in addition to the foaming.

2) If you have an opti-coated car that has stopped beading due to heavy dirt buildup, you can foam the car with APC to loosen up the buildup.

Other than that, I think they serve little purpose. I suppose if you have a soft, jet-black BMW that is very prone to marring, any extra bit of lubrication would help.

JH -

The foam that comes out of a pressure washer/foam gun is Considerbly more dense that if it came out of *gilmour regualar hose* setup. I just foam it down and let it dwell, before rinsing all the salt away.

For winter washing like my OP, it's pretty awesome on my jet black paint...

Once it get's warmer, I'm more of a 2 bucket wash guy....using the foamer, if it's extremely dirty..

I think soap plays a role as well, based on how well it cleans on dwell time and no mitt. But any wash without agitation is not clean. Hence, I just rinse heavy and don't take a towel to it. It really is a great combo during winter months.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwertydude

Good point and to add to it: so you put 1" of foam on your car, the upper 3/4" isn't doing anything for you other than wasting soap. The dirt doesn't swim to the top and wash off.

Lubricity is KING for me.

In the warmer months, I may do a prerinse, foam and then 2 bucket while the foam is there. Just due to how much sudz is clinging on the car already as opposed to the soap solution from bucket-mitt-paint, there is a considerably a noticable difference in lubricity added to the washing regimine.

Different strokes for different folks. For those opposed to a foam cannon, have any of ya'll used one in conjunction with a pressure washer ?

It has most definately changed how I wash during the winter.

I don't use it daily in warmer months, but I will use it when I need/want the extra lubricity it adds based on washing methods...

Originally Posted By: MKZman
I like foam cannons. With the right soap, I believe a soak/rinse can remove some bonded stuff before a regular wash. On lightly soiled vehicle you can rinse, foam, and then start the regular wash.

A lot of professionals are getting away from the foam cannons, except where they can get an appropriate soap. That's the key. Pretty foam doesn't do much. Lubricity and proper cleaning are what one wants.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
L I may do a prerinse, foam and then 2 bucket while the foam is there. Just due to how much sudz is clinging on the car already as opposed to the soap solution from bucket-mitt-paint, there is a considerably a noticable difference in lubricity added to the washing regimine.

That's how I use my foam cannon. I don't use my foam cannon for every detail, but when I do, I'm looking for thick foam and dwell time. I love mixing a good APC with my wash soap and adding that to the foam cannon when doing paint correction.

I just bought a pressure washer and foam cannon this week. I have needed the pressure washer for other things around the house; washing siding, concrete, porches and vehicles. The foam cannon looks like a great way to speed up my vehicle washing and give me a method to do a touchless wash for quick cleanings and in the winter when it is too cold to do the bucket method. Besides, Using the traditional 2 bucket wash on my big truck just takes too [censored] long!

My plan now is to rinse a wide fan on the pressure washer, foam it up, then go over everything with a sponge or long handled wash rod, rinse thoroughly again and then dry. In the winter months, I am just going to rinse, foam, let dwell for a few mintutes and then rinse again. I admittedly dont wash my truck often enough because it takes too long. I am hoping this method cuts the time in half at least.

I have a t shaped brass fitting for our pressure washer that goes on right before the hose. The t runs down a hose into a screened filter for soap and chemicals.. im assuming. I still have yet to figure it out.

I should look into a foam gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back